Gazing Far Fountain Pens From Taiwan

SlowRain

Did you try any of their inks?

Mung Bean looks interesting. On the list it goes!

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SlowRain

• someguyhere

• FrankH

• MuddyWaters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My understanding is that Faber Castell nibs *are* made by JoWo. The Graf von FC nibs are from Bock. Also, I believe Schmidt sources nibs from both Jowo and Bock.

this might well be and would not surprise me, nonetheless, if you have used a Faber Castell nib, a GvFC nib, a Jowo nib and a Bock nib you will probably concur they do not feel the same.

When companies like GvFC commission production of a nib to a company like Bock, they evidently define specifications including the tuning, polishing etc. Even the structure/shape of the nib can be different, so what you get is a different nib (fortunately for us).

Did you try any of their inks?

No, I haven't. Their inks are relatively new. Also, I'm not sure how water-resistant they are, and that is a requirement for me. I've bought two pens from the store that sells their products in my city, so I'm sure I could go there and sample them, but their store hours don't cooperate with my work schedule.

The pens look interesting but the shipping is a killer. Anyways, how does the finger section feel? The pens do look really nice, but is the finger section slippery? I have a TWSBI 580 AL and while the pen itself works well, I don't like using it because it feels so slick. I've tried other pens before with metal sections and I've been fine though.

I find it to be similar to my Pilot Metropolitan and my TWISBI Diamond 580AL. That's probably not what you wanted to hear. I feel that the threads at the bottom & the step at the top do provide something to grip, though. However, if the way you hold a pen doesn't coincide with those two places, you may not enjoy writing with it.

I live in a very hot and humid climate. I use my Pilot Metropolitan and TWISBI Diamand 580AL as my daily drivers. I find myself wiping my hands on my pants every once in a while. I have recently bought a Faber-Castell Essentio with its ridged aluminum grip. I haven't been through the summer months with it yet, but I imagine it'd be more grippy.

Aw shoot. The section does look pretty slippery. I have a Fine Writing International Bronze Age and a Karas Kustom Ink and those metallic sections are easy to grip with. But I find my fingers don't like the surface of the 580 AL (never touched a Pilot Metropolitan though).

My climate is typically cooler and not humid, but I think it's really only the 580 AL that I don't particularly like writing with.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, I emailed them a few questions to see if maybe they had any other shipping options, and their email doesn't work. I guess you must have bought it in person?

I first saw it in person in a store then, when I was deciding to buy it, I emailed the company to ask some questions, and the owner answered my questions. His name is Lawrence. The email address is the name of the company (all one word: gazingfar) at Gmail. I emailed him again a couple of weeks ago, and he responded.

Thanks for the info! The email on his website doesn't work - what you gave me was another one, which does work. Anyways, talked with the guy and he seems super nice. Anyways, still kind of interested to try the pen but I guess that will have to wait for now.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I see what you mean. Strictly as a comparison, I would say the Gazing Far's step is less pronounced than the Pilot Metropolitan's and feels smoother to the touch. But, the Metropolitan's step is higher up and further away from the nib and therefore in a place few people would be gripping. I don't find the step on the Gazing Far to be sharp or annoying, but that may just be me and how I hold the pen. I find it adds a subtle bit of traction without discomfort. Of course, your mileage may vary.

There is a store in the Netherlands, called Scrittura Elegante, selling them if that helps anyone in the EU with shipping. It also appears they have their own fruit-inspired inks, too.

https://www.scrittura-elegante.nl/gazing-far.html

(I'm not in any way connected to either company, but I have emailed Gazing Far a couple of times. It was the second fountain pen I ever bought, and I enjoy using it. I'm considering getting a second one myself--that is if the CFO [my wife] approves. :D )

Dear SlowRain,

Thank you for the mention of Scrittura Elegante. If anyone has Questions about Gazing far products i am more than willing to try to answer all the questions.

Kind regards,

Petra Bosman

Scrittura Elegante

• 6 months later...

Hi forum contributors. I have not seen Gazing Far but I like the name very much. Taiwan produces another pen I have heard about. I even ordered one for myself today. Next week I hope to post comments about it but there will be members who have already tried, Ystudio Brasses and Copper. I want to experience the colourful patina when handling the metal barrel and cap. If the new pen fits my hand and writing style I think I will buy a copper as well. There is a beautiful carry-box and leather cord that I will be excited to see. Schmidt nib also features on Ystudio. I love to see wear patterns appear on any of my treasured items.

I suppose Kaweco Sport copper would be similar. I do have a Kaweco Sport V16 set in Black with "Victoria Versicherung" printed on the cap but I would much prefer to hold a metal one.

πTom

• 1 year later...

Can someone who owns the pen tell me: Is the nib on the Gazing Far tm2 interchangeable (can be unscrewed, and replaced) with other nibs?