Penbbs 308

inkeverywhere

Came across Penbbs 308 on Ebay yesterday, while it passes the "eye candy" test admirably it is a brand I know nothing about. There is very little information on this pen or brand, I see the brand mentioned in Ian's "Chinese pen show and tell" a little but not much else.

I like a fine nib pen which this 308 is being sold as, but wonder about the advantages of the slightly up turned nib.

Being relatively expensive for a Chinese pen, about $33 Australian, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular model. I have also found the pen on a site called Taobao, on this site there is a greater colour range than Ebay, any feedback on buying from Taobao would alone be greatly appreciated.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Mech-for-i

• Drone

• DasKaltblut

You can buy directly from PenBBS themselves on TaoBao , and the official TaoBao also support fright to Australia ( both direct or forwarding; consign & consolidated shipping ); if you use TaoBao, and type in the typical .com address, you will be redirected to the World.TaoBao domain where there is English version of the site and mean for oversea customers.

As for the Model 308 , well I can have only good thing to say about it, its a high quality, well thought out design; the material used are gorgeous and the craftsmanship is up there with anyone. And for the nib, well it write decent and perform like a miniature Fude ( if you know how to employ the technique ) or if you write cursive ( like a dip pen ) then it perform more like a miniature Architect which laid down a F on down stroke, and M on the cross stroke. If you write relatively angled in a more vertical manner, then its just a fine. Since having the pen I am feeling very satisfied by its performance. Just as any Chinese nibs goes, there is positive feedback which is a dictated character required for writing the language, but some who are into writing cursive Latin based language might or might not find this a factor; one way or the other. Its a smooth kind of writing still, just not like skating on ice. As TruthPil had already tested, the nib can be easily swap for any No.6 and since the barrel / section connection had no metal fitting while having O ring and fine thread, that leave ED conversion possible due to the single piece barrel ( and many had done it already ).

And before checking out the Model 308, you might want to check the Chinese pen and show thread again, I had shown the news about them going to release their next one, model 309, and already they have also model 323, and 267 ..

You can buy directly from PenBBS themselves on TaoBao , and the official TaoBao also support fright to Australia ( both direct or forwarding; consign & consolidated shipping ); if you use TaoBao, and type in the typical .com address, you will be redirected to the World.TaoBao domain where there is English version of the site and mean for oversea customers.

How do I get to the English site? I only see Chinese characters.

Oh I get to take a look, so obviously they took off the translation / language menu bar selection button already in the recent edition of the web site. it used to be there , but its just using customized Google translation engine; so instead just use Chrome and had the browser do the translation for you ( under language setting ) ...

:bawl: Sorry for causing all the trouble, my fault, should have check it first before :notworthy1:

Edited by Mech-for-i

Oh I get to take a look, so obviously they took off the translation / language menu bar selection button already in the recent edition of the web site. it used to be there , but its just using customized Google translation engine; so instead just use Chrome and had the browser do the translation for you ( under language setting ) ...

:bawl: Sorry for causing all the trouble, my fault, should have check it first before :notworthy1:

You're absolved :)

Thank you for your response Mech-for-i, I had seen your piece in Chinese pen show and tell on newer models, I find that topic to be arguably the best on the FPN. Although the new models do look interesting I find the 308 "looks" a far more desirable pen to me. I am of the humble opinion an Edison Collier in Persimmon Swirl is one of the most stunning looking pens I have ever seen, the 308 reminds me of that style.

I am also to assume you recommend Taobao as a reputable site to buy from. I also see Ian mentions purchases from Taobao in some of his posts.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I would say take the same caution as you would using TaoBao as you would with say eBay, or Etsy, or many of the other major retail site ... the site is reputable but the sellers varies. of course there are many good seller there but equally there are people out there just trying to get a kill ; shop around and be informed. I can buy TaoBao easily cause I do read and write ( and speak ) the language, and of course for buying Chinese fountain pens that is certainly one of the more varied source.

PENBBS is a brand founded by "Chinese fountain pen network"(It just like "FPN".But It is a website created by Chinese).It sells for 68 Chinese Yuan(About 10 US Dollar) in China.It is more cheep than Hero 100.I have a PENBBS 308.But I don't know how to post image here. :mellow:

Xianchem,

if you look at the upper part of the forum, you have a button UPLOAD. You click there and upload your photo. When it is done, you copy the BBcode line, and past it here.

I hope I could help you.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Xianchem,

if you look at the upper part of the forum, you have a button UPLOAD. You click there and upload your photo. When it is done, you copy the BBcode line, and past it here.

I hope I could help you.

Thank you.I'll try it. :D

Has anyone found this pen too write too dryly? With the stock nib, I've found that I can barely even get it to write unless I apply slight pressure.

I've tried a couple inks and the problem was the same. As is, my stock nib is basically unusable on cheap paper because of insane skipping.

Has anyone with the 308 needed to open the tines a little to get some flow going?

I tried the 308 with a Jinhao #6 M nib and flow was much better. It's a beautiful and lovely pen to use, if I could just solve the dryness issue with the stock nib.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Mine write with no fuss, no issue with stock nib ( F ) so far , other than that I am still waiting for the Medium size to be re-released, do you write in a shallow angle .. I do know some report they have trouble getting ink flow properly when writing at a shallow angle.

Mine write with no fuss, no issue with stock nib ( F ) so far , other than that I am still waiting for the Medium size to be re-released, do you write in a shallow angle .. I do know some report they have trouble getting ink flow properly when writing at a shallow angle.

I try to maintain about a 50 degree angle, but I tried many different angles to no avail.

I also noticed something annoying about using other nibs in this pen. There is an edge inside the top of the cap that will push to the side any nib that isn't the exact same shape as the stock nib. The pen has been writing wonderfully with a Jinhao #6 M nib, but every time I unscrew the cap I must push the nib back into proper alignment on the feed thanks to that edge in the cap.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to swap the #6 penbbs 308 with a vintage 14k #6 nib?

I try to maintain about a 50 degree angle, but I tried many different angles to no avail.

I also noticed something annoying about using other nibs in this pen. There is an edge inside the top of the cap that will push to the side any nib that isn't the exact same shape as the stock nib. The pen has been writing wonderfully with a Jinhao #6 M nib, but every time I unscrew the cap I must push the nib back into proper alignment on the feed thanks to that edge in the cap.

Is it possible to swap the #6 penbbs 308 with a vintage 14k #6 nib?

I doubt it. I'm not an expert on vintage nib sizes, but I believe a modern #6 is something like a vintage #8 and then even those vary between manufacturers. This is nice pen to have so it wouldn't hurt to try anyway.

nicely done chris, and PenBBS had unofficially announce that they will now intro all thos enew acrylic color into the 308 and 267 range , that's looking more interesting to me than the Demo 309 , but I still want the 309 in a solid color option.

You can see a video review of my 308 - https://youtu.be/WBMIVwLPYS4.

Also do a nib swap video 323 uses same nib as 308 -

Chris

Thanks for the excellent video! One thing I noticed on my 308 is that, due to the standard #6 nibs being just a tad wider and longer, I've had trouble with the inside of the cap pushing the nib about 1mm to the side when screwing the cap on all the way. That means I've either have to push the nib back in place every time I uncapped it for use or not screw the cap on all the way.

Edited by TruthPil

Came across Penbbs 308 on Ebay yesterday, while it passes the "eye candy" test admirably it is a brand I know nothing about. There is very little information on this pen or brand, I see the brand mentioned in Ian's "Chinese pen show and tell" a little but not much else.

I like a fine nib pen which this 308 is being sold as, but wonder about the advantages of the slightly up turned nib.

Being relatively expensive for a Chinese pen, about $33 Australian, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular model. I have also found the pen on a site called Taobao, on this site there is a greater colour range than Ebay, any feedback on buying from Taobao would alone be greatly appreciated.

Greg

The upturned nib is a great feature. Sheaffer called it their "rocking chair nib" in a 1943 advertisement film. MontBlanc uses a variation. Often, it's called a "Waverly" upturn.

Someone (Chrisrap himself!) had Penbbs examples at the last Big Apple Pen club meeting. The materials are beautiful, but we write with a nib, and designing around a Waverly nib is a great idea. If only Penbbs offered a medium nib!

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight