• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jerome Tarshis

• sannidh

• Matlock

• manray086

The Peerless 125 are very high quality pens and great writers!

Have 2 of them.

:)

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

The only thing that worries we about the nibs.com blurb is the claim that "Cross enjoys the reputation of the longest continuously operating fountain pen company in the world." Really?

It's possible that what they mean is without takeovers by other companies, as is now the case with MB, Parker, Waterman, etc who have a parent company, although a quick check may suggest that Cross was sold in 2013.

Edited by Bluey

It's possible that what they mean is without takeovers by other companies, as is now the case with MB, Parker, Waterman, etc who have a parent company, although a quick check may suggest that Cross was sold in 2013.

Yes you could be right, however Cross produced their first fountain pen in 1930 but no more were produced until 1982, so to use the term continuous is a little misleading. Perhaps they should have left the word 'fountain' out of the claim.

Peter

Copied from the US website

About Cross

The A. T. Cross Company is a major international manufacturer of fine writing instruments, timepieces, and personal accessories. Cross products are sold to consumers through fine stores worldwide and to the business gift market via a network of companies specializing in recognition programs.

Since Richard Cross made the first Cross product in 1846, we have re-invented the writing instrument category, combining design ingenuity with jewelry-quality craftsmanship. We were America's first manufacturer of quality writing instruments, and that means that we've been making pens people use, depend on and enjoy for a long time.

What we’re most proud of, though, isn’t all that’s changed since 1846. It’s what hasn’t changed. Headquartered in beautiful Providence, Rhode Island. A. T. Cross is proud to still be a part of the community we helped build. And we still make products unsurpassed in quality and value, one at a time and by hand, just as Richard Cross did.

What was meant was that the company exists since 1846, not that they produce FPs since then.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Copied from the US website

What was meant was that the company exists since 1846, not that they produce FPs since then.

D.ick

Yes, I am sure that was meant, but what was said was: "Cross enjoys the reputation of the longest continuously operating fountain pen company in the world." ​which is not quite the same thing.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

It's a beautiful nib made by sailor, at some point I like the construction & impeccable balance of the Tokyo pen more than the others.

Anyone who has been adventurous enough to swap the 125 nib with a usual sailor nib :D ?

I will certainly do that with the NMF after a while :), the usual sailor body seems such a waste for the beautiful Naginata nib otherwise.

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

"They" seems to be a dangerously ambiguous word here. That a low-level employee in Rhode Island has no idea of the manufacturer's name I can believe. Telephoning a company from outside, one doesn't always reach a person who knows the answers.

That Cross has no idea of the manufacturer's name rather strains belief. Does Cross know only the manufacturer's bank-transfer details, but not the company's name? Surely the nib manufacturer expects to be paid. By a fine old New England company that doesn't know where it is sending its money?

Some proof of the twin-souls :D, with joy!

The nib

8zLEUMu.png

The Feed

0K7nRcX.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have just purchased a Peerless 125 and am pleasantly surprised to say it puts virtually all my other pens to shame. It really is a superb writer, and very comfortable to use.

I never liked their appearance before.....my opinion has now changed!

Edited by landrover

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the pen on the Peerless 125 is one of, if not the smoothest nib, I have ever tried. I bought the London edition with a fine nib. There is not even a little “tooth” with this nib. I can't stop writing with it.

Is the nib finished the same as Sailor pens, i.e. feedback and special grind on Medium and Broad nibs? Or has additional work been done on the nib to produce a glassy smooth sensation?

Is the nib finished the same as Sailor pens, i.e. feedback and special grind on Medium and Broad nibs? Or has additional work been done on the nib to produce a glassy smooth sensation?

Found 125 nib to be much more giving/smooth and some extra work seems to have been done on this nib, however the sample size is 3 :)

Edited by sannidh