Lamy Fine Nib Corrosion

adayley

Seen it so may times and did not realise that's what was happening at that point - cheers.

I actually operate lasers in my day to day...so my eye is quicker to follow the movement of the laser than most might be.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adayley

• Bo Bo Olson

• KellyMcJ

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't say.

But I found my old post with the video link where you can see the laser in action.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/323366-lamy-11-mmm-nib/?p=3876968

That laser work in the video looks slightly offset from the breather hold and slit. That is just the same location of my "dots." The rest of that thread seems to describe what I am seeing on my Fine nibs. It includes a comment that someone's Extra Fine doesn't have the dots, matching my own EF nib!

So, I think my issue is not corrosion but something done at the factory.

Thank you all for the discussion. What a great group!

Ask Lamy, they do have folks that speak English...but are re-known to be slow with an Email....if it's a fault, Lamy will fix it for free.

Attack the picture to your Email.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I thought it had been established nibs with those spots were potentially fakes ? The Lamy nibs are precision cut by laser in an industrial machine, there's no correction post there and any that do not meet standards are ditched (and presumably recycled).

Never heard of that. I bought nibs directly from Lamy and they show these marks.

And aren't the slits cut by thin cutting discs? The breather hole is punched like the nbs themselves, if I'm not mistaken. The nibs would show thermal coloration. And the nibs are bend before the slit and hole come in place as other videos show.

4-5 years ago, I won a Lamy Factory tour from a Newspaper. the nib machine is 4mx10m, operated by a single man, and the slits cut by thin rubber cutting disc.

Could be the roughness is to slow down ink flow by a hair. could be new, in that was not mentioned when the 22/24 (it's been a while) cuts needed to make a nib was shown....on a single strip of steel.

At one stage after the cutting the slit, the tines spring apart and are brought back by heating.....

Perhaps they are starting to use laser as a heat source than how ever they had been heating the nib to force the tines back together before.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

At one stage after the cutting the slit, the tines spring apart and are brought back by heating.....

Perhaps they are starting to use laser as a heat source than how ever they had been heating the nib to force the tines back together before.

Most likely. In the video you can see the nib is still being bend when the laser treatment starts. I haven't noticed it before. This could indeed be some treatment to temper and release the tension in the metal. Maybe.

Most likely. In the video you can see the nib is still being bend when the laser treatment starts. I haven't noticed it before. This could indeed be some treatment to temper and release the tension in the metal. Maybe.

Now that's an explanation I hadn't thought of!

Well helps to have seen the huge nib making machine and the skinny rubber diamond dust coated cutting disks....plus the way the tines spread in the thin band of steel showing all the cuts needed to make a 'flat' spade Lamy steel nib.

Curved or half round classic nibs might use a different process.

:wallbash: banging one's head against the wall sometimes produces stars to follow to a conclusion.....takes longer not being paid to bang one's head into a conclusion.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

I have at least 10 Lamy nibs of different tip widths, for various Safaris, Nexx's and Al-stars plus some spares, and not one of them has any marks like those in the OP's picture. :o

I have 3 bought from different parts of the world and they dont have the mark

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

How new are the laser mared nibs? How old are the rest? 4 or so years before when I toured the factory no one then mentioned lasers in the huge nib making machine.

How new are the laser mared nibs? How old are the rest? 4 or so years before when I toured the factory no one then mentioned lasers in the huge nib making machine.

The nib pictured in this thread came with a Lamy AL-Star purchased new from Amazon this last July.

I have three Safari Pens with fine and EFnibs The EF nib is a black which has a sign of corroding all over top and underneat as well. It looks like an uncleaned dip nib left on a holder. looks horrible.

I have three Safari Pens with fine and EFnibs The EF nib is a black which has a sign of corroding all over top and underneat as well. It looks like an uncleaned dip nib left on a holder. looks horrible.

Pictures available?