Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

2 For 2 - Scratchy Out Of The Box

MG66

Hello All,

I just received my Lamy Al-Star Graphite today with medium nib. I like the look, feel, weight, etc... but the nib is quite scratchy when writing. I also have a Safari which was also scratchy "out of the box." I tried the Safari again today after using the Al-Star and it definitely wasn't as scratchy as the new pen.

I only have about a half dozen pens, but none have been scratchy except the Lamys. Is this a "trait" of the pen? Does it get better over time, and that's why my slightly older Safari is less noticeably scratchy than my brand new Al-Star?

Thanks!

edit: the scratchiness is on the upstroke and the right to left stroke

Edited by MG66

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tadeusz

• ParkerDuofold

• MG66

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi MG66,

By any chance, do you have a '66 MG?

Unfortunately, it does seem like QC @ Lamy has been slipping a bit lately... as I too have experienced more scratchy nibs lately. :(

At any rate, it sounds like the tines are out of alignment. You can fix this yourself if you have a loupe and are not arthritic.

Here are a couple of videos on how to fix the problem, (the first one being the simplest, but not always effective method). The third video shows you the proper way to use a loupe. Depending on your budget, you can opt for the Goulet loupe and probably be okay, or get a top grade one from Belarus, (I'll check the brand name later and get back to you - I'm typing this in bed). :)

Stick with a 10-15x power loupe; less will not be strong enough; more than that will be too distorted.

http://youtu.be/8cuKrDmvrHQ

http://youtu.be/1YRnN99412o

Or, go with option B and send them back for an exchange/refund.

Btw, :W2FPN:

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

If I might add in, I have a BelOMO loupe from Belarus (probably the same company as mentioned by ParkerDuofold)- a phenomenal little thing, very useful and well worth the investment.

If I might add in, I have a BelOMO loupe from Belarus (probably the same company as mentioned by ParkerDuofold)- a phenomenal little thing, very useful and well worth the investment.

That's the one! Thanks.

- A.C. (P.D.)

Hi MG66,

By any chance, do you have a '66 MG?

Unfortunately, it does seem like QC @ Lamy has been slipping a bit lately... as I too have experienced more scratchy nibs lately. :(

At any rate, it sounds like the tines are out of alignment. You can fix this yourself if you have a loupe and are not arthritic.

Here are a couple of videos on how to fix the problem, (the first one being the simplest, but not always effective method). The third video shows you the proper way to use a loupe. Depending on your budget, you can opt for the Goulet loupe and probably be okay, or get a top grade one from Belarus, (I'll check the brand name later and get back to you - I'm typing this in bed). :)

Stick with a 10-15x power loupe; less will not be strong enough; more than that will be too distorted.

http://youtu.be/8cuKrDmvrHQ

http://youtu.be/1YRnN99412o

Or, go with option B and send them back for an exchange/refund.

Btw, :W2FPN:

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Thank you, Anthony! This helped a lot. I performed the technique in the first video and saw (felt) a definite improvement.

No, I don't own an MG. In the very early days of the World Wide Web, I wrote a column on cigars for a gourmet cooking website. For reasons I'm completely unconscious of, I choose a penname whose initials are "MG". And '66 is the year of my birth. :)

Thanks again!

Edited by MG66

Thank you, Anthony! This helped a lot. I performed the technique in the first video and saw (felt) a definite improvement.

Thats great news, MG; I'm glad it worked for you. :thumbup: Sometimes it does; sometimes you have to resort to Video #2... it all depends on how severe the misalignment is.

No, I don't own an MG. In the very early days of the World Wide Web, I wrote a column on cigars for a gourmet cooking website. For reasons I'm completely unconscious of, I choose a penname whose initials are "MG". And '66 is the year of my birth. :)

Ah, that sounds cool. I don't smoke anymore... but I used to enjoy the occasional good cigar.

Don't sweat it... I've made some of my best decisions for reasons I was completely oblivious to. ;) :D

Thanks again!

You bet. I'm just glad I was able to help. :)

- Anthony

Don't sweat it... I've made some of my best decisions for reasons I was completely oblivious to. ;) :D

Really? I've made some of my worst in that state! :rolleyes:

Really? I've made some of my worst in that state! :rolleyes:

:lol:

Well,... it usually goes one way or the other. :D

- A.C.