• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• jmccarty3

• asegier

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

None. They make nice Maki-e pens, but their work is nowhere as refined and beautiful as Namiki. If I had to get a Maki-e, I would always go to Namiki.

I would choose either the Dragon & Phoenix or Ginkgo & Maple Leaves. But really, they are all stunning.

I can´t speak intelligently as to the difference in quality between Pelikan and Namiki Maki-e craftsmanship, though. All I can say is that, at the end of the day, I want them ALL!

Maple and Ginkgo for me, as a Ginkgo was the first bonsai I bought!

I'd love to get one, not sure I could ever afford to buy one though!!

Probably the Genji set. Very fine work. I think Namiki pens tend to be at the highest level but the Pelikan designs are not at all unsophisticated or second-rate by any means.

There are so many beautiful examples, I couldn't choose ! I wish they weren't so expensive and I would have a pen tray full of them!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

None. I don't trust Maki-e pens to have the lacquer cured enough for me to be safe to use. Yes, I DO know what urushiol oil is -- and yes, I AM that allergic. They are beautiful pens, though. Sigh....

From a purely aesthetic (rather than a practical) standpoint, my choice would be either the Ginko and Maple Leaves pen or the Renjishi pen, because they are more subtle designs.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ginkgo & Maple Leaves for me, but probably not given the price point. But 15 years ago that's what I said about $500 for a pen; thus I don't own a Toledo!

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

So many are gorgeous: The Fireworks and Fantasia are my favorites. Then the Cherry Blossom and the Spring & Autumn pens. Why? I love fireworks and the pattern on the Fantasia. The red background of the Cherry Blossom makes quite a dramatic impression. However, besides price making them unobtainable, the M1000 size is too big for me.

Edited by oregano

I would probably pass. For a few reasons.

1. They don't really speak to me.

2. Price point.

3. Size. They are to big.

I think they are beautiful, but they just aren't for me.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Just my opinion, but the combination of the Pelikan's German aesthetic with Japanese Maki-e produces too much cognitive dissonance. That is not to say that the Maki-e on the Pelikans is not beautifully done--it just doesn't look right to me.

From Japan, there are the Namiki Maki-e pens that are the gold standard, the Nakayas, the Platinum Izumos, the Danitrios, and the Sailor limited editions.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Fireworks is the one that I have always wanted. I love what the imagery invokes. Reminds me of 4th of July and backyard BBQs. I got to see one in person once and was underwhelmed by it a bit but that would still be the one I'd go for.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I certainly would never buy one, but given the poster's original question it seems that price is not part of the equation.

For me it would be a toss up between the Koi and the Sea World. Sea World has been on the market much longer than Koi so it has been the object of my attraction for years. When the Koi version hit the market I was immediately interested. I have a Koi pond with about 15 koi, a pen featuring these elegant and peaceful creatures would be a great reminder of my fish.

Given the price and the fact that the M800 model is too big for me for comfortable writing, there is no chance that I will own one of these pens.

Just my opinion, but the combination of the Pelikan's German aesthetic with Japanese Maki-e produces too much cognitive dissonance. That is not to say that the Maki-e on the Pelikans is not beautifully done--it just doesn't look right to me.

From Japan, there are the Namiki Maki-e pens that are the gold standard, the Nakayas, the Platinum Izumos, and the Sailor limited editions.

Agreed. They just don't look right. Perhaps I should have worded my post in a better way.

Namiki is really the top tier amongst Maki-e brands. Even though Danitrio, Nakaya etc. Make more designs than Namiki, they still don't compare with the refinement and the beauty of Namiki Maki-e (for me at least).

I like them all! :)

None. They make nice Maki-e pens, but their work is nowhere as refined and beautiful as Namiki. If I had to get a Maki-e, I would always go to Namiki.

Can I ask why that is? More renown artist, better quality materials? I am taking the writing qualities of the pen out of consideration when asking this - I am only referring to the maki-e itself. Thanks.

Can I ask why that is? More renown artist, better quality materials? I am taking the writing qualities of the pen out of consideration when asking this - I am only referring to the maki-e itself. Thanks.

Sure, you can.

I think more than the factors you mentioned, it is about the overall looks of the pen with maki-e.

Pelikan Maki-e has some interesting designs, but like one of the posters above mentioned, the overall look of the pen isn't as great as what Namiki makes. Not saying that Pelikan makes bad pens, I have 4: 1x M1000 and 3x M80x.

I'm really looking forward to buying a Namiki next year.

Edited by Mew

I'm getting a very interesting mix of replies here :)

I suppose I should've started off by saying something along the lines of if you HAD to choose a Pelikan Maki-e, (lets say it's for free!). But too late now haha.

In any case, I am surprised by the underwhelming response rate for the Dragonfly. It seems there's only one reply with someone who likes it.

I understand that there's a contrasting mix of having German + Japanese in one pen. But the craftsmanship (of the Maki-e) should still be done purely in Japan by Japanese Craftsmen, so although they are combined, the Maki-e part should be pure Japanese craftsmanship. I agree that I think the Maki-e from Namiki has much nicer beautiful form factor and overall completion as a full piece though :)

In any case. A Pelikan Maki-e has been chosen and purchased. But I would still love to hear all your opinions and comments!