Danitrio Densho, Ebonite Feeds?

Silent Speaker

Hellow,

I'm trying to determine whether or not current Danitrio Densho models come with ebonite feeds. There are ancient (by site standards: over a decade) reviews for those long extinct raw ebonite models that mention ebonite feeds, but I've not managed to find anything definite about recent stuff. After all, it's been a while and things might have changed over at Danitrio. I know the larger #8 nibs on the Mikado et. al. are ebonite still, but that model doesn't concern me currently.

Anyone here have a recent - say, in the last year or two? - Densho with an ebonite or a plastic feed?

Thank you berry much.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• jaytaylor

• Silent Speaker

• rpsyed

I don't recall the Densho having an ebonite feed. I don't think any of the pens that used the #6 size nibs had an ebonite feed. The larger nib #8 pens do have the ebonite as you noted.

I have had a lot of Danitrio pens over many years so I am pretty sure of my answer.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Of the three Denshos I've had, none had an ebonite feed. Danitrio uses Bock nibs and nib housings for its #6 nibs if my memory serves me well.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Of the three Denshos I've had, none had an ebonite feed. Danitrio uses Bock nibs and nib housings for its #6 nibs if my memory serves me well.

The oldest gold nibs had a "T" design and get stiff and made by Jowo. The later "fireball" design nibs can be pretty soft and are indeed Bock. Both had plastic feeds.

Fanks folks,

You've saved me monies for other funsies. I guess it's Mikado or nothing for me then.

(though I do wonder what those old reviews were on about; can't tell because all the damnable pics have been photobucketed!).

• 3 weeks later...

My Densho has an ebonite feed. Not sure when it was made since I got it in a trade but it's definitely an ebonite feed. I'll take a photo and post a little later.

To be honest though, if you plan to only get one Danitrio, I'd go for the Mikado.

Not the greatest photo but hopefully this helps. It looks like the same feed seen on the ebonite #6 nib units that you can find on fpnibs.com

CswuZ1h.jpg

88HHFee.jpg

Edited by rpsyed

My Densho has an ebonite feed. Not sure when it was made since I got it in a trade but it's definitely an ebonite feed. I'll take a photo and post a little later.

To be honest though, if you plan to only get one Danitrio, I'd go for the Mikado.

Curious. Perphaps those old reviews can be explained by the fact that Danitrio changed from ebonite to plastic for their #6's at some point. Do you perchance have the older style nib with the big "T"? Or the newer one with the stylized flaming lotus thingy?

I am thinking that the Mikado is the way to go. I'd like to have the Namiki jumbo #50 on hand to make a comparison before a final decision though.

Thanks for the pic!

Edited by Silent Speaker

If it is the pen I traded then it is the fireball nib. I think I also have a pic of a Mikado vs Namimi #50. I definitely have some comparison shots of the large Danitrio nib and the Namiki, even ifnin a different body. I'll see of I can post one when I am at a computer.

Namiki #50 vs Danitrio #8 on my now dpearted Sho-Genkai Raw Ebonite LE pen (more like a rounded off Mikado).

fpn_1516832565__20160408_135924_resized_

Here are the pens side by side.

fpn_1516832702__20160408_135944_resized_

Edited by zaddick

If it is the pen I traded then it is the fireball nib. I think I also have a pic of a Mikado vs Namimi #50. I definitely have some comparison shots of the large Danitrio nib and the Namiki, even ifnin a different body. I'll see of I can post one when I am at a computer.

Yep, its the blue urushi Densho you traded me.

• 2 months later...

On an Urushi Densho:

both are textured but are plastic

Namiki #50 vs Danitrio #8 on my now dpearted Sho-Genkai Raw Ebonite LE pen (more like a rounded off Mikado).

Thank you both for the comparison pics.

One thing on the Mikado/Emperor(jumbo) debate: at least Danitrio's nibs come in more than two nib widths. I find myself leaning broader with each passing year and would love a vermilion jumbo with a stub. As it stands it calls to mind a hippo trying to figure skate on a child sized ice skate.

Oh well.

Too bad danitrio no longer do karanuri Tsugaru-nuri, coz the choice would've been damned easy for me.

• 1 year later...

I've been out the FP loop for quite some time and didn't realise more Danitrio Densho ebonite raw's had been produced since the run in 2006 or thereabouts.

I still have a Densho ebonite raw from that period and remember the first batch to be shipped (as mine is) came with a plastic feed, it was clearly plastic and of a typical plastic moulded construction.

These were quickly replaced under warranty due to ink feeding issues with ebonite feeds and during this time I ordered an additional, more firm nib which shipped with an ebonite feed inside a plastic inner section housing. These were not only obviously ebonite, machined from solid stock but also supplied from the local forum representative as ebonite and look near identical to the feeds in post no.12 where they are claimed to be plastic. I believe post no.12 to be incorrect and that the pictured feeds are in fact ebonite.

All the Densho raw nibs from this period were of the flame design so I'm not sure of the mention of T nibs earlier in this thread and that the flame nibs were later, which they were not. The flame nibs are contemporary to the very first Densho raws.

The Jowow T nibs do predate ththe switch to Bock and the fire all design. However, you could still request a T nib even after the fireballs were the default choice. It is not a hard a fast date when it went form A to B.

I am the author of post 12. The feeders are moulded and not ebonite. Dry heat had absolutely no effect on these which I discovered to my dismay when trying to resolve some issues with these pens. Denshos are not for me. The genkais and mikados have an ebonite feed. You can tell the jowo and bock ebonite feeders apart. Ultimately the genkais had to go too and only the mikados are the pens I retained.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I am the author of post 12. The feeders are moulded and not ebonite. Dry heat had absolutely no effect on these which I discovered to my dismay when trying to resolve some issues with these pens. Denshos are not for me. The genkais and mikados have an ebonite feed. You can tell the jowo and bock ebonite feeders apart. Ultimately the genkais had to go too and only the mikados are the pens I retained.

The feed you show in the photos is identical to my two Densho ebonite feeds as supplied by Winedoc. I've had these feeds fully extracted and they are clearly machined from solid stock and wick ink just as my other ebonite feeds do.

Please refer to my post from 2006.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/19613-danitrio-densho-flow-woes/?hl=%2Bdensho+%2Bplastic+%2Bfeed&do=findComment&comment=178917

To quote Winedoc -

"When first the Densho prototype came out, it had the plastic feed as the pen was fitted with regular nibs. That worked well. Then Danitrio decided to fit it with flexy nib, which the plastic feed did not support. I found the problem and notified them quickly about this and all plastic feeds that were having problems were quickly exchanged. I am sure yours is one that was not changed and still has the old feed. The ebonite feed will require a different nib holder, so please feel free to send me the section with nib/feed and I'll change it for you. I'll also take a look at the nib for you. thanks"

Edited by jaytaylor

The ebonite feeds supplied by Kevin.

48069886123_f7a75ff8ce_z.jpg

48069940917_d8cb467748_z.jpg

Edited by jaytaylor