Ink Syringes

tvradio

I've seen them at 1" and 4", with plastic needles and with metal ones.

For refilling cartridges are there any preferred choices in length or material?

Reusable? Disposable?

“We could be heroes/Just for one day” ― David Bowie

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tvradio

• kestrel

• Bo Bo Olson

• bob_hayden

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the size is not that important as most cartridges hold less than 1ml. Regarding needles I prefer blunt metal ones - the plastic needles are rather thick and short.

I reuse syringes and needles for ink or cleaning.

These are marked as disposable, which is very reasonable when used in their intended medical field though....

br,

tom

I have several syringes, 5 or 10 ml, with blunt metal needles, 2 to 4 " long. Have had them for over 10 years, use them to fill pens with ink, clean cartridges and convertors, and even clean a few piston pens. Would be lost without them.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Syringes, especially the plastic ones, come a dime a dozen. If you want to make sense of it, they can come in 1, 5,10 and even 30 and 60ml sizes. If you are looking to slap a needle on it, look for ones with what's called a Luer lock attachment. The needle essentially screws into that part. Needles come in all sorts of gauges, but the lower the gauge, the larger the bore/diameter, and the more useful it is to us pen folks. While trying to fill a cartridge with a 33 gauge insulin needle would take forever, it'd be a snap to fill it with a 12 gauge blunt drawing needle intended to draw from vials. Most needles are steel and will rust as they are intended for single use only.

Also, after the needle has proven its usefulness to you, please take used needles to your local pharmacy or medical place for disposal. You don't know the anguish of getting a needle stick from an unknown source, to have to undergo months of waiting and a barrage of testing.

I hope my medical insight has proven useful.

Any specific syringes and metal blunt needles to recommend?

Goulet Pens sells a 5mm 2-pack for $5 but does not indicate Luer Lock or gauge.

I also see on Amazon this 18-gauge 10-pack Luer Lock package for $8.99, this one with the same specs for $7.39, and this 12-pack with six 14-gauge and six 18-gauge.

Goulet pens for good ink syringes. I rinse them well after each use. Makes refilling cartridges much neater and cleaner. I put very little ink in the syringe so as not to overfill the cartridge by accident.

In Australia - LarryPost has blunt needle 3ml syringes for $1.50 each. I have one that I've been using to refill and clean out cartridges (by squirting water into the bottom of the cartridge) for over a year. Lots of use and it hasn't rusted yet. I did get a second one as a spare but haven't needed to open the package yet.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Search eBay for

Syringe with Blunt Tip Needles and Caps for Oil or Glue Applicator Pack of 20

I bought these for about $13 (65 cents each) and have been very happy with them. I reuse them so it's a lifetime supply. The little ones are good for dealing with cartridges, the big ones for dealing with mixing ink. I have no financial stake here, just a satisfied customer.

Search eBay for

Syringe with Blunt Tip Needles and Caps for Oil or Glue Applicator Pack of 20

I bought these for about $13 (65 cents each) and have been very happy with them. I reuse them so it's a lifetime supply. The little ones are good for dealing with cartridges, the big ones for dealing with mixing ink. I have no financial stake here, just a satisfied customer.

Thanks. I used that search term and found the ebay auction you mentioned, for $13.59. But an earlier search result in the list has a similarly described and photographed 10-pack on Amazon for $8.16 with free Prime 2-day shipping, which is in line. Since I don't need 10 syringes, let alone 20, I think I'll end up going for one of the smaller pack deals.

I'll admit that I went cheap and bought a ten pack of syringes at a pharmacy. Whenever I need a new one, I blunt the tip on a sharpening stone my husband had in one of his toolboxes. I think they're the ones used for people who are diabetic. I had originally bought three and then bought the ten pack and have never opened the package....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You can also use disposable needle-point pipets or transfer pipets available from biological supply houses. In the U.S. Carolina Biological, Wards, and Flynn sell them in lots of 100. This is what the needle-point pipets look like:

https://www.carolina.com/biotechnology-pipets/disposable-plastic-needle-point-pipets/214561.pr

They are disposable so there is less chance of contamination and staining is not a problem (BSB). Although intended for one time use they can also be rinsed and reused. They show up at flea markets and surplus houses at steeply discounted prices occasionally.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

You can also use disposable needle-point pipets or transfer pipets available from biological supply houses. In the U.S. Carolina Biological, Wards, and Flynn sell them in lots of 100. This is what the needle-point pipets look like:

https://www.carolina.com/biotechnology-pipets/disposable-plastic-needle-point-pipets/214561.pr

They are disposable so there is less chance of contamination and staining is not a problem (BSB). Although intended for one time use they can also be rinsed and reused. They show up at flea markets and surplus houses at steeply discounted prices occasionally.

Thanks. I'd seen pics of those pipets but didn't know what they were.
At 1ml they look like they'd just need one or two fill-ups to fill an international short cartridge! But I'd not want to use one to have to fill anything much bigger. Interestingly, the company you linked to, Carolina, sells those on Amazon for the same price (and the same $7.95 shipping, unfortunately).
You make an interesting point about contamination but I haven't heard about this being an issue with ink needle reuse.
So, $28 for 1000 little disposable pipets, or $7.49 for a 10-pack of 3ml syringes and 10 metal needles that could be reused (with the potential for staining/contamination). Got to mull it over.
Edited by tvradio

1 ml syringes are usually called tuberculin or insulin syringes. They are most useful for mixing small amounts of ink or refilling cartridges or converters.

You can get various sizes (or gauges) of blunt dispensing needles on eBay.

You may need to check what the laws in your area are regarding syringes.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

1 ml syringes are usually called tuberculin or insulin syringes. They are most useful for mixing small amounts of ink or refilling cartridges or converters. You can get various sizes (or gauges) of blunt dispensing needles on eBay. You may need to check what the laws in your area are regarding syringes.

I'm in NYC - Gotham, La Gran Manzana, the Wild Wild East. Not really a problem here. ;)

I just looked a little more closely on Amazon and saw a huge variety of 'pipettes' (instead of the 'pipet' spelling I'd been using) and found many top-rated sellers offering 2ml and 3ml packs of 150-200 pipettes for $7-$8 with free same-day(!) Prime shipping. So if I go that route I think I could get several years' worth of use out of one of those orders, and not have to deal with cleaning syringes or deal with possible contamination.

I went with the 20 pack because they were advertised as not for reuse. In fact, I have reused them several times, and so indeed 20 may be too many. But then maybe not, I really do not know yet whether they are good for 10 or 10,000 reuses.

Do flatten the needle with a sharpening stone, unless you want tattoos.

Been using one like Randal said, and for years.

You also need two rubber baby bulb syringes. One for regular CC pens, the other cut the spout off enough to fit the screw out Esterbrook or Pelikan/Geha/Osmia nibs to clean the feed fast.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You also need two rubber baby bulb syringes. One for regular CC pens, the other cut the spout off enough to fit the screw out Esterbrook or Pelikan/Geha/Osmia nibs to clean the feed fast.

Picked up a 3-pack earlier this month! :thumbup:

I went with the 20 pack because they were advertised as not for reuse. In fact, I have reused them several times, and so indeed 20 may be too many. But then maybe not, I really do not know yet whether they are good for 10 or 10,000 reuses.

I've now got the 10-pack set sitting in my wishlist, next to a similarly-priced 300-pack set of disposable plastic 3ml pipettes.

Go metal. Pointed or blunt? Unless you are a total klutz, no difference. I have been using pointed for years and am still alive.