Montblanc - The Beatles - What Do You Think?

yeepers

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• Tom Kellie

• NicolausPiscator

• desidude02

Is that standard for Mont Blanc to have two themed models concurrently?

It is nowadays. This started a few years ago where writers editions got two models and has spread to other lines. A clever way to increase revenue.

"Clever"?!?

At least not with me!!

I stopped collecting the Montblanc Limited Editions in 2006 because of the increase in too many different LE pens. The massive expansion led me to the conclusion that one can not have AND doesn't have to have a complete collection of all Montblanc LE pens and there are more important things in life than Montblanc.

BTW, Italian company OMAS did the same mistake in increasing their Limited Edition pens around the year 2000 and it was too much for many collectors so they quit with OMAS and we all know what happened to Omas.

From 1991 to 2006 I put any Montblanc LE in my collection from /88 up to the Writers Editions. Since 2007 I just bought 3 new Montblanc LE pens. And I don't feel of missing something. :)

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

The striped color finish grows on you. If you were to say spend 15-20 mins with it, it starts to appeal. It would make a great pen for school, a pool or a garden etc. particularly that it is priced to sell.

~ “Instead of watchin rainbows I'm gonna make me some...

‘Watching Rainbows’ – the Beatles (1969)

It seems that Miontblanc's Hamburg designers have done just that.

The look appeals, as a fun pen, for those times and places where basic black seems drab.

Were it given to me, I'd gladly write with it. The colors remind me of Himalayan prayer flags.

Tom K.

Nope and nope. I think I can definitely live without it.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

It would make a great pen for school, a pool or a garden etc. particularly that it is priced to sell.

Montblanc should include in the package both pool & garden, instead of the traditional, boring ink bootle. :)

"Clever"?!?

At least not with me!!

I stopped collecting the Montblanc Limited Editions in 2006 because of the increase in too many different LE pens. The massive expansion led me to the conclusion that one can not have AND doesn't have to have a complete collection of all Montblanc LE pens and there are more important things in life than Montblanc.

...snip

My brother told me the same thing about collecting LE folding pocket knives... after nearly 400 of them he threw in the towel and quit. "They quit being special, and I felt like they were taking advantage of me."

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Maybe I am in the minority, I don't think that Montblanc's Limited Editions are either overwhelming, nor do they take advantage of us collectors. I for one, look forward every year to what they plan to put out. It's always an exciting time to assess whether these new crop of pens will become part of my collection. In the past few years, the pens were so up my alley that almost all the pens became part of my collection. However this year is not one of them, and I have chosen to NOT get the Beatles (bleah, I cannot get over how cheap and cheery the striped colors look) or the Marilyn (a misogynist version of how to depict a woman, yuk)

It really speaks to our highly consumerist society of always desiring new things. I actually think that companies that don't provide a sense of newness in their range have a real problem of becoming irrelevant. I have since not even bothered to look at Pelikan because, really how many times can you change colors and materials before saying that I really don't need another M800?

Like the Beatles not the pens so probably not.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I think the John Lennon pen is perfect... the vinyle body, guitar neck clip, peace sign on nib.

This new Beatles pen... kind of... to colorful for me, like a wonder bread pen. You have to be really into the beatles.

By the way, the white 1963 pen looks like a post punk Boy George design where he stamped the circle Union Jack on everything.

The mesh microphone top looks very cool, but would look better on a black pen and is sort of wasted on this pen... Maybe on a Johnny Cash - Sinatra pen.

For $3k... I don't get it.... think back to the late 80's early 90's and how many things looked like this design (perhaps to me, I worked in design in NYC)...... maybe collectors buy it, pack it away in their time capsule for their great, great, great grand kids to cash in.

Edited by Andrew-AMID

MB special editions are becoming more gaudy and ghastly as time goes by. So, no.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

My SE rollerball arrived yesterday courtesy of Appelboom - I actually find it a great pen to use. Many very positive comments from patients already. Can't wait for the LE FP :-)

post-30571-0-25574000-1512688386.jpg

post-30571-0-29075100-1512688399.jpg

Montblanc POA Series

My SE rollerball arrived yesterday courtesy of Appelboom - I actually find it a great pen to use. Many very positive comments from patients already. Can't wait for the LE FP :-)

~adelaidepen:

Thank you for showing the Beatles rollerball.

I'm glad that it writes well for you.

If the patients are enjoying it, that's even better.

It's such a cheerful design, isn't it?

Tom K.

Thanks for sharing, adelaidepen. The colours on this look wonderful - and I love the large snowcap.

Unfortunately, the moustache clip doesn't work for me, at all. Makes me think of an upside-down Parker clip.

But, I'm pleased you're enjoying it, that's what it's all about.

Re the OP: It's a no from me.

Enjoy.

I don't know; to me a lot of the recent MB offerings look pretty terrible and they seem to be favouring design over usability. I've started to wonder if they brought in a new set of designers from Jinhao.

Stocks of the Fountain and Ballpoint pens already sold out on the UK Montblanc website.

~ Well done!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316957-whats-your-most-recent-mb-purchase-2017/page-55 Post #1084

pwsuba's images in the above link show a comparison between the Beatles Special Edition fountain pen and two other recent pens.

They're excellent images, showing it's size, colors and design.

It's unsurprising that it's found a market and sold out on the U.K. Montblanc Web site.

Tom K.

While I love the music and the story of the Beatles, this pen series, in all three models, don't do anything for me artistically.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)