Do You Own A Namiki Emperor?

sketchstack

I have an F on the Yukari and an M on the Emperor...

Thanks for all your information. One more question (from me at least):

You own the Conid Kingsize, no? The Kingsize is one of my favorite in-the-hand pens...

How does the Yukari fit in the hand comparatively? Posted vs unposted?

Thanks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• sketchstack

• Mew

• NeverTapOut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Yukari fits the hand exceptionally well. As noted, it is perfectly weighted. I use it unposted (it can post, but the threads come into contact with the urushi, and I don't feel comfortable giving it the necessary shove), but I would say that, because of its length, it is as comfortable and well-balanced as my kingsizes with ebonite/celluloid ends, perhaps more; it is substantially more comfortable than the kingsize pens with titanium ends.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

The Yukari fits the hand exceptionally well. As noted, it is perfectly weighted. I use it unposted (it can post, but the threads come into contact with the urushi, and I don't feel comfortable giving it the necessary shove), but I would say that, because of its length, it is as comfortable and well-balanced as my kingsizes with ebonite/celluloid ends, perhaps more; it is substantially more comfortable than the kingsize pens with titanium ends.

Great, thanks again for your input.

Great, thanks again for your input.

Pleasure. If you do take the plunge, let us know how you find it...

Pleasure. If you do take the plunge, let us know how you find it...

Will do --I've decided to attach this purchase to a specific personal goal which I'll be happy to describe once I achieve said goal. (In conjunction of course with the thoughts on the pen...)

Edited by sketchstack

Will do --I've decided to attach this purchase to a specific personal goal which I'll be happy to describe once I achieve said goal. (In conjunction of course with the thoughts on the pen...)

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

But I DO have a couple cases that can accommodate the Emperor. Ones the Aston 10 pen case. The other is the 4 pen Louis Vuitton case.

Hi Gerigo. Do you have a picture of the LV pen case ? Have never seen one. Is it normally available or did you get it ordered.

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2017 at 3:54 AM, mongrelnomad said:

It's definitely an F. I asked at Itoya for an FM but they only had F, M and B. The F was fine but forgiving, with a great feel. It was not a difficult decision.

I recently forced myself twice into writing exile, trying to make headway on my next novel. Unusually, I only took two pens and two inks: the main writing - all 100 A4 tamoe river pages - was done with the Yukari and Nagasawa 65 (a wonderful red-sheening black ink), with a Conid (filled with Nagasawa 27) on hand for marking-up.

It is an exceptional pen.

Hello, I realize this is an old post, but I was wondering if your F nib on the Yukari Royale was equivalent to a western Fine or skinnier? I have a Broad on mine, and it is the same as a Broad western. As well, how smooth is the Fine?

On 6/3/2021 at 6:21 AM, Stewiesdad said:

Hello, I realize this is an old post, but I was wondering if your F nib on the Yukari Royale was equivalent to a western Fine or skinnier? I have a Broad on mine, and it is the same as a Broad western. As well, how smooth is the Fine?

It's similar to, but slightly finer than, a Western F. 

• 1 month later...

Zaddick...

I often wonder if the Emperor is just too big and go with the Royale. Does anyone say anything if you use it in a group meeting? Also what makes the pen comfortable? Is it weight distribution...the grip? Can you write with it on and off for an entire day? I believe the Royale weighs more because of the brass. 

Thanks for your help.

David

I recently acquired a Namiki Emperor Vermilion No. 50, and it’s definitely the nicest FP that I’ve ever held or seen. It’s size is perfect for my large hands. 

89D03A09-13E0-4363-8BA2-69A337483898.jpeg

On 8/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, NeverTapOut said:

Zaddick...

I often wonder if the Emperor is just too big and go with the Royale. Does anyone say anything if you use it in a group meeting? Also what makes the pen comfortable? Is it weight distribution...the grip? Can you write with it on and off for an entire day? I believe the Royale weighs more because of the brass. 

Thanks for your help.

David

I'm not who you ask, but I own an emperor. I think it is surprisingly comfortable, but too big to use in public without drawing attention (unless you like that sort of thing). I have found that, as much as I like it, I very rarely use it. My yukari royale, however, gets tons of use.

19 hours ago, desgabets said:

I'm not who you ask, but I own an emperor. I think it is surprisingly comfortable, but too big to use in public without drawing attention (unless you like that sort of thing). I have found that, as much as I like it, I very rarely use it. My yukari royale, however, gets tons of use.

Great to hear from someone who owns and uses both.  Does the YR get more use mostly because it attracts less attention when you're writing in public?  Or is it just a little more comfortable overall?  They're about the same weight, if I recall.

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

Great to hear from someone who owns and uses both.  Does the YR get more use mostly because it attracts less attention when you're writing in public?  Or is it just a little more comfortable overall?  They're about the same weight, if I recall.

Personally, I use the Yukari Royale more both because it attracts less attention in public and because I find it to be a more comfortable pen and overall better writer. The Yukari Royale is really the perfect pen in my opinion. I am happy to own an Emperor, but it is more just a very cool collectible thing to own than anything else if I am going to be perfectly honest . I do use it and even currently have it inked, but it is not something I use for serious writing or work.

20 hours ago, JohnM said:

I own both as well. The Emperor is beautiful as an object, but I find it pretty useless as a pen. It's just too huge and unwieldy. The Yukari Royale, however, is pretty much perfect...

I prefer the Emperors for writing with my big chunky hands, pretty much perfect size for me but the Yukari Royale is also truly excellent, and I imagine it is a better fit for most people. I find the Emperors exceptionally comfortable for long writing sessions, and of course being ebonite they are lighter than they look. They take a while to learn, which I ascribe to the distance between your fingers and the tip being much larger than normal, so they don't work as well for finger-based writing and I had to get used to hand and wrist movements - so there is a learning curve depending on your existing technique. I've happily used the black #50 urushi at work many times without it getting much attention at all, but that is why I purchased the black and not the vermillion.

I try really, really hard to stay away of the baseball bats as it would open up another expensive door. Problem is that I once held and wrote with the Pilot Custom Urushi, the smallest in the baseball bat league, and that I did like the nib... Obviously, when the lottery decides it is my time (and, hello? I've been playing long enough now) I will swiftly look for an emperor. But otherwise, no, I stick to the yukari royale, M1000 and king of pens. You can't expand on, or enlarge, what is already perfect.

• 1 month later...

How does the Emperor #50 feel compared to a Montblanc 149?

It seems the grip section is more narrow than the 149.

I could not find a comparison video on youtube.

Thank you for the help.

David

57 minutes ago, NeverTapOut said:

How does the Emperor #50 feel compared to a Montblanc 149?

It seems the grip section is more narrow than the 149.

I could not find a comparison video on youtube.

Thank you for the help.

David

This is a MB 149 (decoration by Bokumondoh) next to an Emperor.  As you can see, the grip section on the Emperor is quite a bit longer.  The section diameter on the 149 is about 13 mm while on the Emperor has more taper, running from 13 mm up to about 15mm

51529038698_5d1fda38ce_c.jpg