Parker Vacumatic (Faceted!), I Hadn't Get Any Information About It.

JorgeLpzLmg

Hi!!

Two days ago I bougth at Mexico city (where I live) a faceted fountain pen, wich looks as a Parker Vacumatic oversize.

I was searching in the web in orden to confirm if it is an authentic Parker, but I didn't get any information or images about faceted Parkers.

The pen description is:

Barrel engraved: "Parker Vacumatic USA" (the "V" is engraved on the "R")

Long with cap: 13.5 centimeters (5 1/4")

Barrel diameter: 1.6 centimeters (5/8")

Color: Borgoña

Faceted barrel and cap

Apparently, the original nib was replaced with a "Harley Davidson" nib (!!!).

Can you help me to confirm if it is an authentic Parker?

If it's an authentic pen, what is the correct nib for it?

I'm attaching some pictures.

Thanks!

Jorge.

post-140203-0-97868200-1512060291.jpg

post-140203-0-66765500-1512060304.jpg

post-140203-0-12680600-1512060326.jpg

post-140203-0-12278400-1512060577.jpg

post-140203-0-42836100-1512060591.jpg

post-140203-0-35234700-1512060603.jpg

post-140203-0-15610500-1512060619.jpg

post-140203-0-92721800-1512060628.jpg

post-140203-0-87870200-1512060642.jpg

post-140203-0-55597100-1512060655.jpg

post-140203-0-52530900-1512060664.jpg

post-140203-0-80075100-1512060675.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JorgeLpzLmg

• Ron Z

• Azuniga

• ralfstc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that's cool! I'm going to go out on a limb (why not?) and say on the basis of the facets and the dodgy imprint that it may not be original Parker. But, quite a lot of things look right, so I wonder if it might be a customized vac? The cap fitting seems strange, though, in that the circular section usually fits inside the cap, so I'm not sure why it would have to be relieved so deeply.

In any case, a really interesting find. But please, replace the nib. Oh, and the feed perhaps?

Ralf

ps. Many more knowledgeable people will be here soon, and I defer to their genius.

Edited by ralfstc

Hi Ralf!

Thanks.

The pen looks beauty (except for the nib).

Too, I tough it could be a customized pen...

Some details you point make me think it is not an authentic Parker. But I feel it' has a high quality manufacturing, so...

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy it.

Best regards,

Jorge.

I'm inclined to put it down as a very nice knock-off. There are some rather good knock-offs of the Vacumatic, especially from Italy. They copied the celluloid, clip, and other things quite nicely, and they are often decent pens. But there is often a different feel to the celluloid on copies. While they can be nice, but the quality isn't there. For instance the plastic is often thinner. Once you know the genuine article, when you see the copy in person, you can instantly spot the difference. Its harder from a picture.

Though very nice, there are a number of things that don't look right. The nib is from a modern Waterman Harley Davidson pen. I can't see the feed, but that could be a clue. The clip doesn't look quite right (too long and pointy), and celluloid of the blind cap is off - the lines are usually a bit more horizontal than that at the end of the barrel. I have never seen a faceted barrel on a Parker outside of the Parkettes, and I've never seen a step in the barrel like that on a Vacumatic or any other better Parker come to think of it. The Duotone may be an exception, but that was cheap injection molded plastic. Knock-offs often don't get the jewels right, and are often made to different dimensions and cheap plastic.

Is it a vacumatic filler, or is that a button at the end? It would be interesting to remove the filler and see what it looks like. Copies rarely make, or make good copies of, the Vacumatic filler system. The design is often a bit different, and the materials used cheaper metal and/or thinner, or are totally different inside.

Pretty pen though, and one that would be fun to use.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I have a couple of them and the only place i have seen them is in Mexico, it is most probably a local copy of a Parker Vacumatic.

Some time ago there was a thread on the Spanish forum about them and you can find some images there including those I have...

http://estilograficas.mforos.com/2126518/12921427-sabian-que-existieron-replicas-antiguas-de-paker-vacumatic/

Most of those i have seen were made for a Jewellery downtown Mexico City.

I hope the quoted thread will be of some help...

Hi Ron!

You're right.

I feel the pen "different" to other celluloid pens.

The filling system works as a Vacumatic filler system.

Best regards.

Jorge.

Hi AZuniga!

Very interesting the information you are sharing.

The "Vacumatics" you show in the Foro de Estilográficas are almost identical to the one I bought, except for the section.

I use to visit the same markets that you mention. At La Lagunilla I got a beauty Sheaffer Leather Touch, and an old Pelikan Souveran Tortoise engraved "Demostrator", but I don't bougth this one because it hasn't the end of the cap.

Well, the pen is nice, I`m replacing the Harley nib for a better.

Best regards,

Jorge

I'm inclined to put it down as a very nice knock-off. There are some rather good knock-offs of the Vacumatic, especially from Italy. They copied the celluloid, clip, and other things quite nicely, and they are often decent pens. But there is often a different feel to the celluloid on copies. While they can be nice, but the quality isn't there. For instance the plastic is often thinner. Once you know the genuine article, when you see the copy in person, you can instantly spot the difference. Its harder from a picture.

Though very nice, there are a number of things that don't look right. The nib is from a modern Waterman Harley Davidson pen. I can't see the feed, but that could be a clue. The clip doesn't look quite right (too long and pointy), and celluloid of the blind cap is off - the lines are usually a bit more horizontal than that at the end of the barrel. I have never seen a faceted barrel on a Parker outside of the Parkettes, and I've never seen a step in the barrel like that on a Vacumatic or any other better Parker come to think of it. The Duotone may be an exception, but that was cheap injection molded plastic. Knock-offs often don't get the jewels right, and are often made to different dimensions and cheap plastic.

Is it a vacumatic filler, or is that a button at the end? It would be interesting to remove the filler and see what it looks like. Copies rarely make, or make good copies of, the Vacumatic filler system. The design is often a bit different, and the materials used cheaper metal and/or thinner, or are totally different inside.

Ron, I agree with your comments about Italian copies of vacumatic in Italy in the 40's, but I don't think this is the case.

This kind of celluloid was common in Italian pens of that period, b8t the faceted body and how this have been turned to round where the cap screw in to the body, are not typical of that production.

Also the inscription in the body of the pen is too nicely done to be an Italian pen of that period.

The cap, the club and the 3 rings are also very nice, and it do not resemble to me anything of Italian.

Post it on the Parker sub foum, and hope Farmboy looks at it.

If anyone, he should know something.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Once Parker carried some serious weight. Returning GI's from Italy, had their duffle bags searched before getting on the ship home, to make sure they didn't have any counterfeit Parkers which were confiscated.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ron, I agree with your comments about Italian copies of vacumatic in Italy in the 40's, but I don't think this is the case.

This kind of celluloid was common in Italian pens of that period, b8t the faceted body and how this have been turned to round where the cap screw in to the body, are not typical of that production.

Also the inscription in the body of the pen is too nicely done to be an Italian pen of that period.

The cap, the club and the 3 rings are also very nice, and it do not resemble to me anything of Italian.

Hi!

Thanks!

Your information it's very interesting.

A member in the forum showed some similar pens (http://estilografica...aker-vacumatic/ ), but the pens he shoed has not a section, so the feed screws directly on to the barrel.

Thanks!

Jorge.

Post it on the Parker sub foum, and hope Farmboy looks at it.

If anyone, he should know something.

Hi!

Thanks.

I did it.

I hope Farmboy gives an opinion.

Jorge

Once Parker carried some serious weight. Returning GI's from Italy, had their duffle bags searched before getting on the ship home, to make sure they didn't have any counterfeit Parkers which were confiscated.

Hi!

It gives to the pen an interesting value... if the pen came America with a G.I.

Thanks.

Jorge

Hi Ron!

You're right.

I feel the pen "different" to other celluloid pens.

The filling system works as a Vacumatic filler system.

Best regards.

Jorge.

I have a couple of them and the only place i have seen them is in Mexico, it is most probably a local copy of a Parker Vacumatic.

Some time ago there was a thread on the Spanish forum about them and you can find some images there including those I have...

http://estilograficas.mforos.com/2126518/12921427-sabian-que-existieron-replicas-antiguas-de-paker-vacumatic/

Most of those i have seen were made for a Jewellery downtown Mexico City.

I hope the quoted thread will be of some help...

Hi AZuniga!

Very interesting the information you are sharing.

The "Vacumatics" you show in the Foro de Estilográficas are almost identical to the one I bought, except for the section.

I use to visit the same markets that you mention. At La Lagunilla I got a beauty Sheaffer Leather Touch, and an old Pelikan Souveran Tortoise engraved "Demostrator", but I don't bougth this one because it hasn't the end of the cap.

Well, the pen is nice, I`m replacing the Harley nib for a better.

Best regards,

Jorge

Sorry, I didn't intend to suggest that the pen was Italian. That was more of an example.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Hi!

Thanks!

Your information it's very interesting.

A member in the forum showed some similar pens (http://estilografica...aker-vacumatic/ ), but the pens he shoed has not a section, so the feed screws directly on to the barrel.

Thanks!

Jorge.

I had not come back to the forum and now I read with some surprise that the pens I showed in the Spanish forum ‘have no sections and the feed and nib go directly to the barrel”, that is not the case.

They both have a section.

The green one is an Eyedropper and the red one is a PBF, here some images

fpn_1512484770__v1.jpg

fpn_1512484801__v2.jpg

Edited by Azuniga

Hi!

Yes, you'r right, I'was wrong.

I don't watched your pens with care. The sections in both pens are made with the same material than the barrels and the caps.

The rings follow the faceted form of the cap.

The nib marked La Perfecta it's very interesting and has a great historical worth.

Best regards.

Jorge.

I had not come back to the forum and now I read with some surprise that the pens I showed in the Spanish forum ‘have no sections and the feed and nib go directly to the barrel”, that is not the case.

They both have a section.

The green one is an Eyedropper and the red one is a PBF, here some images

fpn_1512484770__v1.jpg

fpn_1512484801__v2.jpg

Interesting pens. Well there were (legit Parker) Vacumatics with sections made of the same material as used in the barrel and cap.

Khan M. Ilyas