Tomoe River Paper: 52 Gsm Vs 68 Gsm?

IndigoBOB

I am a big fan of Tomoe River Paper 52 gsm. I honestly haven't tried 68 gsm because I stocked up on 52 gsm.

I didn't see a comparison thread yet so I thought I'd ask:

Between 52 gsm and 68 gsm Tomoe River Paper, what is your preference and why? Or if you like both, why?

Would like to hear what you think.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoBOB

• Chrissy

• Mew

• Aminah

Copy pasting the same response:

I have extensively used both 52gsm and 68gsm Tomoe River in Cream (don't like white). My observation is that 52gsm is smoother, less absorbent and shows more sheen and shading than 68gsm for the same pen and ink combination. I have completely stopped using 68gsm and switched entirely to 52gsm for this reason.

There are a few notebooks for 52gsm:

Paper for fountain pens - B5 I think

Nanami Seven Seas

Many custom ones who make the journal according to your specifications.

For 68gsm

Taroko

Hippo Noto

I saw the Hippo Noto. Very thick. Irrespective of whether it lies flat or not, you are going to have problem in writing on the first and last 100 pages or so. I wouldn't recommend this. 400 pages of 52gsm are thick enough as it is, 500 of 68gsm is going to be more of a bother. I would use Taroko over it anyday.

• 1 year later...

Not an "expert"; however, as an owner of Hippo Noto 68 gsm and Tarokue (or however you spell it) 52 gsm I am definitely enjoying the 52 much better. Simply because I like the sound. Also, I like the way it handles watercolors. My next test will be to see how it handles preservative. Much of my fp ink is NOT waterproof or resistent.

Not an "expert"; however, as an owner of Hippo Noto 68 gsm and Tarokue (or however you spell it) 52 gsm I am definitely enjoying the 52 much better. Simply because I like the sound. Also, I like the way it handles watercolors. My next test will be to see how it handles preservative. Much of my fp ink is NOT waterproof or resistent.

I prefer 52 gsm over 68 gsm much more.

I like how 52 gsm is smoother with less feedback. It requires less effort to move the pen across the paper.

68 gsm isn't as feedbacky as Nmemosyne, or Kokuyo paper, but I prefer the smoothness of Clairefontaine and 52 gsm TRP.

I also prefer the 52 GSM TR paper. Been so thin it feels so different to most other FP friendly paper.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fond of both but the 52gsm edges it for me, as it's smoother and shows sheen a lot better.