Montblanc Fort Worth Service Center

StarlightWizard

I recently had to send in a Montblanc to the Service Center at Fort Worth, TX. (FWSC) There are older posts from two or more years ago on the subject, but I thought I’d describe my experience on a new thread and others can share their experiences of the Service Center as a resource possibly to other Montblanc users who may wonder about sending their pens to the FWSC or if their pens were to be sent to Hamburg for further work.

On July 22, I mailed my Montblanc 146 (1991-ish) to the FWSC. The feed (or the nib) was quite misaligned and the pen often skipped writing, so I sent the pen in, not only to be realigned, but also for general checkup and polishing. I placed the 146 in a Montblanc box that I had (without the warranty, since the pen is out of warranty anyways) and placed that box in a used Amazon box, with labels all removed. Then I sent it out via UPS with tracking, so I was notified when the Center received the pen on the 24th. As a quick note: the Montblanc box was returned separately 3 days later.

The pen was registered the same day it arrived at the FWSC. I called just to confirm, and the service “ambassador” (as they’re called) said it’d take 1-2 days for the technician to evaluate the pen. He gave me the Reference Number, which is extremely helpful for future calls. When 2 days passed without any estimate, I called again, and apparently the technician had already assessed the pen. The pen had a few cracks (I was unaware of it) in the barrel and cone. Because the assessment was complete, I was given the option of paying for the repairs on the phone so they could start on it right away. I was charged $100 flat fee for the service and replacement. With tax and shipping, it’d be $120 total.

For more detailed information, this was the “Service Flat rate 2”, which includes:

- Careful examination and diagnosis of writing instrument;
- Complete disassembly of the writing instrument;
- Cleaning of parts
- Exchange of broken parts and fatigued pieces
- Reassembly, check, and polishing of Writing Instrument

My guess is that Service rate 3 would involve exchanging the nib, which would cost above $300. In any case, the Montblanc ambassador noted a strange discrepancy with the evaluation. The technician apparently identified the cap as being needed to be replaced, but the estimate did not include replacing the cap. The ambassador sent an e-mail to the service center to inquire about the discrepancy. But, she clarified that if the cap were cracked and required replacement, it would be complimentary as part of the Service Flat rate 2. But if it were not broken, I could request for replacement for cosmetic reasons for an additional cost (about $50). Because I did not receive the estimate via e-mail, I asked for it to be sent so I could keep for records.

In previous threads on the subject, people have sent in vintage Montblancs for repair. The FWSC does not repair. All broken or fatigued pieces will be replaced, likely with newer pieces. Hence, repairs on vintage pieces should not go through the FWSC. Additionally, nib replacement might require the pen to be shipped to Hamburg, which would lengthen completion time. Also, the estimate had a note that said if service is declined, the FWSC would likely charge a $40 service fee for technician time used for investigating the pen and preparing the estimate.

The FWSC finished the repair on the 2nd and sent the pen back via UPS that same day, and I asked them for tracking information. They e-mailed it to me later that day. It arrived back home in perfect condition a few days later.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the entire process, and every step of the process moved along at around 2-3 days from each other with exception to the actual repair process. However, I highly recommend staying on top of it by calling them once a day or every other day once the FWSC receives your package. I was told the FWSC is “very busy”, which may mean it is more important to stay on top of it in order that your pen does not get lost in the process. The general Montblanc service phone number is 1-800-995-4810, ext. 3., but I think it is not the number for the service center, but of the service call center (which, I suspect, is based in NYC).

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• StarlightWizard

• Ghost Plane

• Chrissy

What was the first step, did you call them first to schedule the service?

I'm curious because I have a 146 with very visible hairline cracks (stress by age, and dumb previous owner over-tightening the knob?) radiating out from the top of the barrel. Doesn't diminish usability but I really want to take care of it. And the nib is a wonderful one.

I really need to stop procrastinating and have the pen repaired into its pristine state.

-k

~ StarlightWizard:

Although I don't live in the United States, your superb description of your experience with the Ft. Worth Service Center was a great read.

Thank you for systematically describing the various steps, including details which offer context.

You've given a great year-end gift by offering such a valuable post.

I hope that your 146 will continue to write well for you.

Tom K.

katerchen: I simply sent it to them without contacting them. When they receive it, they will register it. The hairline cracks on my 146 were not visible at all - they must've used some magnifying lens to identify them. But they won't repair the cone - they'll simply replace it. And if your 146 has an old feed, they may replace it with a modern one. I should also add that, per their instructions, you should pack your pen with a short letter (1 page) with your address, e-mail, phone, and describing the problem(s) and any other requests (i.e. if your barrel is engraved and you want to keep it, you can specify that they don't change the barrel). I would, however, follow it up with regular phone calls just so they don't forget.

Although I don't have specific dealings with Forth Worth, Montblanc service also request that you don't send them the pen box, as you may not get it back. Instead you should use a pen tube, especially if you have a Montblanc one from a previous service.

It's good to hear that this repair went well though, compared with some other experiences we've read about. :)

If you have access to a Boutique they can handle everything for you. I had a 25 year old ballpoint that was my daily driver and was literally losing chunks of the barrel with each use. The Orange County, CA boutique took the pen and sent it in for service. A few weeks and $90 later it was back and as good as new. It's burgundy which they no longer make, but will repair to the original color. MB customer service is top notch.

If you have access to a Boutique they can handle everything for you. I had a 25 year old ballpoint that was my daily driver and was literally losing chunks of the barrel with each use. The Orange County, CA boutique took the pen and sent it in for service. A few weeks and $90 later it was back and as good as new. It's burgundy which they no longer make, but will repair to the original color. MB customer service is top notch.

~ Jaybeez:

Thank you for the positive report.

I'm very glad that your burgundy ballpoint continues to write well for you.

The Orange County boutique did a fine job of meeting yours needs.

Such upbeat reports are encouraging.

Tom K.

This all seems drastic overkill. Ive sent pens to Fort Worth many times and never had to call. The communication from MB about the repair was prompt,and they fixed the pens just as promptly.