Tokyo Quill Shop Won’T Ship Pens To India.

Aquaspindle

My first post here, and Im asking for help. Kinda shameful, but cant help it.

Apparently Tokyo quill shop, the one that sells Pilot Custom 823 with FA nibs doesnt ship to India because japan post has received instructions from Indian customs that fountain pens imports are prohibited. Im hoping that this isnt true, but I could use some help from you guys.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aquaspindle

• BCGGSM

• hari317

• prashant.tikekar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is indeed true. As per Indian customs, fountain pens are contraband items for import. They will absolutely refuse to ship to India. I wanted the same pen and had it shipped to my friend in Japan and paid 8% local consumption tax.

It is indeed true. As per Indian customs, fountain pens are contraband items for import. They will absolutely refuse to ship to India. I wanted the same pen and had it shipped to my friend in Japan and paid 8% local consumption tax.

Im pretty sure thats not the case. Searched up the Customs govt website, and I found this. The document is always kept up to date too. http://www.cbec.gov.in/resources//htdocs-cbec/customs/cst1617-300616/chap-96.pdf

post-140029-0-75116200-1510925025_thumb.jpeg

Im pretty sure thats not the case. Searched up the Customs govt website, and I found this. The document is always kept up to date too. http://www.cbec.gov.in/resources//htdocs-cbec/customs/cst1617-300616/chap-96.pdf

I know. The Japan post has been separately notified about the contraband and they will return the package back to the shipper.

They (the shop and post) absolutely will not agree, I have tried.

I know. The Japan post has been separately notified about the contraband and they will return the package back to the shipper.

They (the shop and post) absolutely will not agree, I have tried.

So there’s nothing that can be done? Why would they even issue such a stupid notification in this first place.. it’s just a pen.. ಥ_ಥ

So theres nothing that can be done? Why would they even issue such a stupid notification in this first place.. its just a pen.. ಥ_ಥ

No, nothing can be done. You can get it shipped to someone you know in U.S. Or some other country And they can bring it along when they come to India. Other than that, nothing.

Its correct that there is such a notification from India to Japan in this matter. I think the notification has included FPs in error and has not been rectified. The result of this is a problem within Japan where the office of outward exchange can sometimes return the package to sender. Some sellers are willing to ship if you are ready to assume the risks. I have done so with good success and several purchases from Japan and worldwide including the UK where Royal Mail offers an economical signed for service to India which is fully trackable.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Its correct that there is such a notification from India to Japan in this matter. I think the notification has included FPs in error and has not been rectified. The result of this is a problem within Japan where the office of outward exchange can sometimes return the package to sender. Some sellers are willing to ship if you are ready to assume the risks. I have done so with good success and several purchases from Japan and worldwide including the UK where Royal Mail offers an economical signed for service to India which is fully trackable.

Can I look at where this notification was made? I’d love to try to do something about it.

I dont have a copy of the communication from India to Japan in this regard. But it has been made. You can translate the following page from Japanese using google.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-kokusai/nonmailable_articles.php?p=3&cid=101

The bottom line is a special permit is required for import for the items on the list.

Similar information has been shared with Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=IN

See if you can do something about it...

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I ordered a pen last month only... It reached without any problem.. is this development very recent as in within this montn only ??

I dont have a copy of the communication from India to Japan in this regard. But it has been made. You can translate the following page from Japanese using google.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-kokusai/nonmailable_articles.php?p=3&cid=101

The bottom line is a special permit is required for import for the items on the list.

Similar information has been shared with Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=IN

See if you can do something about it...

I’ll contact the customs office in my city and see if something can be done. Thanks a lot for taking out the time to find that stuff for me!

I ordered a pen last month only... It reached without any problem.. is this development very recent as in within this montn only ??

I have no idea. As for the the problem, it doesn’t seem new. I can find this post going back to 2015 about it.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/291878-are-fountain-pens-now-considered-contraband-in-india/

Unless this is a very recent development, which I'm not aware of. I've imported following fountain pen in last six months -

1. Two Mont Blanc form Europe

2. Pelican from Japan

3. Sailor form Japan

4. Four Pilot pen from Japan

I still believe there should not be any problem.

It's not a recent development, and it's not as easy as "I imported these pens in the last one year."

I'm sure all of us have a local PO. It's just the problem of the Tokyo shop's local PO who may have faced this problem earlier and now reluctant to ship pens to India.

Also, this notifications is applicable to all PO's and shippers in Japan. Some just choose not to bother with it or don't know about it. At the end of the day, they are breaking the law, whether knowingly or unknowingly will not make a difference if found out.

Unless this is a very recent development, which I'm not aware of. I've imported following fountain pen in last six months -

1. Two Mont Blanc form Europe

2. Pelican from Japan

3. Sailor form Japan

4. Four Pilot pen from Japan

I still believe there should not be any problem.

I’d happily risk it if it was up to me. Unfortunately, Tokyo Quill shop doesn’t seem to want to take the risk for me. Oh well. I guess I can still dream about the FA nib at nights.

Id happily risk it if it was up to me. Unfortunately, Tokyo Quill shop doesnt seem to want to take the risk for me. Oh well. I guess I can still dream about the FA nib at nights.

Try contacting pensindia.com and see if they can help you getting this one from Japan for you.

This had been there for some time. Try changing the shipping from ems to 'small parcel' or registered parcel...

I can’t choose the shipping, it is up to the shop only. I will talk to them and see if I can work something out.

Try contacting pensindia.com and see if they can help you getting this one from Japan for you.

No offense, but I’ve never done business with them. Since this is already expensive, I don’t want this getting out of hand for me.