Tiny Fountain Pens: Peter Pan, Welsharp, Eversharp Bantam, Eagle, Victapen, Superite, Conway Stewart

PenHero

A few bad pictures:

The Peter Pan, the gold filled EHCO and the Peggy pen

fpn_1558464274__20190521_181033.jpg

fpn_1558464335__20190521_181156.jpg

A Markant140 piston filler, 11cm long, side by side with a Kaweco liliput for size comparison.

fpn_1558464536__20190521_203555.jpg

fpn_1558464782__20190521_203630.jpg

One of these days I should take the time to take proper pictures, not with a crappy cell phone.

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• como

• spacecoastpenny

• sidthecat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all,

Here is my vintage mini-pen collection which includes,

LHS: Wahl (Sterling silver tempoint), Mentmore Minor, 3x Bantams, 5x Conway Stewart Dinkies (including a very nice peacock), Onoto.

RHS: Wahl, 2x Watermans (including a Safety and a filigree overlay), Wahl, 2x H. S. Worth (eyedroppers), Morrisons, 2xSwan, Dasi (Australian manufacture) and unknown.

Bigger is not always better!

DSC00444_zps3j3tmb2o.jpg

Hi all,

Here is my vintage mini-pen collection which includes,

LHS: Wahl (Sterling silver tempoint), Mentmore Minor, 3x Bantams, 5x Conway Stewart Dinkies (including a very nice peacock), Onoto.

RHS: Wahl, 2x Watermans (including a Safety and a filigree overlay), Wahl, 2x H. S. Worth (eyedroppers), Morrisons, 2xSwan, Dasi (Australian manufacture) and unknown.

Bigger is not always better!

Really nice - thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that DanDeM's got the same gold-mounted Peter Pan as mine...splendid little creatures.

And there's another of those slender black and gold mystery pens on eBay: it's in less good shape, but the fact that there's two in the world leads one to believe that someone - however modest and self-effacing - someone was making them.

• 4 months later...

Now, after I had time to use it, I must say the Peter Pan eyedropper is one of my most appreciated pens, one I use regularly and enjoy a lot. Being an eyedropper, the only caution I need is to warm it point up in my hand for a couple of minutes before use to avoid blurps, but it never dries, never fails to start, never railroads, never misbehaves, writes very thin hairlines, flexes like a champ and gives just the point of feedback I love when writing. Posted it just fits in the hnd to write comfortably. I constantly have it inked with ESSR and it's a dream come true. I will have to clean it to let it rest for a while, one of thee days, but somehow, can't.

I had forgot about this (sort of) tiny one laying around: 11.5cm capped, British "UNIQUE" pen. I had another bigger version with the exact pattern and color, so this must be their junior model.

post-145678-0-54800700-1571242021_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a tiny Treasure fountain pen in pink orange striped celluloid c. 1934-1939. This 3 1/2 inch lever fill pen features a gold plated stainless steel medium nib that is a Wearever type. The clip is stamped Treasure in script and the trim is lightly gold plated and shows a lot of plating loss. The cap top and barrel end pieces are black. There is no imprint. Treasure was a Wearever brand with a movie tie in to the 1935 film Mutiny on the Bounty, as noted in the 1936 Wearever Catalog and a photo from the film appears on Treasure gift boxes. Wearever registered the Treasure name on November 5, 1935. An obvious question is "Why create the Treasure brand for that movie?" Wearever also registered the name and logo "Treasure Chest" on November 5, 1935 and there are gift boxes with that logo and a photo from the 1934 film Treasure Island, released on August 17th of that year. There is also at least one newspaper advertisement for the "Treasure Island" pen and pencil combo found in the Des Moines Tribune on October 4, 1934. Treasure pens were aimed at boys and girls, were small, and be found in many colorful celluloids as lever fill pens, pen and pencil combinations, and clear barrel bulb fillers. Pen and pencil combos retailed for 25 cents in 1936.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/Treasure_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a different view of the pen I posted in 2017.

This is a Superite Junior gold filled wave panel design ringtop tiny fountain pen c. 1923-1924. Superite was the pen and pencil brand of the De Witt–La France Company, founded by William P. De Witt and David J. La France in Cambridge, Massachusetts about 1918. The company made metal pens and pencils similar to the more well known Wahl Eversharp designs from the same period. There is limited information about the company, but they did patent improvements to the clip and lever fill mechanism that helps date certain products. This 3 9/16 inch long pen has SUPERITE JR over 1/20 GOLD FILLED PAT. PEND. on the barrel near the section threads. The lever mechanism patent for this pen was applied for March 22, 1923 and granted April 15, 1924, so the patent pending mark would date the pen about 1923 to 1924. These pens can be found with Superite and S stamped gold nibs. This one has a Warranted 14 karat gold flexible oblique.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SuperiteRingtop_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

Omas Dama, on the far right, in celluloid (you can tell by the small hole on the finial) with an Extra Lucens nib

next to a slightly larger 555F size Extra (1930) and on the Left an old style (single ring) 556F size Extra (Milord)

fpn_1591820194__p1190301-3_milord_extra_

• 2 months later...

Hi, Folks!

Here's another view of the same pen!

This is a Welsharp tiny fountain pen in red marble c. late 1930s. The Welsh Manufacturing Company made pens and pencils under the Welsharp name in the 1930s and when it applied for a trademark around 1938, The Wahl Company, makers of Wahl and Eversharp pens and pencils, successfully opposed this use in a 1940 decision. This is not surprising especially since this particular line would compete with The Wahl Company's line of 3 3/4 inch long Bantam pens, made from about 1933 to 1940. The Salz Brothers pen company had been making the 3 inch long Peter Pan pens since about 1916 and continued until at least 1943. This very small 3 5/8 inch long pen dates to the late 1930s. They came in a variety of colors including solid cream, yellow, and green and marbled green, red, red and black and pink. It features a black stepped cap top and barrel end cap and normally a 14 karat gold plated stainless steel nib. This example has a replacement Parker Lucky Curve number 2 gold nib.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WelsharpTinyPen_2048_01.jpg
Thanks!

• 7 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 12:20 AM, Greenie said:

Here is a Nupoint. In the exact same sized box as the EHCO Junior pens above. It is a Long/Short variety.

fpn_1513055914__tiny_04.jpg

fpn_1513055929__tiny_05.jpg

fpn_1513055946__tiny_06.jpg

fpn_1513055959__tiny_07.jpg

Hi Greenie, It's been a while since you posted this entry. I have recently become interested in the long / short pen design for pocket pens. I would like to know what is the filling mechanism for this pen. The Nupoint appears to be the earliest fountain pen incorporating the long / short concept.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:18 AM, sztainbok said:

Hi Greenie, It's been a while since you posted this entry. I have recently become interested in the long / short pen design for pocket pens. I would like to know what is the filling mechanism for this pen. The Nupoint appears to be the earliest fountain pen incorporating the long / short concept.

It is a dropper filled pen.  I am not sure about when it was made. If you include stylos, Mabie Todd made the "Longshort" stylo starting about 1907.

This is a nice little pen shown with a bantam for comparison. Early 20’s Conklin midget and has a tiny 2 nib that is the softest of my pens, I like to write with it but careful not to use much flex pressure and it is flexible Anyway 

4B0C54B9-C4FA-409F-A9D7-E2F02DFA0B02.jpeg

58A5933F-91D3-407C-A69F-D78E2C158ADC.jpeg

Regards, Glen

• 1 month later...

I have a tiny little thing, a fp/mp marked "Treasure" which was made by Wearever if I remember correctly.

Last week I was in a local antiques store and was looking at some of the pen trays.  I saw something that was marked as a Peter Pan but it was smaller than anything I'd ever seen -- I think it was maybe 2" long (capped) and (at most) a 1/4" in diameter.  I didn't buy it because I didn't know enough about it, or whether I could actually write with something that small :huh: (and because I thought the pens I was considering were a little more expensive than I wanted to pay -- or thought the condition warranted).

I had completely forgotten about this thread, BTW.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Might be the "Peggy Pen" I mentioned above. The pictures are horrible, I know. From what I've seen, it was made by Salz Bros and often appears as a Peter Pan variant. Mine didn't have markings that identified it (if I remember well, I'll try to look at it later on and may be upload new pics).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a smaller purse sized Treasure brand pen but selling it as I’m paring things down. I know nothing of the brand but the bidding has jumped up nicely.

7D720717-D2E4-4605-BFF0-0428390A0E35.jpeg

8A4ACB6F-953F-4ABF-9D3F-37CE4304AAD2.jpeg

51980D54-B9FF-41C5-A3F8-04B951A85E3F.jpeg

DC9892F4-29B0-4224-B019-6A004919F722.jpeg

8D660E18-7460-4F9D-BC22-089AD541CF63.jpeg

74D89B70-AB8B-4E1A-923C-6BA19CD8EB37.jpeg

710ABCC4-1044-49F0-93BA-89B485A0E6AA.jpeg

F18C539A-965D-46F7-8BFB-1D3E04EC165E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I recently picked up a tiny pen on Ebay. I thought by the pictures it was about the size of an Eversharp purse pen, but I was very surprised to find it was significantly smaller. It's about a quarter inch in diameter and has a pretty smooth nib with some flex. It would be a really nice writer if it wasn't so hard to hold. It's an eyedropper filler, and I'm not sure if it was ever inked before I got it.

Screenshot_20210609-155049.png

IMG_20210609_181047725.jpg