Kwz 150Th Confederation Brown (Scriptus 2017)

white_lotus

For the last couple years KWZ and BauerInks.ca have collaborated in producing an ink for the Scriptus Pen Show in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. 2015 was Maple Leaf Red. 2016 resulted in the fabulous Northern Twilight. 2017 produced an ink commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation. There were many homages to this event, usually in precious things you could buy, such as commemorative currency, stamps, etc. For Scriptus, it was an ink. A brown ink. Or maybe it's a green ink that wants to be a brown ink. Or maybe the reverse, green that wants to be brown. For this reason alone the ink could be divisive.

The ink has decent flow, and OK lubrication. This particular nib was originally quite problematic, but was worked on my Linda Kennedy of Indy-Pen-Dance to "Binderize" it. It writes much more smoothly now, but some inks can bring out a less smooth writing experience. The 150th shows much more feedback than some other inks. But it's not outside a normal range of expectations. I do get some hard starts when left uncapped for 15 seconds or so. Not very hard, but you lose part of a stroke. It's not as much of a problem as I have with KWZ Baltic Memories at all, just a minor issue. I'm still trying to decide if I like the ink: I think the answer is leaning towards yes.

The Tomoe River image is very good as a representation of the ink showing it's green side. Depending upon the light it can appear more brown or more green. Both MvL images are too dark, but they show the brown side with a bias to the green. The Rhodia images, while a little dark shows the color on it's green side, which is what I see on the paper.

I admit when I first started using the ink last night under artificial lighting the ink didn't seem very interesting. But the same things I wrote last night now appear more brownish-greenish, and more interesting. I know the light is natural now. So will I see things as more green at night? I don't know. As I mentioned in another thread some will call the color "fallen leaf brown" and others "pond scum green". Where you fall on that scale probably will determine whether you'll like the color or not. When placed against a brown ink it definitely appears greenish, and when compared to a green ink, it appears brownish. In value it is similar to many other green inks in middle range. It is not dark like KWZ Midnight Green.

The ink is not waterproof and not water resistant. So if that's an important criteria for you, exercise caution, or buy permanent inks.

I'll have to post the water resistance test and the simple chromatography images later, after they dry.

This ink was limited edition for the Scriptus 2017 pen show. Bauerinks.ca purchased the remainders of what didn't sell at the show. I don't know if there are any bottles left, but they ask interested parties to make an inquiry. I think the biggest issue for those outside Canada will be shipping charges since mailing inks apparently is more expensive there.

Pen: Edison Mina (M-steel)

Papers: MvL=Mohawk via Linen, TR=Tomoe River, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet, Rhodia=Rhodia 90g ivory.

Camera: iPhone 7 using Camera+ app

fpn_1514393500__orjle4382.jpg

fpn_1514393624__vlkce9791.jpg

fpn_1514393559__jyzxe3414.jpg

fpn_1514393590__ruxte6191.jpg

fpn_1514407363__anvce9798.jpg

fpn_1514407406__tpjqe5480.jpg

Edited by white_lotus

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• NicolausPiscator

• Runnin_Ute

• Mew

Thank you for a most comprehensive introduction to this ink. I was smitten with it when it was originally announced & made peace with the fact that it was going to be sold out & not obtainable. I was happy when a kind Canadian friend included me when he got his ink & I received an ink I would not have had. I was even happier when Bauer inks announced their "leftovers" & was able to receive a bottle for another "stateside friend." Yes shipping is expensive, but the ink is reasonably priced so it balances out & indeed is less expensive than many inks I have purchased from Japan.

Mine has been in a Kaweco Sport with it's 14kt gold nib & like yours seems greenish but darkening to a deeper brown after drying awhile. I consider it an interesting ink if you like the "murky" greens & browns, which I do. I am grateful to have the opportunity to use it & thank you for your attention to this ink.

Yes I'm sorry that in such a limited edition ink that there may have been such variation in the production.

Only if the ink from my bottle looked like this

Your bottle looked different?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hi

@white_lotus thank you for your detailed review!

@Mew so sorry to hear about your dissapointment, I have seen your other posts too.

I would like to assure you that there was no any variation of this ink as only one batch was made. This is the nature of this ink, it can look very pale when a drier pen is used and can look very rich in wet nibs and additionally it is extremely paper dependant. That was the idea behind this ink that is why it was chosen by the organisers of the Scriptus Toronto Pen Show. The unexpected visual effects make it uniqe and that is why it is limitted as a show souvenir and not offered in regular line-up. I would like to encourage you to try it in a wetter pen.

Best wishes

Mrs. KWZI

Hi Mrs. KWZI

I'm already using it in the wettest pens that I have: Pelikan M800 Brown Tortoise F nib and Conid kingsize. Both the nibs have a great flow with average drying time of 20 sec+ of all inks on Tomoe River. Both of them are wetter than an average medium nib.

In any case, irrelevant now. I'm not using this ink again. It was too unpleasant to use. Flow and lubrication both weren't nice (nowhere close to the last year's ink - Northern Twilight) and it's a bit undersaturated.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting ink. At first, I didn't know what to think of it and whether I would

like it. As I used it more, it began to grow on me. I have used it in two or three different pens so far.

My Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne ( B), Pelikan M200 brown marbled (M), perhaps something else I can't

recall right off, and currently a Noodler's Konrad which I put a Goulet branded B nib in and keep in it.

I have used it on both Rhodia and Tomoe River. I like it better on TR. And it does seem to "turn"

to a shade that is more brown than green. Although it seems to go down more green. Especially on

the bright white Rhodia I have. Some of the writing samples I have go back to December when I first received it.

I'll get some scans done shortly.

Edit: Add scans

fpn_1515893731__img016.jpg

The Kipling poems- If and Gethsemane were written the same day and I believe with the same pen. Not 100%

what that was though. The Platinum or Pelikan. The upper was today with the Konrad.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Wow... first of all thanks for your thorough review! ... looking at Runnin_Ute's and your writing samples this brown is a border crosser ink, brown, black, grey, very interesting for me. I prefer complex and undecided hues... it reminds me of Sailor Do-You.

Sailor Do-you for me is usually quite a dark brown, and this has more shading, but of course that will depend on your paper and the wetness of your pen.. At night under the LED lights (those swirly things), it appears more murky green than brown. On Tomoe River I'm finding quite a bit of sheen. Not sure I noticed that before. Under natural light my written reviews appear more brown. It's definitely an unusual/unique ink, and I don't want that to sound like a negative.

I doesn't sound negative to me quite the contrary. Do-You is indeed a special brownish-grey. Murky green?! Sounds good, I'll make some light experiments. And you are completely right Do-You doesn't show this sort of broad and nice shading. I like Confederation Brown.

Here is another one, this is with a Parker 45 medium or wider nib on Tomoe River. The top quote by Albert Einstein is

Lamy Petrol for comparison.

fpn_1516330340__gratitude_quote_thomas_s

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain