Emma - Rohrer & Klingner Sketch Ink

visvamitra

Rohrer&Klingner produces wonderful inks. I think it's the company that's criminally underrated in fountain pen afficionados circles.

sketchINK® is a range of 10 inks for fountain pens. They are - as most pigment inks - exceptionally waterproof and lightfast.

fpn_1514448683__sketch.jpg

R&K uses nano pigments to enable an optimal ink flow. However, it has to be said that waterproof inks can cause clotting in fountain pens. Therefore it's reasonable to clean pens filled with it regularly.

I bought two of these inks Lilly and Emma. Both are nice and behave fairly well for a pigment ink.

Bottle

The inks are sold in 50 ml glass bottle. While it's not as nice as some ink bottles are, it's practical.

fpn_1514535184__emma_bottle.jpg

Ink Splash

fpn_1514535200__lilly_rk_is.jpg

The ink feels well lubricated and flows well. Jinhao nib is quite dry and yet the ink flows well. Drying time is reasonable and water resistance is impressive.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1514535222__emma_rk_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1514535255__emma_ox_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1514535274__emma_ox_4.jpg

Copy paper, Jinhao x750, m

fpn_1514535301__emma_hrk_1.jpg

fpn_1514535326__emma_hrk_2.jpg

Fabriano, Jinhao x750, m

fpn_1514535370__emma_ox_1.jpg

fpn_1514535404__emma_ox_2.jpg

Rhodia, Jinhao x750, medium

fpn_1514535422__lilly_rk_rhodia_1.jpg

fpn_1514535463__lilly_rk_rhodia_2.jpg

fpn_1514535484__lilly_rk_rhodia_3.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1514535606__emma_h2o.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Torrilin

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

• Syene

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Emma looks similar to Alt-Goldgrün in R&K's standard line of inks. It would be interesting to see a sample comparing the two.

Also, what are the differences between the "SketchINK" family of inks and R&K's "Dokumentus" line (which are also waterproof)?

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I’ve got a pen loaded with alt goldgrun now, and this review makes me really want a sample of this to compare. Because the washable ink is a delight for drawing trees, and it looks like this ink might have a lot of the same effect. You wouldn’t think green ink would be great for drawing but it’s surprisingly useful.

And it looks like the bottles are $12 for 50mL which is extremely nice for a permanent ink. Most nanopigment inks are very expensive. Worth it because it’s not like a Micron or other archival felt tip marker is cheap. But $12 is markedly cheaper, because it’d be around $150 locally to get that many microns at $3 each.

If you decide to review the others I look forward to it.

Wow. That looks lovely. I'd not heard of this line and will have to check it out. Thank you!

Yet another Sarah.

• 3 weeks later...

Whaaaa ? I missed this :wacko:

Me, too! I need to check out Jule...but I'll refrain from saying that in front of my wife.

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Me, too! I need to check out Jule...but I'll refrain from saying that in front of my wife.

post-42152-0-50120200-1517258922_thumb.jpeg

Jule is the purply one. Theres maybe a hint of pigment lifting, but it looks promising for watercolor. Kaweco caramel brown and sunrise orange are the two washable inks. Platinum Carbon Black is the black. You can definitely see pigment lifting, but not enough to be of use for shading.

post-42152-0-93981700-1517259094_thumb.jpeg

Yes, thats evidence of sediment settling out in my sample of Jule and Lilly. I have no evidence of problems with the ink, but I cannot swear that my refilled Platinum Preppy cartridge is representative of the ink. I cant remember if I made sure to shake the ink vial before testing. And if youve got a clog prone pen, Id definitely be careful with an ink showing evidence of sediment like Jule. Theres a reason I tried it in a Preppy first.

I tried to get Carmen, Lotte and Emma to show evidence of sediment but so far, nada.

post-42152-0-76267700-1517259117_thumb.jpeg

The waterbrush swabs are just super pretty so I had to share.

So far no drawing testing on watercolor paper, or with broad nibs. Winter in WI, all images are taken in a north facing window. I dont have sample images yet with different lighting. But this at least gives a taste.

Emma looks similar to Alt-Goldgrün in R&K's standard line of inks. It would be interesting to see a sample comparing the two.

post-132839-0-54221400-1517275378_thumb.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Thank you for posting the side-by-side swatches of Emma and Alt Goldgrun; I was wondering about that too.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter