What Pen Are You Waiting For In The Mail 2018

RMN

Well, I did it!!

Finally purchased the long awaited Lamy 2000 Medium that I tried a friends of over a year ago and loved.

Congratulations! I got my first L2K for Christmas as well. Amazing pen!

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sub_bluesy

• truthpil

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• inkstainedruth

lol its quite cheap on taobao!

L2K was my first fountain pen. In fact, I liked it so much I bought another one, just as a spare.

Edited by Says

lol its quite cheap on taobao!

L2K was my first fountain pen. In fact, I liked it so much I bought another one, just as a spare.

I know! It's like half price compared to other countries. I may have to buy another while I'm still living in China. My first is a BB so my second will have to be EF or F.

I didn't quite enjoy the EF and went for an F instead..but that was many years ago and it was my first try at FPs... I think you should try both before deciding..

or get both! lol it should be easy to offload the one you don't like haha..

Thank you very much.

The Lamy 2000-M is kind of like my Holy Grail right now (I'm on the modest side of things, if I can even say that purchasing a $150+ pen as such).

I'll admit I have this feeling of not looking for more pens.

I felt that way about paper when I found Nanami Seven Seas Notebooks, and that's stuck.

I felt that way about ink when I found Sailor Kiwa-Guro and that's sticking. I do also now use Souboku as a compliment, and I do have other inks in case these don't flow well in a pen, but that hasn't and probably won't be a problem. I have gone the way of stockpiling Kiwa-guro, having ordered a bottle shortly after beginning a new one. I love Kiwa-Guro because it works on any paper.

And as with Nanami and Kiwa-Guro I actually feel that way now having already tried a friend's Lamy 2k-M (Love it), and having the Ranga's I love , and a great Pilot Custom 74-M that just arrived perfect OOTB with a gloriously smooth nib that writes flawlessly and especially so for when i need a finer nib.

I'll admit I may try a PenBBS when they come out with a medium nib, but I like my Ranga-Medium_Jowo's much more than any PenBBS I've tried (309 and 308). And I'll admit when the time comes I may get an Aurora 88/Optima, but that's not for a long time nor is it really something I find myself striving for.

I know what I want, found what I need, and I'm good.

Congratulations! That is a wonderful place to be and I hope you stay there. :D :thumbup:

Congratulations! That is a wonderful place to be and I hope you stay there. :D :thumbup:

It's like an essential threshold of satisfaction. A reaching of a point where, I'm good, especially if on a desert island, which I was shooting for when I started.

But I'd be naive to think it was so absolute or concrete. But that's just the way that emotion feels: So definitive and matter of fact.

But I can't be neglectful to the fountain pen world now can I?

That would be irresponsible of me to not explore possibilities on the side, especially affordable quality pens PenBBS may be conjuring up, and other possibilities that may sidle into ideas it would be remiss of me to stifle :thumbup: .

I can never not use a fountain pen again, and I can't be a relic and "not with times". I dare not fall behind into "vintage" :closedeyes: ". That does not appeal to me.

Thank you very much.

The Lamy 2000-M is kind of like my Holy Grail right now (I'm on the modest side of things, if I can even say that purchasing a $150+ pen as such).

I'll admit I have this feeling of not looking for more pens.

I felt that way about paper when I found Nanami Seven Seas Notebooks, and that's stuck.

I felt that way about ink when I found Sailor Kiwa-Guro and that's sticking. I do also now use Souboku as a compliment, and I do have other inks in case these don't flow well in a pen, but that hasn't and probably won't be a problem. I have gone the way of stockpiling Kiwa-guro, having ordered a bottle shortly after beginning a new one. I love Kiwa-Guro because it works on any paper.

And as with Nanami and Kiwa-Guro I actually feel that way now having already tried a friend's Lamy 2k-M (Love it), and having the Ranga's I love , and a great Pilot Custom 74-M that just arrived perfect OOTB with a gloriously smooth nib that writes flawlessly and especially so for when i need a finer nib.

I'll admit I may try a PenBBS when they come out with a medium nib, but I like my Ranga-Medium_Jowo's much more than any PenBBS I've tried (309 and 308). And I'll admit when the time comes I may get an Aurora 88/Optima, but that's not for a long time nor is it really something I find myself striving for.

You will be super lucky if you can stay that way...somehow I find myself swinging back and forth between vintage pens and japanese pens... Hope to settle on something I want to stay put with... My wallet feels the same way too

I just received my Parker Urban (F) and Nemosine Singularity 0(F) pens. Both write absolutely great OOB.

I'm awaiting my Pilot Metropolitan and Lamy Safari. Both are showing enroute. I should have them by my birthday on 12/31/18.

Yes, I'm a n00b! :)

I wanted at least a smattering of pens to get a sense of the manufacture, packaging, and production options. Pilot murasaki-shikibu in the Nemosine is a dream ink for me, while the Quink Black in the Parker gives me a pen I can "respect". If the next two please me as much as the first two, I will consider myself quite the lucky penman, indeed.

Has anyone, by chance, seen where my handwriting went? (Last time I saw it, it was runnin' down the hallway, just screamin'! :)

Writing Is FUN!

Writing is FUN!

Bud Fields

Follow My Writing Adventures!

finally pulled the trigger on a 1911 realo in maroon - F nib.

also a stargazer in pearl white since i heard it was discontinued

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I just received my Parker Urban (F) and Nemosine Singularity 0(F) pens. Both write absolutely great OOB.

I'm awaiting my Pilot Metropolitan and Lamy Safari. Both are showing enroute. I should have them by my birthday on 12/31/18.

I wanted at least a smattering of pens to get a sense of the manufacture, packaging, and production options. Pilot murasaki-shikibu in the Nemosine is a dream ink for me, while the Quink Black in the Parker gives me a pen I can "respect". If the next two please me as much as the first two, I will consider myself quite the lucky penman, indeed.

Has anyone, by chance, seen where my handwriting went? (Last time I saw it, it was runnin' down the hallway, just screamin'! :)

Writing Is FUN!

You chose some great pens to start out with, a good wide sampling of different types of writing experiences. Enjoy!

Writing Is FUN!

Great choices! And don't worry about your handwriting! As soon as that sees your nice pens and inks, it will come back ;-)

You will be super lucky if you can stay that way...somehow I find myself swinging back and forth between vintage pens and japanese pens... Hope to settle on something I want to stay put with... My wallet feels the same way too

I myself have basically become a convert to Japanese inks (Pilot and Sailor). I'm so impressed with their quality and feel. I can't find a better EDC ink than Kiwa-Guro and Iroshizuku Inks are probably my favorite especially with this Pilot C74 I have.

I feel like the Pilot C74 is a "staying pen" for me. A "lifer" pen is what went through my mind and that was a first time I've ever genuinely felt that sentiment and had that thought. I did try it with Kiwa-guro and it worked well creating an option of a great EDC, but I went back to using the C74 with Yama-Guri because that combination looks and feels so beautiful.

This Pilot Custom 74 Medium has blown my mind giving me the writing experience I've been searching for and it basically lets me write naturally instead of having me accommadate to the nib. This nib keeps it "two-sided" and dances perfectly with me leading the nib as it leads me.

It's fairly similar to my experience with my friends Lamy 2000-Medium I tried a while back, though I love how the Custom 74 accomplishes this with a Finer nib. I tried the L2K-F and disliked it (increased unpleasant feedback and narrow sweet spot).

It did kill my wallet trying to find this experience the C74 provides and finally get the Lamy 2K-Medium (ordered yesterday) and inks that would work to tame the line width.

I had tried a Pilot CH92-B a while back, got a terrible nib OOTB and couldn't get it fixed right despite Pilot customer service and nibmeisters, but despite that bad experience I decided to take another chance and try the C74, got a medium nib, and it paid off.

Pilot's 14k Medium hits a sweet spot for me.

The Nemosine Singularity I received on Christmas Eve, which I got around to testing last night, completely changed my view/preconceptions about Nemosine as a brand.

Now I'm waiting for:

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Just arrived in the mail today...

Sailor 72, F nib. Guy who sold me claims it should be late 70s... Can't find any identifying marks for dates..

On the Nib its just 21K and says "Sailor" at the side.

Its uninked in original packaging, no papers though... Looks really lovely, not sure I want to ink it yet.

Anyway still trying out other pens.. I will decide whether to ink this baby later... arrrgh.... to ink or not to ink.

post-146548-0-17674400-1546083506_thumb.jpg

post-146548-0-66159500-1546083515_thumb.jpg

post-146548-0-81478900-1546083531.jpg

Just arrived in the mail today...

Sailor 72, F nib. Guy who sold me claims it should be late 70s... Can't find any identifying marks for dates..

On the Nib its just 21K and says "Sailor" at the side.

Its uninked in original packaging, no papers though... Looks really lovely, not sure I want to ink it yet.

Anyway still trying out other pens.. I will decide whether to ink this baby later... arrrgh.... to ink or not to ink.

Looks great! Someday I need to grab one of these or the Pilot of Platinum equivalents from the 60/70s. They seem like perfect pocket EDC pens.

Its pretty affordable btw... Quite a lot available for a steal in Tao Bao..

right now, 70s Pilot Fine 18Kt gold nib is one of my favourite writers.

The Grandee I posted was so good, I bought a cheaper matt black version. Using that as a everyday writer at the moment.

Its smooth, never skips, just the right amount of feedback that makes you want to keep writing...

I realize that Good Italian nibs I tried, like the HS Dreamtouch nib we argue about, try to minimize feedback, and gives you a sensation of "floating" across the page

Japanese nibs tend to have this sublime feedback that I wouldn't describe as "scratchy", but gives you a satisfaction of knowing that you are writing..

Two different styles I would say, and depends on my mood, and what I am writing, my preference tend to differ.

For writing chinese, Japanese Nibs wins hands down.

I think Italians have a slight edge for cursive or other more flourish writing styles.

Next I need to understand more on Germans nibs lol

right now, 70s Pilot Fine 18Kt gold nib is one of my favourite writers.

The Grandee I posted was so good, I bought a cheaper matt black version. Using that as a everyday writer at the moment.

Its smooth, never skips, just the right amount of feedback that makes you want to keep writing...

Totally agree on sublime feedback :wub: How do you feel about the 18kt nib, vs 14kt though? 14kt seems springy rather than the mushy feel of higher karatage. I don't know if I could stomach nibs from the big 3 arms race days when they were fighting to get as close to 100% gold as they could :lol: