Lamy Ink Window Question

1inkypaw

Hello all. I just picked up a Lamy Vista 1.5mm italic from a pen store, and I noticed the ink window is partially blocked by the grip section. I tried to unscrew it and put it back on again, but the window is still blocked.

I've read a couple of posts about counterfeit Lamys, and how the window does not align properly. Any chance this is a counterfeit? Or do genuine Lamys come with this defect as well?

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dennis_f

• 1inkypaw

• LizEF

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you removed the brown cardboard spacer used during shipping to prevent the cartridge from piercing?

A pic of your pen will be helpful.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sometimes they have a little piece of very thin plastic in the hole where the cut out piece hasn't completely come out after the hole was pierced. That might need to be removed.

I noticed you have a Canadian flag in your signature... If you picked the pen up in a store in well-known/reputable store in Ontario (say Wonderpens, or Laywines, or even Write Impressions) odds are that it's not a counterfeit. Most stores here do a good job of selling authentic versions.

As for the other provinces, I'd suspect the same is also true, especially at the larger stores (Stylo in Quebec and Charals in Vancouver; I'm not as familiar with those markets so I can't list many stores).

D.

Interesting, I'd never noticed this... On my 7 Vistas none of the windows are blocked, don't know if that necessarily means yours is a counterfeit. On the other hand it would be better if Lamy did away with these windows for Vistas, since they are unnecessary in a clear pen and probably makes them dry out faster...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Thanks for all the replies.

Here's a lousy picture of my two Lamy Vistas. It's very hard to notice, but there is a small piece of the grip section showing in the ink window. I put both pens together the same way, and the other one, along with all my other Lamys, don't have this issue. Should I screw it on tighter? I don't want to overdo it and accidentally break something.

P.s. I bought the pen in question from a well-established store, so I think the chance of getting a counterfeit is pretty slim. My concern is, if a genuine Lamy can have this issue, it is no longer an accurate indicator for counterfeits out there.

post-140108-0-79329200-1512878375_thumb.jpg

Fascinating. It does look like it doesn't quite turn far enough to where the arc in the grip section lines up with the top arc of the ink window - like maybe it wasn't threaded perfectly. I wouldn't force it, lest the plastic break or it strip the threads or something. If it's snug, I'd leave it alone.

Try swapping black ring of the two pens. Now If the same problem is seen with the other pen, then probably the black ring is tad thicker than normal and is preventing the barrel from screwing in properly. So if this is the case then just use sandpaper to make the black ring bit thinner. But do this in steps trying fitting the barrel after each step.

Edited by prashant.tikekar

If it's handy to do so, you might just exchange it at the store where you bought it. It seems like this is probably a quality control issue (something to do with the cutting of the threads as LizEF suggests). Who knows, Lamy might even be interested to know that this happened (especially if it's an issue that's been multiplied across a production lot of pens).

Try swapping black ring of the two pens. Now If the same problem is seen with the other pen, then probably the black ring is tad thicker than normal and is preventing the barrel from screwing in properly. So if this is the case then just use sandpaper to make the black ring bit thinner. But do this in steps trying fitting the barrel after each step.

I tried doing that, and it did not solve the problem. I guess there's something wrong with the barrel itself. The ring worked fine on the good pen. Thanks for the suggestion though.

If it's handy to do so, you might just exchange it at the store where you bought it. It seems like this is probably a quality control issue (something to do with the cutting of the threads as LizEF suggests). Who knows, Lamy might even be interested to know that this happened (especially if it's an issue that's been multiplied across a production lot of pens).

I will contact them and see if they will exchange it. It's a good thing to know it can happen. Thankfully it's a vista, so the blockage is not that visible.