Yousef

Hello, this is my first post on fountain pen network it seems like a welcoming place.

I need a budget fountain pen around 10 to 40 dollars or so for it to be my first fountain pen.I also I am in school still so I also need a pen with at least a fine nib that writes smoothly (European fine not Japanese fine). I think the best choice is Lamy Safari or a Metropolitan?Is it?Anyone is welcome to suggest any other FP's.

Also, I will use the pen as a Workhorse pen it is gonna get very heavy usage.

Sincerely -Yousef

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Yousef

• Astronymus

• Bisquitlips

• Henricum_Tropen

Hi

Hello, this is my first post on fountain pen network it seems like a welcoming place.

I need a budget fountain pen around 10 to 40 dollars or so for it to be my first fountain pen.I also I am in school still so I also need a pen with at least a fine nib that writes smoothly (European fine not Japanese fine). I think the best choice is Lamy Safari or a Metropolitan?Is it?Anyone is welcome to suggest any other FP's.

Also, I will use the pen as a Workhorse pen it is gonna get very heavy usage.

Sincerely -Yousef

Hi, welcome to the group. I'm relatively new to FPs too. I find that the Lamy Safari is much more comfortable to use because it is lighter. When you are writing alot throughout the day it is better to have a light pen. The Lamy is plastic but a very durable and has a nice tactile finish , where as a Pilot Metro is metal and the grip section is too skinny for my taste. Although, you have to try out the triangular grip section on the Lamy is not for everyone. It restricts your grip to basically one position. The ink window on the Lamy Safari is very helpful because with the Pilot Metropolitan I'm always running out of ink at the worst times and the converter that it comes with is not transparent so there is no way to tell how much ink is left.

Hope this helps

Btw, the TWSBI eco has become very popular these days. You might consider it if you like how it looks.

If the triangular grip of the Safari works for you then this pen will be a good workhorse.

Welcome aboard, from Charleston, SC. I support the recommendations for the Lamy and the Metro, and, although I have no personal experience with them, the Pilot Penmanship Pen is very inexpensive and recently got good reviews here. The Lamy also has the added advantage of nibs that are easy to swap out, should you decide to try different sizes or styles (like stub nibs),with video from Gouletpens on how to do this.

As you are a newbie, you might look at the Reference Pages on a website called Richard's Pens: it has a wealth of info about the basics of fountain pens, their use and care, and it will help you avoid making some mistakes. A couple of other websites with useful information for newbies include PenChalet, Jetpens and the Goulet Pen Company. Goulet has made quite a few videos available on their website and on YouTube, which are helpful with some procedures related to FP use. Bear in mind that how your writing appears on the page is a complex interplay of pen, paper, nib, ink, and handwriting, so be patient as you experiment with these variables. Enjoy, and good luck.

Mike

Thank you all for the welcomes and suggestions, I will get the safari (Not the TWSBI Eco because it seems more like a second level pen). Btw, do any of you have a good blue ink that works on cheap graph and school paper?

Edited by Yousef

Also, getting the LAMY Safari on fine from either Germany, Dusseldorf or Goulet Pen Company.Thanks again, getting it three to five months from now.

Lamy blue and blue-black are absolutly well behaved inks on school paper. It would be an easy and save choice. With a converter there is room for more choices, as Lamy pens only use proprietary cartridges.

Welcome, Yousef !

I like the Pilot Metropolitan. It is light and easy to carry. I like the classic design.

Were I an university student again, I would carry two of the economical Metropolitan.pens.

The LAMY Safari is somewhat larger than the Pilot Metropolitan. (Choose for your comfort.)

The Safari is , indeed, a workhorse. I think it is nearly indestructible. There are several

different nibs, that can be changed in a few seconds.

The clear, transparent version of the LAMY Safari, is called "Vista". The aluminum body

version is called "Al-star".

Please let us know which you choose.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

If I was back in school a Lamy Safari would be my choice.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Bot converters will work. Z28 is the new model. But they made just a few non-functional design changes.

I’m a noob as well and ordered the metropolitan with medium nib. It is good on cheap paper but does not write well on decent thick paper. I’m still experimenting but my first impressions are not good at all. Writes dry and a bit scratchy in my opinion. I’m looking forward to trying the Lamy Safari tomorrow when I get it

Thank you all for the welcomes and suggestions, I will get the safari (Not the TWSBI Eco because it seems more like a second level pen). Btw, do any of you have a good blue ink that works on cheap graph and school paper?

The Lamy's a solid choice. Out of all the beginner level pens it is my favorite. I would be content with only having the Lamy Safari since it's such a reliable and durable pen with a section that holds itself in your hand effortlessly IMO. Definitely play around with your grip if it's not working for you at first. I didn't like it at first until I relaxed my fingers and let the pointer finger rest against the front flaring lips and with my thumb higher up on the section I can hold it effortlessly, but that's just one way.

I like the Eco, but I prefer the Safari. I find it more comfortable

If the finer nib on the Safari is too scratchy or feedbacky I recommend trying out Sailor Kiwa-Guro. It is very lubricated and helps make scratchy or feedbacky nibs smooth, and it writes very well on cheaper paper. But it is a little pricey outside Amazon.

I’m a noob as well and ordered the metropolitan with medium nib. It is good on cheap paper but does not write well on decent thick paper. I’m still experimenting but my first impressions are not good at all. Writes dry and a bit scratchy in my opinion. I’m looking forward to trying the Lamy Safari tomorrow when I get it

I recommend making sure you have a Loupe like that sold at Goulet Pens. That way you can check the tines in case they are too close.

But first I'd make sure you clean the pen out. It could also be an ink that isn't right for it.

I found that many of my pens don't write as well on thicker paper. If you are using Fountain Pen specific paper I recommend Tomoe River Paper. TRP, especially like Nanami Seven Seas Notebooks are great for ink flow and feel much better than Clairefontaine and Rhodia.

The Lamy Safari is a great pen. It's light, durable, and dependable, as well as affordable for the high level of functionality you get out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late, but: Hello Yousef and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill