What Pen Are You Waiting For In The Mail 2018

RMN

Ha! I love the posts above. If my partner objects to my fourth pen purchase this year, I will say "it could have been 26" in defence.

On the way a P51 aero - shell, filler and nib only. The nib appears to be italic! I will have to source an appropriate barrel and cap.

Still waiting for a blue aero. It should be here by now....

I have developed a late-blooming P51 addiction.

Yeah, and your partner will probably tell you the same thing my husband tells me: "It isn't a competition!" :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: 51 addiction? Trust me -- there is NO cure.... The only thing that has saved me is that I don't like some of the colors (although I did win the bidding in last year's Triangle Pen Show auction on an English made Navy Gray -- it's an ugly color but I was bidding on the OM or OB nib..).

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sub_bluesy

• truthpil

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• inkstainedruth

Parker 50 "Falcon"

Also, a Fisher Space Pen (clicky cap full size version with Space Shuttle on it). Because whatever!

Hooded nibs are the best

Ha! I love the posts above. If my partner objects to my fourth pen purchase this year, I will say "it could have been 26" in defence.

On the way a P51 aero - shell, filler and nib only. The nib appears to be italic! I will have to source an appropriate barrel and cap.

Still waiting for a blue aero. It should be here by now....

I have developed a late-blooming P51 addiction.

Ooh that's a fun addiction to have. Since there are so many P51s out there, it consumes tons of time to hunt down what you want... What an adventure! My problem is that I could never find the color I wanted with the nib I wanted.

You are in for a treat with that italic nib. I've got an oblique italic aero that is one of my grail pens, just amazing to write with.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

LAMY Al-Star, Fine, in Graphite. Also a pile of ink samples.

My previous Al-Star was a gift from a very dear friend, my childhood/lifelong best guy-friend, a fellow writer who gifted me an Al-Star gift set (Royal Blue pen body) for my birthday last June. A mishap combined with my own ignorance resulted in literal decapitation of that pen, the feed being snapped in half, and so I had to replace it.

I'm quite sad to have to buy a new one, but his real gift was not so much the physical pen but that he started me off on my fountain pen journey, so it'll be okay. LAMY Al-Star #2 will carry on #1's legacy with courage and integrity and also an intact feed... :lol:

I know it's a "kid pen" to some people, but I'm still at a place in my hobby journey (and also a financial place) that this is more appropriate than, say, a Homo Sapiens. ;) In a way, I think it would be a bit foolhardy of me to buy something super expensive right now, because I truly don't know what I'm doing yet (see Exhibit A, my decapitated Al-Star!), and because I wouldn't be able to truly appreciate a good pen yet. So I'm trying to buy things that are appropriate to my level. Hence, my LAMY Al-Star on the way. :)

-Taylor

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

I had a feeling when I signed up here recently that I'd be posting something in this thread soon; the pull of the pen habit is a strong one!

So, I've ordered a Pilot Custom 823 in Amber with a F nib. I've been in love with my Custom 74 for a while (aside from the converter), so based on many things I've read here and elsewhere, I thought it would be a good step up. I'd been lusting after the 823 for a while, so now I've finally pulled the plug!

I usually like matching up ink to pen colors, so I added some Pilot Iroshizuku Tsukushi (horsetail plant) ink as well.

Now I feel like a little kid waiting for Santa Claus! :D (I've been good, I promise! Well, mostly...)

P.S.: Thanks to all the folks here who offer so many excellent reviews of pens and inks; these reviews really make it easier to decide on whether or not to buy something. There are no local pen stores around here (at least not anymore), so I can't go in and try a bunch of stuff out.

Edited by ElinMS

For a long while, I've had a hole in my collection--not a single LAMY. Then while hunting down some Deep Dark inks at Cult Pens, I noticed that they had a very attractive price on a 2000 with an OM nib--so it's on its way.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

For a long while, I've had a hole in my collection--not a single LAMY. Then while hunting down some Deep Dark inks at Cult Pens, I noticed that they had a very attractive price on a 2000 with an OM nib--so it's on its way.

Excellent choice. My first Lamy 2000 arrived last week and I was just amazed at the quality and feel in the hand. It's a masterpiece of design!

I know what you mean about holes in the collection. I still don't have a single Italian or British pen (except for one Parson's Essential which is all parts from Asia anyway).

Damn. My order of a Platinum #3776 Century in tortoise celluloid got cancelled.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Yeah, and your partner will probably tell you the same thing my husband tells me: "It isn't a competition!" :lol:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: 51 addiction? Trust me -- there is NO cure.... The only thing that has saved me is that I don't like some of the colors (although I did win the bidding in last year's Triangle Pen Show auction on an English made Navy Gray -- it's an ugly color but I was bidding on the OM or OB nib..).

OM or OB? - yum! Navy Gray isn't my favourite also, but if the nib is amazing, I would jump at it. Maybe to put the nib in a different pen; I haven't changed a P51 nib yet, but my time will come.

I am becoming obsessed with the idea of interesting nibs in P51s. I hope my newest purchase is italic, but it was really hard to see in the picture...

Ooh that's a fun addiction to have. Since there are so many P51s out there, it consumes tons of time to hunt down what you want... What an adventure! My problem is that I could never find the color I wanted with the nib I wanted.

You are in for a treat with that italic nib. I've got an oblique italic aero that is one of my grail pens, just amazing to write with.

I do hope this P51 is the italic of my dreams. If not, I will either continue the quest or ask Greg Minuskin to make me one exactly to my preference. Now, what would be my dream colour and cap? hmmmmmmm...

I do hope this P51 is the italic of my dreams. If not, I will either continue the quest or ask Greg Minuskin to make me one exactly to my preference. Now, what would be my dream colour and cap? hmmmmmmm...

Italic nibs for these seem to be easier to find in the UK than elsewhere. Both of my italic P51s are made in England and purchased from eBay sellers there. UK nibs are also more likely to be soft or semi-flex.

As for colors, the choices are endless if you shop around for Ariel Kullock custom sections and barrels.

These pens are so addictive. I don't even like hooded nibs and already have five P51s and hoping to find one more with a wet broad nib.

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Swirl Demonstrator

TWSBI Clear Eco T

I have not failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work.

Thomas A. Edison

Parker 50 "Falcon"

Also, a Fisher Space Pen (clicky cap full size version with Space Shuttle on it). Because whatever!

Still waiting :(

Hooded nibs are the best

TWSBI Eco, Translucent Blue special edition. M nib.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

Pilot Explorer's (x2) arriving tomorrow! :D Love Pilot Pens. Been waiting for an inexpensive model that didn't look like a toy and didn't have that awful shelf the Metro has (my hands are too large for that shelf).

Ranga Davenport (Love Ebonite and Ranga Pens!) The one I already have is one of the best pens I've ever purchased and a solid performer for an amazing price: Easily the best pen under $100 I've ever used and a top pen under $200 because of the comfort of Ebonite and the effectiveness of the Jowo nibs... And you can customize them for the same price to fit a Bock!--- Put a Titanium nib on them!!. And Teri at Peyton Street Pens is fabulous.

I think I've found my go to pens :wub: .

Put in for a Conklin Duragraph turquoise from Goulet with an onmiflex nib. Im thinking about a Conklin all American brownstone also in a ruthenium trim omniflex. That pen really interests me for some reason. I dont really have any brown pens at all but I like that one. Weird!

post-138856-0-91370400-1542270848_thumb.jpeg

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........