Looking For A Replacement For Noodlers Ottoman Azure

Bill Wood

Hi all - I'm looking for a nice replacement for Ottoman Azure Blue. Must have got a bad bottle because I ended up with a navy - loved that color. The Diamine Azure is just a little too turquoise - there might be something in the Kobe - Bungbox - or Robert Oster I haven't found yet. My search will continue.

Thanks in advance for all for the incoming suggestions.

-Bill-

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Wood

• lapis

• Olya

• amberleadavis

My bottle of Ottoman Azure had a lot of teal undertones to it. So have a look at Diamine Oxford Blue. If your batch was more "navy", though, you might want to look at blue-blacks as well as dark blues: Edelstein Tanzanite is a blue-black that *doesn't* lean teal, so that might be right up your alley.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Ottoman Azure is also THE most saturated ink I've ever encountered -- I kept refilling the pen with distilled water, and it didn't start looking diluted until about the 3rd or 4th time I did that....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks Olya - I tried it and it was a little too turquoise for me. The closest (according to Goulet swabs) was the Visconti Blue. Not sure about the saturation of Visconti though.

Thanks Olya - I tried it and it was a little too turquoise for me. The closest (according to Goulet swabs) was the Visconti Blue. Not sure about the saturation of Visconti though.

You're welcome!

I thought so too (going by pics only, I have the Asa though and love it), but maybe mixing it would get you the desired result..

I prefer to have "perfect" colours as is, so I can just buy what I want, but mixing can be fun and result in wonderful ink colours and when the perfect hue doesn't quite exist, that might be a worthy venture to try!

FWIW....

fpn_1511822588__7_blues.jpg

Well I don't think this might help much, but it may enable you to at least forget 2 or 3 of the above-mentioned goodies. Swabs are also sometimes useless but these are all on one type of paper (Rhodia) and altogether from one scanner/printer. I don't have the Oxford Blue yet but then still thought I could chuck in a couple of common, saturated dark blues. Lots of luck on your further searching!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hi,

NOA was included in my One of the Ten series : summary https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/196998-one-of-the-ten-blue-inks/?p=1997029

Which was carried forward in my 11 to 20 series : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/212759-11-2-20-blue-inks/?p=2222513

At first look NOA didn't strike me as all too appealing, perhaps I was expecting a more 'true' Blue. But over time it has become a favourite not-quite-Blue.

Personally, I would look to the Japanese inks, but NOA has that certain something something, so finding a match could be tricky business.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Will have to look at Diamine Majestic Blue, diluted to the appropriate level...

Perhaps also Akkerman #5 Shocking Blue???

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Wow, now that was a good-looking comparison. What an offer!

I love Ottoman Azure. Then I tried Pilot Blue Black and have not ventured from it. Thanks for the color comparisons Chrissy. Simply awesome!

I love Ottoman Azure. Then I tried Pilot Blue Black and have not ventured from it. Thanks for the color comparisons Chrissy. Simply awesome!

Okay, okay, I overlooked that (Pilot Blue Black)... but their Blue is even closer.... Scroll down, please....fpn_1512058335__9_blues.jpg

Any specific reason why you need a replacement?.. I mean, I am not aware Nooodler's Ottoman Azure is a hard to find ink.

C.

Hi all - I'm looking for a nice replacement for Ottoman Azure Blue. Must have got a bad bottle because I ended up with a navy - loved that color. The Diamine Azure is just a little too turquoise - there might be something in the Kobe - Bungbox - or Robert Oster I haven't found yet. My search will continue.

Thanks in advance for all for the incoming suggestions.

-Bill-

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Any specific reason why you need a replacement?.. I mean, I am not aware Nooodler's Ottoman Azure is a hard to find ink.

C.

Thanks Cyber6, I just got a bad bottle. I've been striking out with Noodlers lately. Ottoman this week, and Nightshade a month ago. I was warned about the QC. I'll give it one more go and see what happens. Thanks everyone. Great blues there Chrissy.

My bottle of Ottoman Azure is a dark teal rather than azure blue. It looks more like a mislabeled bottle of Squeteague. I now favor other brands over Noodlers due to these QC and consistency issues.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

• 4 weeks later...

Don't forget to check out the blue thread *see link in signature below.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Sir, may I make a few suggestions for your need of blue?

Noodler's Ottoman Azure is one of my favourite blues, not because that I am Turkish :) but because I love saturated dark blues, but not too dark to be navy, and no greenish undertones like Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo, but maybe a little bit of red undertones to relieve it from being boring and unnoticeable on paper, but not too much red undertones which make it too shiny and not proper for workplace.

I've used most of the inks talked above. Noodler's Ottoman Azure is a very one-of-a-kind blue, it is hard to find its replacement. It is a saturated blue with little bit of red undertones, and nearly zero green hues, but it is not too dark to be called "navy", and yeah just like I like: mostly pure blue.

Let me summarize some alternatives mentioned or not mentioned above, depending on my own experiences:

Diamine Prussian Grey: No way, too greyish, too dull

Visconti Blue: Too bright, too much red undertones (so is Omas Blue)

Private Reserve Electric DC Blue: Too dark, too much red undertones

Diamine Blue Velvet, Diamine Sargasso Sea: Too much red undertones, brighter than desired

Akkerman Shocking Blue: Darker and Brighter than desired

Diamine Cult Pens Deep Dark Blue: Too dark, in fact darkest blue I have ever seen after Diamine Regency Blue

Montblanc Royal Blue: Too pale

Waterman Serenity Blue: Too unsaturated, pale

Pilot Blue: Too pale

Diamine Mediterrenian: Too light

Diamine Presidential: Not dark enough

Diamine Oxford: Too dark, too dull

Kaweco Blue: Too purplish, a bit dull

Iroshizuku Tsuyu-Kusa: Not dark enough

Iroshizuku Asa-Gao: Too much red undertones

Edelstein Sapphire: Incredibly bright, too much red undertones

J. Herbin 1670 Blue Ocean: Too much red undertones

Sailor Blue Black: Not dark enough

Diamine Midnight: Too dark

GvFC Cobalt: Too pale, boring

Diamine Tchaikovsky: Too dark, too much red undertones

Iroshizuku Kon-Peki: Too turquoise

Edelstein Topaz: Too turquoise

Aurora Blue: Too pale

Sailor nioi-sumire: Too much red undertones

J.Herbin Bleu Nuit: Too pale

Well my best advice is not a very original idea, but it is your best shot: Diamine Majestic Blue.

It has nearly same blueness, but it has a bit more red undertones, but absolutely no green undertones; a mostly blue, saturated, not-navy ink.

Try it in a non-Japanese pen, because their feeding parts' ink channels tend to clog more easily than their Western counterparts when faced with one of the most saturated inks on the world like Majestic Blue.

Best regards.

Edited by tursilmatik

• 2 weeks later...