• Houston

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever I find in my second home 😬

My dad's MB 149!

Not a charm unfortunately.

I have to push much more than my normal writing pressure to see anything.

Just compared side by side with my 146 and an Aurora (steel nib).

Advice?

Or I will redirect myself to the proper section.

post-110876-0-14037600-1546191036_thumb.jpg

fpn_1536050725__040918.jpg

That's a really good looking pen!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Whatever I find in my second home

My dad's MB 149!

Not a charm unfortunately.

I have to push much more than my normal writing pressure to see anything.

Just compared side by side with my 146 and an Aurora (steel nib).

Advice?

Or I will redirect myself to the proper section.

fpn_1546343283__img_4764.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Changed a couple inks today - my Cross Bailey got changed out because Noodler's Concord Bream was HORRIBLY badly behaved on all the paper I tried it on, and my LAMY I just ran out of the previous ink (Robert Oster Clearwater Rain) and wanted a change.

Hence my lineup right now is:

post-146340-0-70127800-1546797847_thumb.jpg

That's my entire collection...not much but they make me SO darn happy (and seem to make me write more!). Now I have to get to work on Important Things but wanted to pop in and report on the current lineup.

-Taylor

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

I haven't inked or used my Lamy Safari fountain pen for several months now, because to my best recollection the Lamy EF nib failed to produce a line even as narrow as F nibs on my (cheap or 'premium') Japanese pens. I'm therefore pleasantly surprised to see how finely it wrote after I filled it with Diamine Graphite last night.

fpn_1546829263__delike_wooden_barrel_pen

fpn_1546832039__delike_acrylic_barrel_pe

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

This is a bit of fun for a $7 pen (that buyers in the US might be able to source it for US$4 delivered), but not something I want to use for 'everyday' writing:

fpn_1547010999__jinhao_x450_frankenpen_w

I am curious, however, as to whether a Namiki Falcon with a 'soft' EF nib could be used to produce comparable output; my Namiki Falcon with F nib certainly cannot.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

This was delivered earlier today:

fpn_1547277558__penbbs_308_glass_blue_de

Not my favourite writing experience or instrument, but not so bad that I want to put it away forever either. The pen itself seems quite well constructed, and even comes fitted with a tiny O-ring internally, as if it is expected that some users would want to use it as an eye-dropper.

• 2 weeks later...

That's commitment to me:

fpn_1548150980__aurora_88_sigaro_blue_wr

So much to catch up on. Lovely work people :) .

Prepping for a commission. Sending over "blacks" to a client for approval.
This Noodlers free pen is fabulous for sketching. Holds a ton of ANY ink, never fussy, and flexes with the best of them . . . fine lines too.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_noodlers_free_pen.jpeg

This just arrived today.

fpn_1548235730__leonardo_momento_zero_ha

This just arrived today.fpn_1548235730__leonardo_momento_zero_ha

The Leonardo Momento Zero acrylic must be my next pen. I prefer broader nibs, usually italics. I may try their fine nib. The EF may be too adventurous.

The Leonardo Momento Zero acrylic must be my next pen. I prefer broader nibs, usually italics. I may try their fine nib. The EF may be too adventurous.

I have two F's. Finest nib I've ever wielded, bar none. Very personal, of course. No guarantees.

A Smug Dill: Leonardos are quite wet pens. I notice you're using Iroshizuku, which is a good-flowing ink. Since line width matters a lot to you, would it be useful to try Sailor Kiwaguro...? That ink reduces the line width of any pen I've ever put it in, usually by 30% to 50%, but it doesn't feel dry at all.

I have two F's. Finest nib I've ever wielded, bar none. Very personal, of course.

I trust that, by 'finest', you meant of the best quality and not the narrowest width? :)

I notice you're using Iroshizuku, which is a good-flowing ink. Since line width matters a lot to you, would it be useful to try Sailor Kiwaguro...?

It crossed my mind, but it's no secret that I compulsively try to match pens to ink by colour (or by name), I don't think I want to put black in the Hawaii. Right now I've changed the ink to Pilot Iroshizuku kon-peki, and the line widths are much the same as before, of course; but the colour matches better, and I'm just going to use the pen to write primarily with the nib upside-down. Wouldn't that just make a bystander aghast thinking I don't know the first thing about how to use a fountain pen, haha? There are already so many of my pens that I prefer to use primarily nib-upside-down, it's not funny (but kinda is); that said, a nib that writes smoothly enough both ways, but yield significantly different line widths (or qualities) in different physical orientation, count as versatility to me.

Edit: Ah, that's better! That's what I call Extra Fine.

fpn_1548290419__leonardo_momento_zero_ha

If I had to try a Sailor (formerly marketed as Nano) pigment ink in the Hawaii, it'll be seiboku, but that doesn't have the same reputation as kiwaguro for being an effective slimming tea for nibs.

The Leonardo Momento Zero acrylic must be my next pen.

I like the look of the Hawaii resin/acrylic very much indeed (and I love the sight and sound of the sea), and usually my fiancée have extremely similar tastes, but somehow she tells me she's not crazy about it. I guess Hawaii won't be our honeymoon destination! (Not kidding. We talked about it before, last time we were planning overseas holidays, before going to New Zealand.) I was looking at the other Leonardo acrylics – this time with particular interest in the Furore pen model – and she prefers the Blue Emerald (which is very nice, swirly green shallow Pacific waters kinda way), but I prefer the Sun Yellow that again she isn't so taken with.

Now that I've handled the Momento Zero, though, I find that it's a large enough pen for my hand where the (full-sized, not slim) Sailor Professional Gear and Pilot Custom Heritage 91 fall short, so perhaps I prefer the MZ over the Furore after all, and we can settle on the Blue Positano next... if I can live with the way its EF nib is, given I have no intention at this point to learn to grind nibs to new specifications myself.

In any case, it'll have to wait, as I just ordered the Delta Seawood in natural iroko, and I'll see if its Fusion EF nib satisfies better.

Edited by A Smug Dill