Vintage Sheaffer Skrip Permanent Red And Rc35

MercianScribe

Saw a pic of the top of an old Skrip Permanent Red, and it says this:

post-132145-0-37840300-1513616138_thumb.jpg

Sounds fantastic!

Does anyone know to what this is referring, did it work, and does the modern Red Skrip still contain anything like this?!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• welch

• eharriett

• johnboz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hahaha this explains why some of noodlers fluoresces! He probably took the idea from an old script bottle!

I have one of these permeant red NOS bottles of ink on the way to me. it'll be fun to see if it still fluoresces after all these years...and if the ink is still good. *keeps fingers crossed*

RC35 was a magic ingredient that Sheaffer advertised for Skrip back in the 1960's. Current Skrip -- also known as "Slovenian Skrip" -- does not have it.

Did RC35 work? I don;t know, although I used Skrip back then.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Does anyone have any samples on the new vs. the old script? It would be fun to see the differences in color and how they handle different papers.

No doubt it causes cancer in California... :P

Yeah, I'm amazed the whole state hasn't passed on, given the number of those signs I saw the last time I came through.

Does anyone have any samples on the new vs. the old script? It would be fun to see the differences in color and how they handle different papers.

Easy to find Skrip from the 1960s. Check EBay, looking especially for the traditional blue&yellow boxes and bottles. Look for RC35: 1950's Skrip and 1970's Skrip (after the Textron take-over) used the same packaging but did not have RC35.

RC35 was not intended to "flouresce", and the written line looks like any other ink.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

RC35 was not intended to "flouresce", and the written line looks like any other ink.

Did Sheaffer provide instructions on how to properly utilize RC-35? If it wasn’t supposed to fluoresce, how was it intended to be used?

And would a little bit of Noodler’s Blue Ghost mixed in with an ink get you the same result?

Did Sheaffer provide instructions on how to properly utilize RC-35? If it wasn’t supposed to fluoresce, how was it intended to be used?

And would a little bit of Noodler’s Blue Ghost mixed in with an ink get you the same result?

Those are good questions. I'm wondering the same thing now, since I know that some people mix Blue Ghost with inks to increase their water resistance.

Although, after seeing the link you posted, I can't imagine adding permanence would be good for an ink designed to be washable.... I'm wondering if the stuff was more like Photo-flo, since the ad says it prevents stuff like clogging....

Well, that made me curious. So I went on Google, and found this on Google Books:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-exqdS1GIHEC&pg=PA129&lpg=PA129&dq=rc-35+ink+additive&source=bl&ots=g0M0e9Jp8q&sig=UX51_XIyR3RXTDYxOu1lldPUMm4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjto7Dgo5nYAhULleAKHQzXBO0Q6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=rc-35%20ink%20additive&f=false

The caption under the photo said that the fluorescent component RC-35 would remain even after washable ink was removed, because the fluorescent component helped prevent forgery (i.e., you could still see what was originally written). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to say just what RC-35 WAS.

Kinda amused, though, that the will shown in the photo was apparently originally written with "Sheaffer Green". Because that just screams of our favorite ink enabler and attorney, Amberlea Davis -- who has been known to add Blue Ghost to inks on occasion.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Saw a pic of the top of an old Skrip Permanent Red, and it says this:

attachicon.gifSkrip Red Vintage.JPG

Sounds fantastic!

Does anyone know to what this is referring, did it work, and does the modern Red Skrip still contain anything like this?!

I remember that magical R35. I placed a lot of hope for it to preserve my scribbles 50+ years ago. Mine was a part of Skrip Permanent Jet Black ink. And I have looked, and that ink is still quite readable, although I do not think that the R35 had anything to do with that :lticaptd:.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Okay, I found my bottle of Skrip Perm Red. I have it sealed in Saran Wrap. I took a picture of the bottle. My bottle does not have a number and it does not fluoresce in the bottle or on the label *where it is spilled* but maybe it will be different on regular paper. I will report back.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Sheaffer's Skrip was not supposed to "flouresce", whatever that would look like. Skrip was supposed to look like ink, and it did. Still does: it's easy to find "vintage" Skrip from the '60s. The secret of the ingredient RC35 probably went into a landfill in Fort Madison when Sheaffer eliminated their traditional ink business (that is, reformulated it and shifted the business to Slovenia).

All I know is what Sheaffer put on the boxes: if writing was washed away, you could shine a flourescent light on it and, bingo, you could read your writing.

We never tried that, and tried never to need it. Instead, we put pages into a loose-leaf notebook, and then shielded the notebook from rain. Later, we might put the pages into a folder. I have essays from the early '60s written in Washable Skrip. Perfectly readable.

I've got a good amount of vintage Skrip, but have never tested the claims of RC-35. Sheaffer started adding it to Skrip in 1956. While I'm sure it was mostly marketing to compete with the other ink manufacturers of the time, there is probably some truth to their claim. I'm currently out of town and away from my ink supply, but when I get back I'll do some tests and let you know what I find out.

I've got a blog!

Fountain Pen Love

Okay, I just tested with different papers. The ink did not fluoresce until I tried to wash it away. I'll upload pictures later and John and I are doing a CRV to show you what we found.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

They are uploading as I type.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_2_Ink/12-December/slides/2017-12-28_UV_03.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_2_Ink/12-December/slides/2017-12-28_UV_04.jpg