Platinum 3776 Century-Chartres Blue-14K Medium

Aditkamath26

Well I cannot change your opinion but I would say that the resin does feel a bit brittle-ish. I think its all about the wonderful nib here.

Brittleish sounds about right, heh. I'm not too scared of the resin developing any cracks, though. It just feels slightly cheaper than what I expected.

That's pretty much the only real negative thing I can think of. And well, in my case, both nibs were misaligned. But other than that, a really beautiful and reliable pen! One of my absolute favorites.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• Mongoosey

• MuddyWaters

• biancitwo

Nice review, thanks!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thank you! Buy them from J Subculture. 83 shipped via EMS without any problems. I cannot for the love of my life figure out any valid reason as to why pen companies charge more for plating with rhodium, ruthenium, rose gold etc. Its the same electro-plating process as gold (to the best of my knowledge). They should learn from Aurora. They charge lesser for their chrome trim.

You're right! And I've bought from them before, with zero issues.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

congrats on your new platinum. the nib is very nice and i too enjoy the performance of my 3776.

Thanks. Glad to know many people have the same experience as me.

Firstly, congratulations and wish you many more success.

Pictures are awesome and very well taken.

Right pen for celebration. Am glad Nauka, still retains first spot w.r.t. Comfort..

Firstly, congratulations and wish you many more success.

Pictures are awesome and very well taken.

Right pen for celebration. Am glad Nauka, still retains first spot w.r.t. Comfort..

Thank you Mr Subramanium!

• 2 weeks later...

Love my Platinum Chartres. Wish that Platinum cartridges were better -- if you don't use them quickly they dry into nothingness-- but the converter means the pen remains usable.

• 1 year later...

Great Review!

I had a Question:

Does anyone know how well the Platinum 3776 works with Sailor Kiwa-Guro?

I have three Platinum 3776s, two Chartres Blues and a Bourgogne. The SF is very very fine and used sparingly. The B, made CI by Pendleton Brown, writes beautifully and is used regularly. The unmodified B writes very well and is used regularly. I certainly have better and more expensive pens, but I have none which deliver as much for less money. 3776s make a significant contribution to the quality of anyone’s collection, without requiring much money.

Great Review!

I had a Question:

Does anyone know how well the Platinum 3776 works with Sailor Kiwa-Guro?

Thanks for the review! I have a 3776 Century Chartres Blue as well, though in a F nib. No complaints whatsoever, and I really enjoy using it.

I also LOVE my Platinum 5000A 14K F nib - though it's probably a little small for many other users, it is just right for me, and a wonderful writer.

I have a question about the 3776. When trying it at the store a few times, I noticed that the nib is completely straight and that there is no subtle downward curvature of the nib tip toward the page. When trying it, it made me want the nib to curve down toward the page a little bit as it feels the nib is too far from the paper when holding it in a natural shallow angle position.

I checked my other pens, and they do have a gentle curvature toward the page (some of them, including my Faber Castell e-motion). Has this been a disturbance to anyone?

I have a question about the 3776. When trying it at the store a few times, I noticed that the nib is completely straight and that there is no subtle downward curvature of the nib tip toward the page. When trying it, it made me want the nib to curve down toward the page a little bit as it feels the nib is too far from the paper when holding it in a natural shallow angle position.

I checked my other pens, and they do have a gentle curvature toward the page (some of them, including my Faber Castell e-motion). Has this been a disturbance to anyone?

I've been using the pen for quite some time now and this has never been an issue.

I have three Platinums and two Nakaya. Their nibs are quite similar. They are all excellent. The nibs are not “completely straight” from rear of nib to tip. They are quite straight from shoulder to shoulder. The arc from rear to tip is similar to other nibs. Regardless, these nibs are excellent.

my UEF just flaked off a big chunk of the tipping. It's 14 months old, so hopefully platinum will warranty it.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Very nice review!

It might be just my monitor, but something I can advise as an amateur photographer for your shooting with your Nikon is to try and find the best white balance profile to shoot indoors, near your window. The last 3 photos in particular where slightly bluish-coloured in my perspective. It will most likely be "Cloudy" or Shade", although "Shade" usually gives quite the yellow colouring.

If you shoot in Raw, you can edit most of the general settings in Nikon's free software View NX-D. Such editing can be done with little to almost no impact to overall picture quality, depending on how extreme the adjustments are. I use an older version, NX-2, which is compatible with the photos I took with my long gone Nikon D5000 and is good enough for my needs.

Still in relation to White Balance, your camera certainly has the option allowing you to set a custom white balance preset. It usually envolves shooting a blank paper illuminated by the light you will be using to shoot your desired subject/object.

AFAIK, this is probably the most accurate way of hitting near-perfect white balance, as long as lighting conditions do not change over time, as it may happen, for instance, during sunset.

White balance makes all the difference in overall mood and colouring of photos. :D

Back to topic, I am eyeing the Century 3376 Bourgogne and a Pelikan M205. It is hard to decide... But I am now considering a third alternative - skipping both and save in order to purchase Pilot Custom 823 in one or two year's time. First world problems, no doubt xD

P. S.: You will also find - if you haven't already - that Aperture-Priority mode combined with adjustments through exposure compension makes for a very easy and quick way to have control of how much lighting you would like in your pictures without wasting too much time in other, sometimes slower modes (for instance, Manual mode).

Edited by Iur

Very nice review!

It might be just my monitor, but something I can advise as an amateur photographer for your shooting with your Nikon is to try and find the best white balance profile to shoot indoors, near your window. The last 3 photos in particular where slightly bluish-coloured in my perspective. It will most likely be "Cloudy" or Shade", although "Shade" usually gives quite the yellow colouring.

If you shoot in Raw, you can edit most of the general settings in Nikon's free software View NX-D. Such editing can be done with little to almost no impact to overall picture quality, depending on how extreme the adjustments are. I use an older version, NX-2, which is compatible with the photos I took with my long gone Nikon D5000 and is good enough for my needs.

Still in relation to White Balance, your camera certainly has the option allowing you to set a custom white balance preset. It usually envolves shooting a blank paper illuminated by the light you will be using to shoot your desired subject/object.

AFAIK, this is probably the most accurate way of hitting near-perfect white balance, as long as lighting conditions do not change over time, as it may happen, for instance, during sunset.

White balance makes all the difference in overall mood and colouring of photos. :D

Back to topic, I am eyeing the Century 3376 Bourgogne and a Pelikan M205. It is hard to decide... But I am now considering a third alternative - skipping both and save in order to purchase Pilot Custom 823 in one or two year's time. First world problems, no doubt xD

P. S.: You will also find - if you haven't already - that Aperture-Priority mode combined with adjustments through exposure compension makes for a very easy and quick way to have control of how much lighting you would like in your pictures without wasting too much time in other, sometimes slower modes (for instance, Manual mode).

I wanted to love the Pelikan m205. It's a great pen, but I personally didn't like the step down from the body to the piston knob. It's not bad if you hold the pen vertical, but I hold my pen more horizontal in the web under my knuckle where the step down made its presence known : (

I loved the 823 form-factor/shape, but I found it too heavy... So I have the 743 on my list.

My 3776-M is on the way. I loved the Pilot 74/91, but it felt a bit too small for longer writing sessions, and I needed that larger nib with a good accompanying section.

I wanted to love the Pelikan m205. It's a great pen, but I personally didn't like the step down from the body to the piston knob. It's not bad if you hold the pen vertical, but I hold my pen more horizontal in the web under my knuckle where the step down made its presence known : (

I loved the 823 form-factor/shape, but I found it too heavy... So I have the 743 on my list.

My 3776-M is on the way. I loved the Pilot 74/91, but it felt a bit too small for longer writing sessions, and I needed that larger nib with a good accompanying section.

We need more ergonomically attuned people like you :P

We need more ergonomically attuned people like you :P

lol I have a stubborn writing hand: It has part of my mind of it's own ; )