• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan2016

• Charles Skinner

• A Smug Dill

• RockingLR

wow you were not kidding about the sheen of this ink. I think I might prefer the Fire and Ice just because the sheen stands out. This makes me think of J. Herbin EOC without the sparkle and a shade or so lighter.

wow you were not kidding about the sheen of this ink. I think I might prefer the Fire and Ice just because the sheen stands out. This makes me think of J. Herbin EOC without the sparkle and a shade or so lighter.

You're really, really on the right train of thought. Hold the two side by side and EoC is a tad greener but the sheen and overall feel are very similar. I love it for that reason.

This stuff out-sheens fire and ice.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You're really, really on the right train of thought. Hold the two side by side and EoC is a tad greener but the sheen and overall feel are very similar. I love it for that reason.

This stuff out-sheens fire and ice.

Very true. I love using my EOC due it being my first sheening ink and how it sheens from my pilot metro to my vintage pens. But I may have to consider this as a replacement if the sparkle of EOC gets old.

:) I like the sparkle.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 6 months later...

I wish I knew what you folks are talking about! I see no sheen ---- whatever that is?------ or sparkles! ---- My bottle of Sailor Yama Dori is just a dull shade of blue-grey ink. I will not buy a second bottle! What am I missing? C. S.

I wish I knew what you folks are talking about! I see no sheen ---- whatever that is?------ or sparkles! ---- My bottle of Sailor Yama Dori is just a dull shade of blue-grey ink. I will not buy a second bottle! What am I missing? C. S.

Could be because of several things: Pen is too dry, paper it too absorbent, ink is faulty ... Sailor Yama Dori is supposed to be a nice dark turquoise-y blue, isn' t it?

J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor has the sparkles, not Yama Dori...

In the right upper corner of the sample are lines drawn on absorbent paper, here you can see thet there is no sheen.

To get sheen you need a non-absorbent paper like Tomoe River and a pen which uses a lot of ink.

You can see the effect of the quantity of ink very clear in the swaps, 1 swap almost no sheen, 3 swaps loads of sheen.

The paper has a big influence on color and sheen, in the reviews of namrehsnoom you can see the difference in color on difference kinds of paper.

Charles, the easiest way to have an idea about what sheen really is is to look at the rim of your bottle of Yama-dori.

Edited by Lgsoltek

• 5 months later...

At first, I could not understand why so many of you are great fans of Yama Dori ink. Well, the more I use it, the more I am learning to like it! Recently I have started filling a complete page in my journal before changing inks. After the ink drys completely, I am very pleased with the ink. I certainly will buy another bottle if available when I use all of this bottle. BUT I still do not see anything that you folks call sheen. I may have an eye problem! Or some of you may be living in a "parallel universe!"

Be for real, and "write on."

C. Skinner

Great to hear!

The quest for sheen :-)

Maybe this can help, take a very non-absorbent paper (so if you would put a drop of water on it, the water stays on the paper, and doesn´t get soaked in right away).

On this paper you put a drop of the ink, and just give it a little smear so that the ink is really dense on the paper.

Let it dry.

Take the paper out in the sun and look over the ink in different angles until you see that it "catches" the sun.

Voila, sheen....

I don´t think it i your eyes.... ;-)

Can you see the rainbow colors on water when there is oily stuff on it? This is kind of the same effect.

I am not saying i'd never use it, but it is probably too flashy for most of the writing i'd do & too expensive. But you really must use good paper. If you were writing on the sort of copier c**p like they have at my work you would never know anything about sheen.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not saying i'd never use it, but it is probably too flashy for most of the writing i'd do & too expensive.

¥1,000 (add 8% domestic consumption tax in Japan) – about US$10 – for 50ml wasn't exactly expensive; ¥1,000 (+tax) for 20ml is a different matter.

But you really must use good paper. If you were writing on the sort of copier c**p like they have at my work you would never know anything about sheen.

Only if you want sheen from your handwriting on photocopied (or laser-printed) work documents, and then presumably only for personal satisfaction and/or enjoyment, as opposed to wanting your boss to notice and show appreciation. I have from time to time enjoyed marking up draft documents (because final versions are usually stored and distributed electronically anyway) using a $1,000 pen and 'expensive' inks as a personal idiosyncrasy, but then the nuance would be for my benefit only. I also have a stash of 'expensive' paper (by which I don't mean Tomoe River, since I don't have a high regard for it, but just 120gm coated papers from regular stationers), bought at my personal expense, on which to print my desk copies of stuff to which I would refer from time to time.

Showing sheen, shading, or any other attribute of the use of fountain pens and inks on somebody else's copy is really not something I'd worry about, but then I don't speak for everyone else, so I sincerely ask: Is that a concern of yours, that you want office documents printed on office-quality paper to allow you to show your handwriting (or 'fountain pen art') flair?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.