Platinum 3776 Century-Chartres Blue-14K Medium

Aditkamath26

(Disclaimer: This will be a long review of my favorite pen in my current collection. If you want to read just the review, skip to Packaging. Plus, this review is going to be picture heavy.)

Introduction: India is a land of great intellectuals and the longevity of the race to reach the top is pretty staggering. May it be an exam that can decide your future or a Periodic Test in Grade 10, exams play a vital role in a student’s life in India. This holds for Indians living in abroad as well. So, it started with me studying hard for my Periodic Tests 2 and I was really hoping to top and get a pen with my own money as until now, my parents bought me all my pens and I didn’t want them to spend 343 AED (around 90 USD) for a pen. I did top my class and as promised, my parents agreed to buy me the Platinum 3776 Century after much negotiation. They expected me to go for something less expensive. But I had topped so there was no backing off. We ordered the pen late at night and my parents gave me the biggest surprise-they didn’t take a single Dirham from me.

I ordered from J-subculture along with a converter and chose EMS shipping. J-Subculture took around 3 days to ship it and the pen reached me within 12 days. I was overjoyed when I returned from school and found a package from Japan on the table.

Packaging: The pen was well packaged by J-Subculture. As for the pen, it came in a blue faux leather Platinum clamshell case with a white sleeve that my mom threw in the garbage. It contained a user manual, warranty card, and the pen inside a plastic sleeve. The converter came in a simple box. Right of the bat, the converter was a bit rough and I had to grease it with TWSBI silicone grease.

38087034314_4932e34da5.jpg

37916703655_4e67f8a719.jpg

27027715349_e24f982202.jpg

38802618941_522ae8db13.jpg

Pen and Nib Design (9/10): The pen is named 3776 referring to the height in metres of Mt. Fuji in Japan. It sports a classic rounded top cigar shaped design. I wouldn’t go to the extent of calling it Montblanc inspired as I am pretty sure Montblanc hasn’t patented that design. Talking about patents, this pen’s cap houses the patented Slip and Seal mechanism that Platinum advertises can keep your nib from drying for upto 2 years. The threads are all smooth and you can feel the tension of the cap mechanism after about one and a quarter of a turn. The nib is quite plain with some simple engravings. It is pretty flat in design. The pen is also accentuated with some gold-plated rings and a center band that also has some engravings on it. The engraving on it could be better. I love this design unlike many others.

38802606701_9a73719bba.jpg

38802604571_39b1e43144.jpg

24930496268_3d0dc294a1.jpg

37916684625_d2db368696.jpg

Construction and Quality (7/10): This is a place where this pen kind of lacks behind. The pen feels pretty solidly made with some desirable heft to it. The resin also feels pretty durable, but it lacks in finishing. The pen had some scratches and two of them are noticeable when viewed right. Also, it has two seams on the section which isn’t quite troublesome but can be smoothed out. The engraving could also be better.

24930478268_624df05236.jpg

Looks and Comfort (9/10): The Platinum 3776 Century Chartres Blue is made to look like the stained glass windows of the Chartres Cathedral in France. Most of the 3776 Century fountain pens are French themed with the exceptions of some LE’s that are themed after various locations and lakes around Mt. Fuji. The pen looks stunningly beautiful in blue with some transparency. But, there is a but. The pen looks as it is meant to look only in bright indoor light or in sunlight. Otherwise it looks like a very very deep blue, almost black, with almost no transparency. Comfort wise, the pen could be made a bit more thicker and longer. Only then would it be perfect for me. After posting, this doesn’t matter.

24930489018_f37fa494cf.jpg

38086998514_ac01318818.jpg

27027681789_fee9cb4549.jpg

38802577991_ca8f19f3ce.jpg

Filling System (9/10): It is one of my favorite filling systems. A cartridge-converter is one of my favorites because it is easy to clean, disassemble and also to fill. The only disadvantage of Platinum’s proprietary converter is its small ink capacity. Also, as I mentioned, my converter was poorly greased.

Writing Experience (10/10): It is hard to find faults here. The writing experience is stellar. This nib is a champ. The Medium 14 carat gold nib is pretty fine by western standards and writes very smooth with some nice feedback. The ink flow is perfect. This is my kind of nib. I prefer this to overly wet, fat and super smooth nibs. Now I need all the Platinum 3776 century pens with almost all nibs except the Course and the Music. I am not fan of ultra-wide nibs. This nib can be used for various purposes like note taking, daily writing and most importantly long writing sessions with ease.

27027695049_4f4c25d4ca.jpg

24930445608_ef632c902f.jpg

37916652475_ff31f873e0.jpg

38802547111_3a23dde987.jpg

Comparisons: On comparing this pen with the TWSBI Eco and ASA Nauka, the Platinum feels a bit small in the hand and is the second most comfortable out of the three with the ASA bragging the first place. The Platinum easily has the largest nib of the bunch.

38802568291_4c8b3576f0.jpg

23938203527_3474788da3.jpg

38772496452_0a392f89a9.jpg

Conclusion: While this pen is a favorite of mine, it is not without faults. Its construction and finishing could be better, and some minor changes could be done here and there. But these faults won’t stop me from buying the other 3776 Century pens. I need a Bourgogne next as my Chartres Blue needs a companion. Man, I need so many more pens!

23938190847_17fa41d361.jpg

38086972884_cbbb7e771c.jpg

38086972884_cbbb7e771c.jpg

All the photos were taken with a Nikkon D5300 (I'm still learning to take photos this thing) on a windowsill (my favorite place for pen photography) of my 18th floor apartment with abundant sunlight. They have not been edited. Thank you for reading my review. Please leave your suggestions and comments below.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• Mongoosey

• MuddyWaters

• biancitwo

Congratulations on your exam results and your well-chosen reward.

I recently acquired the Lavande with the medium nib, and although I expected a finer line, I love the way the pen writes. Being a woman with small hands, I wouldn't want the pen to be any larger.

As for the converter, having had other Platinum converters, I don't expect it to be very hardy. Granted that converters are inexpensive, I would be happy to pay a bit more for a better converter.

Thanks for a great review! I really like all of your clear pictures - they really provide a good view of this beautiful pen. I wonder if you could shoot a photo where you can see how the pen looks like with less light?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Nice review. My Chartres Blue has a music nib but my Bourgogne has a medium nib and I too find mine near perfect.

Thank you very much!

Congratulations on your exam results and your well-chosen reward.

I recently acquired the Lavande with the medium nib, and although I expected a finer line, I love the way the pen writes. Being a woman with small hands, I wouldn't want the pen to be any larger.

As for the converter, having had other Platinum converters, I don't expect it to be very hardy. Granted that converters are inexpensive, I would be happy to pay a bit more for a better converter.

Thank you very much. The converters could be made better. I would like the Lavande but I am not a fan of rose gold trim. They should release a rhodium version for it.

Thanks for a great review! I really like all of your clear pictures - they really provide a good view of this beautiful pen. I wonder if you could shoot a photo where you can see how the pen looks like with less light?

Erick

Thanks a lot. I will surely see what I can do about the photo.

I too love my Platinum Burgandy Pen SFine nib. It is an add to my Japanise Pens. I am expecting to add another pen from platinum with M tip.

I too love my Platinum Burgandy Pen SFine nib. It is an add to my Japanise Pens. I am expecting to add another pen from platinum with M tip.

I have two Platinum pens with medium nibs. The Platinum Balance medium writes a line comparable to what my western fine points produce. The Platinum 3776 medium writes a much wider line, comparable to the line produced by a Waterman or Lamy medium point.

Close your eyes and go for it!

Nice review - and nice pictures. I rather like the fact that the pen is black except in the light - it's a stealth thing; people think I've got a boring black pen, but I know better! The bourgogne/burgundy is very similar in effect. I sometimes sit spinning them into the ray of light from the desk lamp and out again just to watch the material come to life. Whole minutes can pass like that when I iought to be doing some work....

Congrats on your exam results. I hope the Platinum 3776 will help you continue your string of successes!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

I have two Platinum pens with medium nibs. The Platinum Balance medium writes a line comparable to what my western fine points produce. The Platinum 3776 medium writes a much wider line, comparable to the line produced by a Waterman or Lamy medium point.

I would not actually go to the extent of comparing it with Lamy and Waterman medium. I will try to post s comparison photo.

Nice review - and nice pictures. I rather like the fact that the pen is black except in the light - it's a stealth thing; people think I've got a boring black pen, but I know better! The bourgogne/burgundy is very similar in effect. I sometimes sit spinning them into the ray of light from the desk lamp and out again just to watch the material come to life. Whole minutes can pass like that when I iought to be doing some work....

Congrats on your exam results. I hope the Platinum 3776 will help you continue your string of successes!

Thank you very much! Well thats another way to look at it. I will surely buy the Bourgogne sometime in my life.

Great review, nice photos. I've long had this model in my sights but can't stomach the way higher price (almost twice) for the rhodium versions (at least on US ebay), plus one of my cheaper Platinum Cool has always had problems, which doesn't inspire confidence in the brand. Too bad!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I have mixed feelings about these pens. I found nothing wrong with the engravings/finish, but they feel really cheap to me, a Lamy Safari feels more solid and durable. I have two 3776's, both had misaligned tines, my second pen was pretty bad when I got it. I did manage to adjust them so now they write ok.

Personally I love the looks of these pens, especially the nibs look fantastic. They're not as smooth (nor wet) writers as my other pens, but they're different, in a good way. I like the screw cap and c/c filling system. A comfortable writer with consistent ink flow :thumbup:

In my opinion these pens are a bit overpriced, even when bought from eBay. I guess they're not overpriced enough, though, as I'm now looking at Platinum #3776 Century Nice models... :lol:

Thanks for the review. I am thinking of buying the Century Bourgogne and this will help me decide.

I also want to commend you on your handwriting. It's one of the nicest examples I have seen. I saved one of your photos just for that reason.

One test is worth a thousand opinions.

Great review, nice photos. I've long had this model in my sights but can't stomach the way higher price (almost twice) for the rhodium versions (at least on US ebay), plus one of my cheaper Platinum Cool has always had problems, which doesn't inspire confidence in the brand. Too bad!

Thank you! Buy them from J Subculture. 83 shipped via EMS without any problems. I cannot for the love of my life figure out any valid reason as to why pen companies charge more for plating with rhodium, ruthenium, rose gold etc. Its the same electro-plating process as gold (to the best of my knowledge). They should learn from Aurora. They charge lesser for their chrome trim.

I have mixed feelings about these pens. I found nothing wrong with the engravings/finish, but they feel really cheap to me, a Lamy Safari feels more solid and durable. I have two 3776's, both had misaligned tines, my second pen was pretty bad when I got it. I did manage to adjust them so now they write ok.

Personally I love the looks of these pens, especially the nibs look fantastic. They're not as smooth (nor wet) writers as my other pens, but they're different, in a good way. I like the screw cap and c/c filling system. A comfortable writer with consistent ink flow :thumbup:

In my opinion these pens are a bit overpriced, even when bought from eBay. I guess they're not overpriced enough, though, as I'm now looking at Platinum #3776 Century Nice models... :lol:

Well I cannot change your opinion but I would say that the resin does feel a bit brittle-ish. I think its all about the wonderful nib here.

Thanks for the review. I am thinking of buying the Century Bourgogne and this will help me decide.

I also want to commend you on your handwriting. It's one of the nicest examples I have seen. I saved one of your photos just for that reason.

Thank you very much! I am very much honored to know that you like my handwriting.

Thank you! A brilliant review, and lovely pictures - looking forward to seeing more from you! - - The Pen Boffin

www.thepenboffin.wordpress.com

Thank you! Sure, I will try my best to give quality reviews here.