Wingsung 601 Vacumatic Filler

Tefolim

I'm considering buying the new 601 (the one with the double o-ring), but for the last few pages I've been reading that there's issues with leaking.

Does the new 601 have any problems (like leaking)?

Thanks, (or) Hope that helped,

Rotring600user

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Tefolim

• Mech-for-i

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

I'm considering buying the new 601 (the one with the double o-ring), but for the last few pages I've been reading that there's issues with leaking.

Does the new 601 have any problems (like leaking)?

I've been carrying mine regularly for a little over a week and have no leaking issues (or other problems for that matter).

The leaking was on early ones (diaphragm) and was reported to be around the hood. One of the several I bought at the end of last year had a potential problem in that the hood was not tightly screwed in place and it could thus leak. Before filling it, I removed the hood, sealed the threads with a little silicone grease, and then replaced it tightly. I used it for several weeks and had no problems. I also tested for leakage several others that came with hoods tightly screwed in place by filling them with water and leaving them standing with the nib pointing downwards for several days. No problems. I cannot see that the O-ring versions would be any more likely to leak - in fact, they should be less so, as a slight air leak in the seal between barrel and vacumatic mechanism could also increase the likelihood on leaking in the hood area. Such an air leak is very unlikely with O-rings, not so unlikely with the diaphragm.

Thanks for the replies. How easy is it to clean this pen? I only own C/C and piston fillers, so I'm new to vacuumatic pens.

Thanks, (or) Hope that helped,

Rotring600user

You should find the O-ring version the easiest to flush. About 4 fast pushes and releases of the mechanism with the nib immersed in clean water will fill it, and it can be done one handed! Then another 4 or 5 pushes over a sink to eject the now inky water. Repeat this with clean water 4 or 5 times, and your pen should be pretty much cleaned out.

About flushing, I've tried the methods read here and in other threads, and I don't know why but they haven't worked for me. 4 times now I've tried flushing my 601 vac and the ink and the water get trapped somewhere and I need to remove the nib and feed and flush the barrel directly.

I've recently disassembled the vac mechanism since I've seen that ink gets trapped around the sac, thanks to videos and pictures of the demonstrator model, and it's true, there was still inky water around the sac when I pulled it out. Which, by the way, was a major pain because the screw you see around the pump button? It's not metal like I assumed from pictures, it's plastic. And it's not sturdy plastic either. It deformed pretty quickly.

All in all, nifty little filling mechanism, but you better dedicate your 601 to one ink forever. Personally I don't think I'm going to re-ink mine soon, I think I've contaminated a bottle because of this pen and I have little love for it now.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Any pen flushed without disassembly will have traces of the old ink left, in the feed if nowhere else. The trick is to dilute what is left so that a new ink will take over without trouble. I forgot to add that I shake the barrel backwards and forwards vigorously when filled with water (careful, this can be messy!) and then shake all I can get out of the nib end when the filler mechanism does not eject any more fluid. I finish by wicking as much as possible of what is left using paper kitchen towel. These procedures help no matter what the filling system, although a C/C filler can ease things by removing the filler and using a rubber bulb to force water through the section/feed/nib assembly. Note that even then, it can be almost impossible to get everything out of the feed - one of the reasons I remove nib and feed wherever possible when repairing a vintage pen.

How to tell in ebay listing between the diaphragm version and the double o-ring version if I plan to buy a non demonstrator 601? And how sure can we be if the image on the listing reflects the reality? Very conflicted about pulling the trigger on this because of this. Or just give up on this and just go with 698. My main goal is to get a extra fine(0.38) nib and I had good luck with a 698.

1) How to tell in ebay listing between the diaphragm version and the double o-ring version if I plan to buy a non demonstrator 601?

2) And how sure can we be if the image on the listing reflects the reality?

1) From what I've gathered, the automatic draw filler ("the double o-ring version") comes only in the transparent and transparent green versions. While the vacumatic system is used for all the solid color versions and for the demonstrators too, but those are easily spotted thanks to the seller's pictures.

2) Is this an honest question? Because we're talking about online shopping here, you need to have faith what what the seller shows, even when they're stock images recycled for the umpteenth time, correspond to an actual object. The point is in finding a seller which lists all 601 colors separatedly through the drop-down window. You choose your favorite and hope that you get the 601 of the color of your choice.

By the way, if you plan to get the automatic draw filler version more power to you. But if you're unsure between the 601 vacumatic and another 698, get another 698. The vacumatic is a pain to flush.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

I received my black and silver 601 a few days ago - it fits so well and performs like a modern version of my 51s - not the same of course :-) - and totally unexpected because I hated my 618 - in fact, I have been asked to get additional 601s to match the inks I use or my 8-year old granddaughter will be cross with me - I have a 698 on order and imagine it will be lovely - but the thing about the 601s is that they are snap on caps that are secure and can be operated one-handed -

Thanks for the detailed answer. I appreciate it.

2) Is this an honest question?

It was an honest question but not in relation to the color, I swear :-) . I know that much can be trusted. Having bought a bunch of ebay items especially fountain pens, I have developed a healthy and appropriate mix of trust and skepticism.

What I was questioning was the mechanism. I did not know that the double O ring came in only demonstrator. My question was if I saw a double o-ring in demonstrator does it mean that the solid color will also be a double o-ring. Knowing that the solid color will not be a double o-ring that question is moot.

1) How to tell in ebay listing between the diaphragm version and the double o-ring version if I plan to buy a non demonstrator 601?

2) And how sure can we be if the image on the listing reflects the reality?

1) From what I've gathered, the automatic draw filler ("the double o-ring version") comes only in the transparent and transparent green versions. While the vacumatic system is used for all the solid color versions and for the demonstrators too, but those are easily spotted thanks to the seller's pictures.

2) Is this an honest question? Because we're talking about online shopping here, you need to have faith what what the seller shows, even when they're stock images recycled for the umpteenth time, correspond to an actual object. The point is in finding a seller which lists all 601 colors separatedly through the drop-down window. You choose your favorite and hope that you get the 601 of the color of your choice.

By the way, if you plan to get the automatic draw filler version more power to you. But if you're unsure between the 601 vacumatic and another 698, get another 698. The vacumatic is a pain to flush.

1. The o-ring version comes in solid colors as well, I received a solid blue one with the o-rings. It's just hard to know for sure from the listings. The O-ring version is becoming more common as time passes.

2. I tried to order a diaphragm demonstrator version and received an o-ring version, despite the pictures in the listing. However when I have asked sellers about the filling system they have been able to tell me which one the pen actually was before ordering. As RoyalBlueNotebooks says, if both versions are available on the drop down box then you should get the one you select.

IIRC as per FrankUnderwater's blog, you can tell them apart by the ink window: rounded edges is the old batch, while straight edges means new version.

EDIT: personally, and to be extra sure, I'd wait for either mentag or jewelrymathematics to stock them. These two sellers get my trust, as both provided me with genuine items and top notch service.

Edited by sciumbasci

I'm sorry, but hooded nibs just don't appeal to me.

Furthermore.... What about cleaning the bugger out?

Not something you could use with pigmented or gall derived inks.

I hear you, but there's a pen for every purpose and personality.

This is the perfect pen for someone who only uses one ink, writes often enough to require a decent ink supply and fast refilling system (single-handed filling, nonetheless), and leaves the pen uncapped for extended periods while writing. This is definitely a workhorse pen for someone who does a lot of writing.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

One had to recognize the mechanism is invented in those days and when frequent change of ink is not envisioned nor practical. AFAIC, pigment ink , just like carbon ink with their inherent nature of being solid particle with binder is foremost not suited for fountain pen if you are not in the habit nor need to use them regularly and in quantity ( which in those days would not be a problem because back then people do need to use them daily and in quantity ), & as far as Iron Gall ink are concern, well the ink demand cleaning no matter what but even in old days people had no issue using Iron Gall ink in Vacumatic or hooded nib equipped pens. Just as stated in previous post, cleaning is not a simple just flush it affair like pen with C/C but then its not impossible either, like all thing it just take some getting used to.

if your need is for an easy user friendly pen that's low maintenance; then first thing first a vacumatic mechanism is likely not the best of an idea, nor are any pen that cannot be easily flushed ( that include plenty of Piston Filler also ) and as far as hooded nib goes, they are no different than open nib as regard to cleaning and ink precaution.

Edited by Mech-for-i

IIRC as per FrankUnderwater's blog, you can tell them apart by ......

I think most on forum do not read Chinese or read only a little AFAIK, so I will thrown in mine regarding. Actually the Mfr had already announced that the diaphragm equipped model of the 601 will be phased out and remianing stock is what would be ; and all future production would be piston pump equipped. And as far as pen body goes, the old color (Black, Pale Teal, Rice Bran,& Teal ) would use the already in stock parts which is not compatible with piston pump ( aka new year batch ) until parts cache depleted; , then these color would be made in the new modified pattern ( aka Mar 25th batch and on ) all the new color ( Burgundy, Battleship Gray, & Military Green as well as both demo ) have the modified pattern of barrel that's compatible with both piston pump and diaphragm; so retrofitting both mechanism is possible in these new patterned barrel.

The solid color ( both windowed and non windowed ) variant of the piston pump 601 had already hit the shelf, and the Mfr had made a simple identifying feature. All the original diaphragm mechanism equipped 601 had their cap jewel in steel, and all the piston pump equipped 601 had their cap jewel in plastic.

Right now I am actively trying to figure how to hack one of my 601 to be an Japanese style ED

What are the older non-piston pump models that this 601 is based on? 612, 613? How about the 7xx and 8xx hooded nib models? Appreciate a bit history of the Wing Sung (Yong Sheng) models.

Thanks.

EDIT: personally, and to be extra sure, I'd wait for either mentag or jewelrymathematics to stock them. These two sellers get my trust, as both provided me with genuine items and top notch service.

Just an FYI, jewelrymathematics (YCPENS) just listed the new piston type 601s on ebay.

Has anyone tried flying with one of these?

I've got a month-long trip coming up and I could probably survive with a single fill in this pen with an EF nib, but leaking in flight would be terrible.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small