Where To Buy Authentic Safari Limited Editions From Past Years?

PonderinStuff

Hello everyone:

Im a fountain pen newbie who arrived late to the Lamy Safari party; I only discovered them a couple of years ago. Ive really been lusting after the beautiful aquamarine 2011 special edition which sold out way before I had even heard of Lamy.

I have seen a few of the aquamarine Safaris advertised on eBay, but Ive also been reading about all the fakes that are on the market. As a brand new buyer of Safaris, I dont want to get duped right out of the gate. Ive watched videos on how to spot a fake, but I dont know any way Id be able to spot fakes on an online auction site since the seller could obviously find and post pics of authentic pens, even if he/she only had counterfeits in their possession. And Ive heard that positive reviews can be faked as well.

So do any of you experienced members have any advice to help me find one of those authentic hot, hot aquamarine Safari fountain pens?

Here is an example of what Ive seen advertised on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Lamy-Safari-Fountain-Pen-2011-Edition-Aquamarine-Genuine/592486844

Thanks!

PS - Apologies if there is already a thread on here about avoiding counterfeit pens. This is my first post on the network and I did search for an existing thread first, but didnt see one.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bogiesan

• Chrissy

• ErrantSmudge

• PonderinStuff

There have been some discussions about the possibilities of fake Safaris out there, but I couldn't point you to a specific thread. There is a search function in the upper right hand corner of the page. You probably want to change from the default "Google search" to "Forums" in the dropdown box.

I don't know enough about older models of Safaris (I just have last year's Dark Lilac LE) to be able to say which are real or not. Or whether this is a good deal on this particular pen or not....

I did notice that this particular seller has no feedback ratings at all....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If nothing else, remember that if an item is not described (photo shows real pen but what arrives is clearly a fake, for example) the seller has violated eBay policy and you can return the pen. Study pictures carefully and, when in doubt, ask questions about the item. Ask for more pictures. Over time you will learn who the reliable sellers are. Enjoy the chase.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I know it's not exactly what you want, but this year's limited edition Al-Star is basically that color. Plus it has the nice satin anodized aluminum finish.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

In one of the other threads here, a pen dealer said Lamy strictly forbids sales on eBay.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/329441-cheapest-place-to-buy-a-lamy-nib/?p=3950267

So it is very likely that your average eBay seller is not an authorized Lamy dealer.

Generally that admonition applies only to retailers selling new merchandise.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

We have many Safari collectors around here. Someone may contact you offline. You can also check the marketplace section of the forum. Depending on where you live, start looking around for other pen enthusiasts. You may find they have meetings. Pen shows happen regularly in major cities.

Try not to get too excited about finiding a specific color. Easy to spend a lot of money or to get ripped off.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I know it's not exactly what you want, but this year's limited edition Al-Star is basically that color. Plus it has the nice satin anodized aluminum finish.

Yep, but starting an AlStar collection is a bit more expensive!

Personally, I prefer weir it go with the mass of my ALStars to any of my Safaris. Hmm, I just admitted I have a Lamy collection.

There will be some of the special editions sold on eBay, as some people would have bought them when they were available, just so they could sell them later at a profit. So not all of those that you find will be fakes. The example you showed was clearly not a fake, but on the other hand, no-one in their right mind would pay that price for a Safari!!

You might find some on ebay, on Amazon or in the Classifieds on FPN. Or you might even find the odd one in a little old B&M stationery shop somewhere. :)

We have many Safari collectors around here. Someone may contact you offline. You can also check the marketplace section of the forum. Depending on where you live, start looking around for other pen enthusiasts. You may find they have meetings. Pen shows happen regularly in major cities.

Try not to get too excited about finiding a specific color. Easy to spend a lot of money or to get ripped off.

Nice ideas. I've seen good deals on past LE Safaris/AlStars at pen shows.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 4 weeks later...

Rolf Theil, who is "missing-pen" on eBay can. often. locate an out-of-production Lamy if it's not already listed. Send him an email query. He is one of the best, he ships fast with a tracking number, and his prices are competitive. Another excellent source for special edition or out-of-production Lamy writing instruments is Regina Martini at martiniauctions.com .

/Robert

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

I have also been looking for my vintage Safari. A burnt orange one, but the prices are insane. I'd trade a couple of my other pens for one.

Zap

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I have a lightly used Lamy Safari Dark Lilac (EF nib) with the matching (almost full) bottle of ink.

I checked on eBay and the ink seems to be going for more than $100 a bottle! That seems crazy! Anyone know what the pens are worth?

Edited by nacomeau

I checked on eBay and the ink seems to be going for more than $100 a bottle! That seems crazy! Anyone know what the pens are worth?

At the LA Pen Show yesterday, a dealer specializing in Lamy was asking $80 for a Dark Lilac Safari.

They might try asking for these sorts of prices, but they might not get them. :huh:

Didn't Lamy say they might be adding some of these LE inks to the permanent range? ;)

Even though the one dealer at the LA pen show was asking $80 for a Dark Lilac Safari, I was able to find one elsewhere at the show for $25 - which I bought. So it pays to look around.

The CEO of Lamy said they had 10 new inks planned for the market this year, but no word on if they are revivals of past LE inks.