Esterbrook transitional J 1551 - Eclat de Saphir

Parker 51 Special (?) - Serenity Blue

Pelikan M200 Cognac F - Teal

TWSBI 580 B stub - Daintree Green

Pelikan M200 brown marbled M - Evergreen

Pelikan M200 blue marbled old style OB - Petrol

fpn_1515527468__inked_on_192018.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• HalloweenHJB

• LizEF

• FPRebel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

January Perfect Match made me consider how colours in nature often seem to be a perfect match, but I'm not very good at drawing. Therefore my perfect match idea has taken a while to get to fruition.

This is a British Blue Tit, and I think it's blue and yellow colours are a perfect match.

I used P.I. Ama-iro, Diamine Sunshine Yellow and Diamine Earl Grey:

fpn_1515580873__blue_tit.jpg

January Perfect Match made me consider how colours in nature often seem to be a perfect match, but I'm not very good at drawing. Therefore my perfect match idea has taken a while to get to fruition.

This is a British Blue Tit, and I think it's blue and yellow colours are a perfect match.

I used P.I. Ama-iro, Diamine Sunshine Yellow and Diamine Earl Grey:

fpn_1515580873__blue_tit.jpg

I love it! :wub:

This looks pretty good too:

http://www.paradoxcommunity.com/vps/01-2PerfectMatch.jpg

Interesting combination. Bright and subdued at the same time. Works nicely.

And just in case anyone wants to see fascinating color combinations, there's a handy book that puts things together with the CMYK numbers. It's somewhat fun to look at the colors and think about which inks come closest to what the author is using.

[Apologies for the terrible photos —it's a very dark, gloomy, rainy day here in Indianapolis, and there is very little natural light today.]

fpn_1515590410__2018-01-10_081714.jpg

fpn_1515590428__2018-01-10_081733.jpg

I don't think this will be most people's idea of a perfect match - but it makes my cone cells happy..... :-)

post-100486-0-61164700-1515592243_thumb.jpg

Verba volant, scripta manent

And just in case anyone wants to see fascinating color combinations, there's a handy book that puts things together with the CMYK numbers. It's somewhat fun to look at the colors and think about which inks come closest to what the author is using.

[Apologies for the terrible photos —it's a very dark, gloomy, rainy day here in Indianapolis, and there is very little natural light today.]

I need to check out this book!

Thanks, HJB. :)

Thank you. :) I keep looking at it and thinking this bit and that bit could be better. I never know when to stop tinkering. :huh:

Hah! Spoken like an artist. We're hypercritical of our own work, seeing every flaw.

A number of years ago they ran an arts competition at the thing I go camping at, run by someone I knew. One of my campmates came back after the entries laughing herself sick. The rules were that you had to *judge* your own category (or find someone to do it for you). And some woman, upon hearing that, apparently said "Well, I'm the only one who does what I do, so I'd have to give myself a perfect score!" And the woman in charge said "Well, you do whatever you think is best...." But my campmate could not WAIT to tell that story to the rest of us -- most of whom did arts and sciences stuff of various sorts (needlework, cooking, music, costuming, etc.) -- and we were all staring at her like she had two heads! And we were going "Who was this crazy person?" Artists and craftspeople know exactly what they did "wrong" in a piece. Trying to remember if I ever told the story to a guy from central NYS, who is a phenomenal jeweler and metalsmith, who related to me a couple of years ago that he entered an A&S competition once with a bunch of what he called "failed" pieces. People thought he was crazy -- but he said that every one of those pieces he *learned* something from.... And I was going "Yup, I get you *completely*...."

I once did a very complicated needlework piece in a technique called slanted pattern darning" (I don't remember the precise term -- it's a medieval Icelandic technique) for a major competition. It took nearly a year to complete. I had to chart several different interlaced diamond patterns from looking at photos of the original embroidery (four different color threads in each diamond). On the first diamond I did, I made a mistake in counting. People say to me "There's a mistake? WHERE?" because they don't see it -- but *my* eyes go right to it EVERY TIME.... It was extremely hard to make sure I didn't have any OTHER mistakes in it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't think this will be most people's idea of a perfect match - but it makes my cone cells happy..... :-)

attachicon.gifKWZ Mandarin + Maroon.jpg

Not what I would personally have picked to go together, but it absolutely works -- I think your piece is lovely.

What I learned in some of my color and design classes is that you can make ugly colors work well together. And I was really happy with the results of a design for inside a stairwell, at the landing for each floor. I used blue and green.... And if you pick the *right* hues/shades/tints :eureka: that can be a great combination (I used a light lime green and a bright blue that I would maybe call cerulean blue -- think stuff like Diamine Kelly Green or Meadow Green, paired with Diamine Turquoise or Aqua Blue; and it WORKED! :thumbup: Really proud of myself on that design: sort of chest-high stripes up the wall in one color, ending in an arrow pointing to the floor # written out in letters (don't recall the font I used, but I used all lower case letters IIRC), in the other color. Then that color started the stripe up to the next floor.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

January Perfect Match made me consider how colours in nature often seem to be a perfect match...

attachicon.gifKWZ Mandarin + Maroon.jpg

Chrissy, your blue tit drawing is very nice - great proportion and color. You made a wonderful observation about looking to nature for color matches. :-)

Migo, the colors and your drawing are super! I wouldn't have thought of them, but what a fantastic illustration of looking to nature.