Kaweco Liliput Nib Sizes

sub_bluesy

Can anyone tell me how the Liliput nibs compared to, say, a Lamy safari style nib in widths? Im going to pick up a Liliput in Fireblue but this is my first Kaweco. Is it standard European line widths? I like a Lamy medium nib width BUT a micro pen in double broad does have a crazy appeal to it! I cant believe Ive made it this long without a Kaweco but nows the time! I want to expand the micro fountain pen segment of my collection. My only other right now is a Montegrappa Micra and I really like that pen. Cheers!

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NicolausPiscator

• SoulSamurai

• sub_bluesy

• inkstainedruth

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two Kaweco Sport pens, 1 fine and 1 medium. The fine is on the finer side for a European pen, but the medium is a true medium. I also have a Liliput with a medium nib but for some reason, it's ever so slightly wider than the medium on my Kaweco Sport.

You should check out the "nib nook" on Goulet Pen Co.'s website. You can compare Lamy nibs to the Kaweco nibs.

Good luck! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Oh, and Happy New Year! 😁

Well, I have two Liliput fountain pens, both with a fine nib, but I would say that it tends more to medium than to fine. However, I love fine and extra fine and ultra extra fine Japanese nibs. So every European fine nib would be a medium nib for me. Anyhow, the Liliput is in my opinion a small but good writer and excellent for jeans pocket storage. And the Fireblue one is extremely beautiful.

Kaweco tends to be a tiny bit finer than Lamy but the nibs have more flexibility.

Edited by Astron

For those who have Lilliputs, how do you like them? I've been told that they take converters, but I've also heard bad things about the quality of Kaweco converters. I really like the look of the Fireblue ones, but don't really have the budget for a pen that expensive if it turns out to only take small cartridges.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I really like my Liliput. It's such a fabulous design. I have a squeeze converter for it, and it's OK. It has limitations, but I accept them. It's a tiny pen, it's never going to have enormous ink capacity. The squeeze converter only ever fills about half full (if you're lucky), so the capacity really is tiny. You'd get more in filling it with a syringe, or refilling a small international cartridge. I just squeeze-fill the converter (and had no problems with failure, just capacity) and just live with the small ink capacity. It means I can change colour more often :-)

It helps that I have an EF nib on mine.

For those who have Lilliputs, how do you like them? I've been told that they take converters, but I've also heard bad things about the quality of Kaweco converters. I really like the look of the Fireblue ones, but don't really have the budget for a pen that expensive if it turns out to only take small cartridges.

Liliputs are wonderful as they are handsome, small and good writers. The question of converters is a bit complicated and I think it depends on the user. I have several Kaweco converters and never had problems with them. However in my Liliputs I don't use converters but cartridges which I refill. And, yes, alas, the Liliputs just take small cartridges.

I had the black aluminium one (might still have it...). I liked the looks and the design, but it wasn't the best writer (a touch of skipping, not particularly smooth), the grip was too slim and slippery for me, and it wasn't the most convenient pen to use what with all the screwing and unscrewing the cap all the time. Plus I think it's overpriced for a standard nib unit and a small aluminium tube. Now I can't find it, so I don't know if I dropped it somewhere outside the house or if it's just lying under some papers or furniture somewhere inside.

I'm thinking about buying a new one. Basically, I loved it despite its faults, because it's just a great design.

I just put in my order and went a little crazy opting for a double broad. There was no increase in price for the double broad nib and it looks like I can pick up a 060 medium Kaweco nib for about $9 if I change my mind later. I might grind the double broad to a stub also. That would be pretty unique. A tipped 1.1mm stub pocket pen! Sounds like fun especially on a pen with a unique finish.

Edited by sub_bluesy

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

Hmm... I have two Liliputs (black and silver, both aluminium) and they are both good writers and meticulously made, the threads fit perfectly well, the ink flow is Kaweco-standard (of course nothing compared with a high-quality pen but anyhow nice and reliable). Reliable is the word I would choose to fit best to the Kaweco fountain pens and the company. Of course it is not old Kaweco (which made excellent nibs which some people would describe as flexible) but a modern brand revivification and not the worse of all. The price is always a very individual matter and I have to admit the price for the black and silver Liliputs was the limit for this pen for me. Although I love the Fireblue one I would habe bought for the 100 $ a Pilot Custom 74 or a Platinum 3776 with an extraordinary gold nib. Anyhow, I am happy with my Liliputs which I use as pocket pens.

Oh, I forgot to mention: my Lilliput was one of my most drying-resistant pens when capped, easily going many weeks nib-up without hard-starting.

When uncapped it would dry out quickly and skip on the first letter if I stopped for a bit to think (I think the skipping issue were more drying related than baby's bottom or anything). This thread has me wondering if it would be possible to replace the nib and feed in a Lilliput with a sealed unit, like a Pelikano's nib and feed. If I ever find my pen, I might try it.

BTW: I have a Loclen Tiny brass fountain pen. I don't like it. The grip is better than the Lilliput, but I don't like the weight, balance or feel of the brass, the threads are more... "offensive" (the Lilliput threads are so subtle you barely notice them, yet they work perfectly), and the cap and barrel both screw into the section. After using it a couple of times the cap somehow got stuck and I couldn't uncap it, instead the barrel just kept coming off. It took a lot of work to get the cap off the section, at which point I cleaned the pen and put it away.

Edited by SoulSamurai