• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sub_bluesy

• truthpil

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• inkstainedruth

The ¥1,200-off (for minimum total order value of ¥12,000 from a single seller, including tax but excluding shipping charges) and ¥2,500-off (minimum order value: ¥20,000) coupons on Rakuten Global Market just dropped an hour or so ago, so I placed a ¥20,000 (exactly, before discounts) order for:

• two custom-engraved Pilot Cocoon (i.e. Pilot MR with a plain band, like those in the Metropolitan collection but in less boring/sombre colours) pens with F nibs,
  • three Pilot Prera pens with F nibs,
  • seven Pilot Penmanship pens with EF nibs (intended to be nib donors for the Cocoon and Prera pens); and
  • one Platinum Preppy 0.2mm pen (intended to be a nib donor for one of my Plaisir pens),
among other things.

Additional, I ordered two cheap Pilot desk pens from a different seller on RGM to use as ink-testing equipment.

Three other Pilot MR pens I ordered on Amazon earlier should arrive later this week, along with a three-pack of Pilot Plumix pens with CM nibs as donors.

The four Fountain Pen Revolution Himalaya pens I ordered on the weekend has just shipped. Each one is shipped with a stub nib, but I've ordered additional flex and EF nibs for each of them. Kevin, who owns FPR, has very graciously thrown in some additional wet ebonite feeds to best suit the flex nibs, because of my inexperience with flex nibs and consequentially my oversight in only ordering extra nibs without matching feeds. (Kevin, thank you so much!)

The Diplomat Aero fountain pen in orange with EF nib I ordered from LCdC at 20% off is on backorder.

Phew, between that and the inks I ordered, I think that's my Christmas shopping done.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Ordered quite a few to try out myself
Baoer 801 Aurora Borealis
Baoer 508 Burgundy Marble (Red)
Hero 3013 White
Wing Sung 9159 Clear

and waiting for Safari Joy from a friend :wub:

Few more:

- Parker 51 Aerometric with a black body, 14k B-nib (fingers crossed) and a nice lustraloy cap (Yay!). Body needs work though, going by the pics it has been posted a lot. Should actually go and pick it up later today.

>>>--- UPDATE ---> The pen is pretty much what the Dr. ordered and can get even nicer than that with a bit of work. Happy about the cap, some fine hairlines but that is to be expected with these. Oh the nib? Nice smooth OB with nice (as expected) moderate line variation out of the box. Will give it a once over later today and pack it away. Or leave it in the play pen pen aka. "The Pen Mug" which has my inked but not EDC pens. Have two daily user Aerometrics there already though... oh well. :D

- Pelikan (or hopefully a Pelican) 400 Tortoise, M-nib... that one looked more than a bit dirty but should clean up nicely. Trims seemed clean & intact (once again, going by the photos). This one should arrive next week...

Edited by mana

Nice smooth OB with nice (as expected) moderate line variation out of the box.

Once cleaned properly, do you expect the ink flow and proper feed to impact the line variation?

Edited by MBDostoevsky

Hi! Seems that it was stored cleaned & empty so no issues with the feed or flow impacting line variation (they usually do not). After all, line variation with stiff nibs like the ones in 51s is pretty much all about nib geometry.

This one has seen a fair amount of use and is really smooth, kind of a wet writer too with age appropriate/vintage washable blue Parker Quink.

I might touch it up a bit to make the nib more acute. That would increase the ratio of the width of the nib (downstrokes) vs. depth (sidestrokes) and thus lead to more dramatic line variation. Or I might just leave it as it is (A.k.a. "Don't fix it if it ain't broken...") as I already have other 51s that sate my needs on that front (italic BB, stubby B etc.).

If I really want to go to town with oblique nibs I have one loose 30° OBB nib which is a bit of a pain to use (it is cut "kind of sharp" and the angle doesn't help, much prefer 15° or so) but that one provides a whole lot of fun if one is so inclined... would just need to install it into a 51 first. Maybe someday.

Once cleaned properly, do you expect the ink flow and proper feed to impact the line variation?

the new italix chaplain's tankard and the BENU chameleon from massdrop, and two penBBS 456 vac fillers.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Not a pen, but I have a old-style Parker squeeze converter en route to put on the Parker 45 I got at the Ohio Pen Show.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I went a little crazy and ordered three pens on fountain pen day. La Couronne du Comte and Appelboom had crazy good discounts. I am waiting for the following pens:

Caran d'Ache Varius Carbon 3000

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Snakewood

Parker Duofold Big Red CT Centennial

I went a little crazy and ordered three pens on fountain pen day.

Bully for you. I ordered 26 pens in the past 24 hours. Several in the week before Fountain Pen Day. Only five over FP Day weekend itself. :-O

La Couronne du Comte and Appelboom had crazy good discounts.

That still doesn't mean they're the cheapest reliable online sellers accessible to me, though, especially for Japanese brands which I favour. Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Bully for you. I ordered 26 pens in the past 24 hours. Several in the week before Fountain Pen Day. Only five over FP Day weekend itself. :-O

That still doesn't mean they're the cheapest reliable online sellers accessible to me, though, especially for Japanese brands which I favour.

Wow. 26 pens is a lot of pens to order in 24 hours. 26 is the total number of pens I have collected over several years. That includes the three pens from FPD.

No doubt that La Couronne du Comte and Appelboom aren't the best options for Non-European or Non-American brand pens. For Japanese pens, I usually buy on Buyee, J-Subculture, or Zen Market. Earlier this year, I was able to get a good deal on Platinum Izumo from Cult Pens.

For European and American pens, I don't think I have seen bigger discounts than 20%. Cult Pens had really good discounts on Pelikan pens this year but that's about it.

Wow. 26 pens is a lot of pens to order in 24 hours.

Many of those 26 are cheap Chinese pens, though. Half a dozen Jinhao X450 pens at $4 each (after discounts), one similarly cheap Wing sung of unclear model number:

Eternal-life-High-Quality-0-38-mm-Founta

and two even cheaper Jinhao 699 and 911, … then a bunch of Delike pens with different wooden barrels at less than $20 each, and keep in mind I'm talking in AUD here, so when you translate it to USD amounts they seem even cheaper. The most 'expensive' (relatively speaking!) ones are two Delike Alpha and two Moonman M100 in different acrylics, all of them around the $32 mark delivered. The total of all of those add up to one Platinum #3776 Century in tortoise celluloid I just ordered.

Took advantage of the Double Eleven shopping day in China and have these pens on the way:

- Penbbs 308 Infinite

- Penbbs 309 Starry Night

- Pilot Custom 74 SM

- Pilot Lucina F (my one yellow pen to rule them all)

- Wancher Zen Sansui M

- Wing Sung 698 with 14k nib

- Kaco Sky F

Was going to grab a Moonman M100 but the distributor sold out of them before Double Eleven sales even began.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Many of those 26 are cheap Chinese pens, though. Half a dozen Jinhao X450 pens at $4 each (after discounts), one similarly cheap Wing sung of unclear model number:

Eternal-life-High-Quality-0-38-mm-Founta

and two even cheaper Jinhao 699 and 911, … then a bunch of Delike pens with different wooden barrels at less than $20 each, and keep in mind I'm talking in AUD here, so when you translate it to USD amounts they seem even cheaper. The most 'expensive' (relatively speaking!) ones are two Delike Alpha and two Moonman M100 in different acrylics, all of them around the $32 mark delivered. The total of all of those add up to one Platinum #3776 Century in tortoise celluloid I just ordered.

That would make sense. Buying that many pens above 50 bucks each would result in a massive total. When it comes to Chinese pens, I really like the Moonman M2. That pen looks really good but I don't have any experience with eye dropper pens.

Edited by mol_lon

Ha! I love the posts above. If my partner objects to my fourth pen purchase this year, I will say "it could have been 26" in defence.

On the way a P51 aero - shell, filler and nib only. The nib appears to be italic! I will have to source an appropriate barrel and cap.

Still waiting for a blue aero. It should be here by now....

I have developed a late-blooming P51 addiction.