Temperamental 3776

gibbs

I recently purchased my third 3776 this time in a medium instead of a fine like my other 2 and while my other 2 are great writers. the new one is a bit temperamental as to why stumps me as at home it took a bit to start when I first inked it up but I expect that with cartridges but once it got writing its great and I can pick it up anytime and it writes great.

The past two days I decided to take the pen to work to use as my day to day pen and it's been nothing but trouble it seemed to struggle to start writing and when it did start while it was fine it would stop just as quick it worked a bit better after I dipped the nib in water but eventually the issue returned.

I am at a loss with this as if the pen was a pain everywhere it would make sense but considering how nice it is at home I find it strange that this hasn't continued.

Edited by gibbs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gibbs

• jar

• jmccarty3

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it still using cartridges or did you switch to a converter?

It is still on the cartridge at the moment, I need to order a converter for it at some point.

I don't know if it makes much difference but the cartridge in it currently is a platinum carbon black

It is still on the cartridge at the moment, I need to order a converter for it at some point.

I don't know if it makes much difference but the cartridge in it currently is a platinum carbon black

Yes, that may but let's consider a few other things.

When at home where do you keep the pen?

When at work where do you keep the pen?

Is the cartridge near empty?

Edited by jar

My Website

Yes, that may but let's consider a few other things.

When at home where do you keep the pen?

When at work where do you keep the pen?

Is the cartridge near empty?

At home, the pen has been laid however I did try standing it nib up wondering if it's position in my pocket at work was the issue but after overnight and most of today (around 20 hrs) I picked up the pen to test it on some paper I'd brought home from work and it wrote straight away without any issues.

I looked briefly and the cartridge is probably around 3/4 full

Are you using a different paper at work?

At work, it is occasionally printer paper but is mainly receipt paper from out of the tills that I have to sign, I did bring some home to test and seemed to write ok.

At home, it is a mix of whatever is to hand from cheap printer paper through to Rhodia

At work, it is occasionally printer paper but is mainly receipt paper from out of the tills that I have to sign, I did bring some home to test and seemed to write ok.

Is the receipt paper you brought home blank? Is the receipt paper you write on at work printed on? That paper is usually thermal. It's quite possible that the process of printing makes it not like fountain pens (in fact, I would *expect* that).

Please try this. First, flush the nib and switch to the Platinum Blue ink.

Do you have the little $1.00 adapter that allows you to use international standard cartridges?

http://www.fototime.com/1B3C251F4CFB161/medium800.jpg

My Website

Please try this. First, flush the nib and switch to the Platinum Blue ink.

Do you have the little $1.00 adapter that allows you to use international standard cartridges?

I don't have the adapter but can look at getting one when I order the converter for it

I flushed the pen twice once using dish soap and once without and fitted the blue/black cartridge and after a bit of testing it seems a bit better.

Although I am starting to think it may be a paper issue as I was working in a different part of the building filling in transfer labels which are essentially standard copier paper with a sticky back and it worked flawlessly with the carbon ink.

I have also noticed that we have 2 different types of till roll at work, one feels waxier than the other and it seems to work better on one than the other with the left being the standard one and the write having heavy printing on the rear which may be why it feels waxier

post-136955-0-07080000-1510616934_thumb.jpg

I tried the pens in the following order in this test

1. Platinum Preppy, Carbon Black
  2. Platinum 3776, Carbon Black
  3. Platinum Shungyo, Pilot Momiji
  4. Platinum 3776, Blue Black
  5. Parker 45, Quink Blue

I did also notice with the preppy and the carbon fill run on the left-hand test that while I got the equivalent to nearly one line of A4 that was the limit as a kind of waxy ball built up at the tip of the nib resulting in them both stopping writing although when I wiped this off on a paper towel both pens started writing on standard lined paper straight away

And while the order is off this picture gives an idea of how they behave on standard paper (I'll apologise for the writing now I know it's terrible)

post-136955-0-24216400-1510616961_thumb.jpg

I suppose that settles it, the paper itself is more likely the cause of the trouble than the pen itself. And I think that's pretty much expected as these kind of paper are never intended for writing, even ball points tend to struggle with it. If you try a pencil you will find that in many cases the pencil would slide across the surface without leaving any mark. That's about the top coating and its not only the wax. Its the sizing / coating that give the paper its thermo printing compatibility.