B5, Soft Cover, Options?

Nibbler

Hello lovely paper people,

I've been a long term lover of Rhodia. I particularly love the Rhodiarma XL soft cover notebooks, which is (to me) a better version of the Moleskine B5 soft cover book. BUT... they have become very, very expensive. I thought they were dear when I first paid £17 for them, but now (and probably due to weak Sterling etc) they are around £25. The thing is that there seem to be very few options at this size - and it is a size I really love. Soft or hard cover, the only people making this size seem to be Rhodia and Moleskine.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nibbler

• dcwaites

• Bookman

• migo984

Have you considered APICA ?

DAISO even has APICA lookalikes.

Remarkable paper at DAISO prices.

Edited by TMLee

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

B5 seems to be far more common among Japanese paper companies. Apica, Life, Kokuyo, Tsubame, Kyokuto, Maruman and Stalogy are some brands that come to mind that I've seen B5. Sometimes I've seen them on Amazon UK, and also jetpens. Watch for semi B5 vs B5, the dimensions are slightly different. (I don't mind either one)

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

How about Leuchtturm1917 softcover B5 notebooks? The paper is not as good as Rhodia, but still significantly better than moleskine.

Great suggestions - thank you. I was in London today and I've bought a Leuchtturm 1917 B5 soft cover and so far it's doing pretty well. The paper like you say, is not Rhodia, but I do like the layout and the colour of the paper which is a bit whiter than the Rhodia.

More and more I'm appreciating that the writing experience is a combination of pen, ink and paper. Some pens, some inks and some papers seem to go together really well. The whiter paper really makes the colour of the ink sing (can I say that?). Whilst there is a very very tiny bit of bleed, which I don't love as much as the Rhodia, but as you say the paper is very much superior to Moleskine... I've been writing with a TWSBI Eco medium almost exclusively for the last few months, but I might try something else on this paper. Maybe a 51? Also, I've been using a lot of blue black - Shin Kai, Oxford blue and Salix, but this paper is saying 'Souten' and 'Eclat de Sapphire' so I'm going to try some blues...

I'll let you know. I'm going to look at some of the Japanese books.

Thank you

I like the B5 Apica Premium CD

I've just bought one on Amazon - they are 50% off at the moment!

I've just bought one on Amazon - they are 50% off at the moment!

Thanks for the heads-up.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• 4 weeks later...

Apicas are very good, but I’d also suggest the Clairefontaine 1951. Midori has a paper-covered notebook with a cloth spine: I’m a lefty and hate wirebound notebooks so bear that in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I hate wire bound notebooks: they should be banned. I love Midori paper, but it's SO expensive I find it hard to bring myself to write on it!

I have a couple of these --

https://www.postofficeshop.co.uk/softcover-notebooks/black-n-red/black-n-red-soft-cover-b5-notebook-black-400051203/

If you buy 8, you'll even get free delivery.

Edited by dcwaites

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I ordered one of these off Amazon last week, but it was twice the price!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PFWX50A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's the paper like? I'm in the midst of a Leuchtturm which is a bit 'meh' for me. I don't love the paper, it's better than some, but for a medium nib is a little absorbent, it doesn't bleed through mind, so is much better than Moleskine. I haven't tried the Apica yet, which I'm looking forward to.

What's the paper like? I'm in the midst of a Leuchtturm which is a bit 'meh' for me. I don't love the paper, it's better than some, but for a medium nib is a little absorbent, it doesn't bleed through mind, so is much better than Moleskine. I haven't tried the Apica yet, which I'm looking forward to.

Have you tried a TWSBI notebook? The sizes aren’t quite standard but the large one is B5-ish. Cultpens sell them

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/TW28248/twsbi-large-softcover-notebook

Not the cheapest but I find the paper is good with fountain pens. I’m in the U.K. and I’d be happy to send you some sheets from my TWSBI notebook for you to test out. Just send me a PM with your details.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I have not had any problems, and that included wet inks like Noodler's Liberty's Elysium and the scented inks from Blackstone.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching