What Waterman Pens Do You Own?

RMN

18 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, other than it says "Ideal" on the nib and finial, no clue.  But that is certainly a pretty pen.  What's the nib width on it?  And how does it write?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I am no expert on the nuances, but it looks much like a "Lady Patricia" I bought for my wife at Harrods in Knightsbridge.  Very pretty indeed.  

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inkyways

• txomsy

• GlenV

• Left FPN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I'm pretty sure now it is indeed a Lady Agathe in Blue/Topaz. Mine didn't include the matching carrier, which until today I didn't know about anyway.

At 117 mm capped it's the smallest pen I own. It must be intended to be carried in a purse, seeing it has no clip.

I can't say yet how it writes. It arrived while I was away on a family Thanksgiving visit, and I only got my hands on it this evening. Before I ink it I'll want to rinse the nib (medium, by the way) and the feed. But I can say that it is as pretty as I hoped.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started my vintage pen addiction about a month ago after about a year playing with flex modding FPR's, Jinhao's, Majphns, etc...._(a few $100 on modern flex pens, and tools to mod the nibs/feeds/pens etc), and just blew my xmas bonus on vintage pens.  After creating real wet noodles (2.5/3mm)with some drastic mods I wondered what vintage flex everyone is so excited about was really about.  So I've been acquiring, doing minor restoration, and playing around with vintage pens from the 20's 30's 40's-today (Kingswood, Mabie-Todd, Wahl, Sheaffer, etc and a ton of Japanese vintage pens).

As for Waterman pens...

I am working on restoring a 55 Waterman....but will end up having to take it to my local repair shop for a lever tune-up and tp add a clip.  It doesn't appear to be black, but more of a reddish-brown...not red by any stretch.  Is this just age discoloration or color fading? I bought a separate body, but it is black and doesn't match at all.   I really don't mind dropping another $100 on this pen to bring it back to it's original glory.  The nib is magnificent, tons of tipping, no cracks or stress lines.....smooth as silk and has good flex to it.

I have a Waterman 100-year frankenpen with an #8 Emblem Flex nib and a very pretty modern crafted body. For $55, I'm still super glad I picked it up.

In addition, I have a French-made "Paris" Waterman (unsure of age) that has a touch of flex.

And what I assume is a "cheapie" pen from the '60s or 70's that sold for $5.95 at the time.  I do have the original case and the paperwork that came with it.  XXF and just a bit of flex.  It's just a neat thing to have.

And last up, and not in my hands yet, a Waterman W3.  Unsure about it other than it's British made and in good condition.

Waterman 55.jpg

Waterman's 100 year (not original).jpg

Waterman Paris.jpg

Vintage Waterman's Pen Fine Flex c_e 595 Original Case Papers eBay.htm VINTAGE, WATERMANS W3, LEVER-FILLER, GREEN, SEMI-FLEX, 14CT W3 NIB, 1946 ENGLAND eBay.htm

That is a really nice collection. My most sincere congratulations.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 1 month later...

New member as of today.  I have only two Waterman pens.  #1 is from 1998 and it is 1 of 1000, celebrating the 100th anniversary of Michelin's Bibendum, 1898-1998, and #2 is a chrome Harley-Davidson powered by Waterman, that my son gave me many years ago.

Welcome, and enjoy them- They are neat little pieces of art that should keep you happy for a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just received this Watermans...no idea on the model (even after looking at Peyton Street Pens helpful links!).. This one has no sac so I'll have to order one as I only have size 15 and I think 16 will be better??

16884055728638368343063287875318.jpg

That is a gorgeous one. Reminds me of the W5, though I wouldn't venture to affirm it. I hope you enjoy and like it anyway.

Very nice collection and this thread has gone very high up.

My waterman collection has grown a bit bigger and I need to do a new photo set.😀

• 4 weeks later...

My first fountain pen was a Waterman in a marbled red from the 90's that "changed my life" I guess. I still have that pen, and over the years I have picked up a few more. I have come to realize that Waterman's continue to be some of the best writing and most comfortable pens for me, and I find that they have a style I continue to enjoy:

• 90's era plated marble red, slim pen that I don't have a name for, medium
  • Phileas, medium
  • Exception Slim in Blue, stub
  • Exception Slim Deluxe (L'Essence Du Bleu) model with a Broad nib
  • 3 or so Allure's that I was really impressed with

I'm tempted to pick up some more, but I find that the one's I have are so "perfect" that I don't really feel the need to get more. I do think I should get a Carene and mabye a black Exception at some point, though, and probably a few more Allures. 

• 4 weeks later...

My son has recently treated me to a Hemisphere, very nice!

I've bought a few pens from Alnwick Auctions in Northumberland, UK.  Their next auction is on 29 August and lists approximately 40 fountain pens, including a couple of Waterman Ideals, which look very tempting.

https://www.alnwickauctions.co.uk/catalogue/6E9A09E831C11F1838B92B18BD00D460/AF7B69E3E0A2956433E03B8098283F12/auction-of-gold-silver-diamonds-antiques-sampson-mordan/?categoryFilter=%2CWRIT&currentPageNo=1

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

I frequently used Lamy and Parker pens until I received my very first Waterman pen a few days back. It's a Carene Deluxe GT model with a silver cap and medium nib.

I am so pleased with it! It has a hard start in the morning but once the ink (Waterman Serenity Blue) flows, it's just lovely. The Carene is very easily the prettiest pen in my very modest collection.

A year ago I picked up a used Phileas for a good price and was very impressed with the nib. Then got the Waterman bug and bought a blue and silver Carene, such a lovely pen and a great writer. I keep mine inked with Pilot blue and it's a wonderful writer.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I'm writing today with a blue lacquer L'Etalon with an EF nib. I have several of these. They write extremely well, but with heavy use, they tend to develop cracks in the part of the feed within the section, as well as loose end pieces and tops/clips. My very first L'Etalon was my favorite--its EF nib wrote with a slightly wider cross stoke than the down stroke--but the nib was bent when the pen slid across a desk. I had it straightened but it was never the same. I still like the look and the writing quality of these pens, but wish they had been sturdier.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 months later...

I got two two Waterman's and they need restoring the filling system. They are 52  safety pens Ideals and have lot of work in replacing the Piston filling with Cork Screws. I'll post some pictures soon when they are  Done . 

On 7/3/2023 at 1:33 PM, cat74 said:

Just received this Watermans...no idea on the model (even after looking at Peyton Street Pens helpful links!).. This one has no sac so I'll have to order one as I only have size 15 and I think 16 will be better??

16884055728638368343063287875318.jpg

I picked up a similar looking one a while back (it's missing the lever and lever box) and is a different color, and mine has the cap band) but the shape of the pen and the style of the barrel and cap material make me think that whatever yours is, mine is likely the same model).  

Tried to clean up the nib a little bit just now, and it says "WATERMAN'S" (in an arc) just below the slit, and then below that it says: "IDEAL" and then at the bottom it says "14-K" (can't tell if there's a country of manufacture listed below that).

That one I thought about trying to get repaired at OPS over the weekend but there were pens I decided were "higher priority" ones.  But the Waterman isn't going anywhere, so I'm in no hurry....

Oh, shoot -- just remembered I wanted to see if I could get a better converter for a Waterman flighter :headsmack:(again, no idea of the model).  The current converter is a brown plastic "slide" style one which doesn't work well and doesn't have an ink window, and is so small I can't imagine it getting much of a fill anyway....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

At the recent Dallas Pen Show, I found a Waterman's 58 in remarkable condition, except for some barrel discoloration. It has a magnificent fine flex nib, which the seller, who is a talented calligrapher, demonstrated to me. I have never sought after 58s, but this pen felt so comfortable in my hand and had such a smooth, responsive nib, that I couldn't resist.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.