Conid Question

Lloyd

Are these permanent stains or can it be wiped off like some Noodlers inks?

Delrin might be calling my name.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• Mew

• Doug C

• alaskazimm

Top Posters In This Topic

Is their acrylic susceptible to staining(I assume CONID doesn't use a process to make it extra stain-resistant like TWSBI)? Can a delrin Minimalistica be given an ink window?

I should add that mine hasn't stained although I have been very careful. I am more paranoid than most after Pelikan Topaz stained the ink window of a Pelikan I loved.

I have to disagree. I have a slimline and the only thing I dislike is the slippery delrin section. My minimalistica has the acrylic body and it much easier to hold on to.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks for that input, Doug! I've read others state the same opinion.

Have you experienced any permanent staining, Doug?

Edited by Lloyd

Oscar Wilde

None at all. The slimline also has the demo body (I just have to see that mechanism in action) and I have yet to see anything.

And..I hate to admit this but I am not always fastidious about every last drop out when I flush a pen.The slimline is about 2 years old and the minimalistica is about 2 months.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Thanks again, Doug. What's your opinion on this pen (my original question in this thread) :is this a fantastic writing pen even factoring out the novel filling system?

Oscar Wilde

Are these permanent stains or can it be wiped off like some Noodlers inks?

Delrin might be calling my name.

I had to run a fill of Sailor Doyou through to clean out the stains (the ink was Akkerman Blauw). Scrubbing did nothing. But that’s the only ink that’s really stained any of my Conids.

Sailor Doyou removed the stains?

Oscar Wilde

Is their acrylic susceptible to staining(I assume CONID doesn't use a process to make it extra stain-resistant like TWSBI)? Can a delrin Minimalistica be given an ink window?

Yes, it will stain depending upon the ink you use. Saturated inks would stain the barrel, which is why I don't have a Demonstrator kingsize. Though you can remove the stains using the Sailor Do-you ink gylyf mentioned above, but when almost every ink that I have would do that do an extent, doesn't make much sense to get the pen. I'm waiting for them to release something in interesting material.

I'm waiting for them to release something in interesting material.

Did you consider the FPN Kingsize CONID?

Oscar Wilde

Did you consider the FPN Kingsize CONID?

Yes, I did. I don't like those yellow streaks and all the pens I have seen have those.

Demonstrator - don't like.

Black ebonite - don't want another black pen

AntwerpPen - not the kind of red I like.

Gentleman pen - looks great, probably won't get another opportunity to get a Conid with gold nib and matching trims, but that is another black pen. Material is Derlin (that's what the winner bidder of GMP - #1 told me).

FPN Blue Pearl - don't like those yellow streaks and all the pens I have seen has those.

Only option I can see is to wait for future LE/SE. Even then I can't be sure whether they would release something that I like.

Thanks again, Doug. What's your opinion on this pen (my original question in this thread) :is this a fantastic writing pen even factoring out the novel filling system?

Yes. Conid seem to know how to tune a pen. Neither of mine have any issues. I do think the larger pens might be a little much for me weight wise, and I don't know how many people post them. I will some times post the Min, but not the slimline. Here is one little gripe. It is very though to post the Sl with the o rings. It takes a bit of pressure.

the Danitrio Fellowship

Yes. Conid seem to know how to tune a pen. Neither of mine have any issues. I do think the larger pens might be a little much for me weight wise, and I don't know how many people post them. I will some times post the Min, but not the slimline. Here is one little gripe. It is very though to post the Sl with the o rings. It takes a bit of pressure.

It's really comfortable and you don't feel the weight. Well balanced. I will always buy a kingsize.

And yes, their nib tuning is great. The nib I have on my kingsize is the smoothest nib I own.

Yes, I did. I don't like those yellow streaks and all the pens I have seen have those.

Demonstrator - don't like.

Black ebonite - don't want another black pen

AntwerpPen - not the kind of red I like.

Gentleman pen - looks great, probably won't get another opportunity to get a Conid with gold nib and matching trims, but that is another black pen. Material is Derlin (that's what the winner bidder of GMP - #1 told me).

FPN Blue Pearl - don't like those yellow streaks and all the pens I have seen has those.

Only option I can see is to wait for future LE/SE. Even then I can't be sure whether they would release something that I like.

Also there is the Fontoplumo Orange Monarch in Kingsize and its ebonite. I like mine quite a bit.

I have one Kingsize and 3 Regulars. The KingSize is not my favorite (obviously) but it has grown on me. THe Regular is just right for me and I have large hands. I will say that the Gold nib that I received on my KingSize was not my favorite, but the Titanium nibs and the stainless nib that came on my regular Antwerppen are all superb.

As I like (very) wide grips (MB149, Danitrio Takumi,...) but don't want to go too long, I'm leaning towards the Minimalistica. I want the steel nib as I'm into stiffer nibs at the moment. However, I'm not sure what material to go with...It sounds like the acrylic is stain-prone for vivid ink users and the delrin is slippery.

I wonder if the polished delrin would lose its slipperiness if scotchbrite were used to create a matte finish. Obviously, the o-ring would need to still seal the cap airtight.

Edited by Lloyd

Oscar Wilde

As I like (very) wide grips (MB149, Danitrio Takumi,...) but don't want to go too long, I'm leaning towards the Minimalistica. I want the steel nib as I'm into stiffer nibs at the moment. However, I'm not sure what material to go with...It sounds like the acrylic is stain-prone for vivid ink users and the delrin is slippery.

I wonder if the polished delrin would lose its slipperiness if scotchbrite were used to create a matte finish. Obviously, the o-ring would need to still seal the cap airtight.

Hi Lloyd,

The delrin Minimalistica is effectively roughened with scotchbrite, but - just as on the Lamy 2000 - the roughness may gradually get less over time. Brushing with scothbrite will however restore the original surface structure, no problem for the cap holding O Ring pretension.

Francis

Thanks, Francis!

Oscar Wilde

I have a number of Conid and I bought the Minimalistica mostly as a curiosity --turns out I really like it. Far more so than the Regular.

As far as material slipperiness, I find Delrin and acrylic to be pretty much a tie. However my major qualm with the Regular comfort is the narrow, tapered section. So it's the section shape as well as the material. My fingers are always slipping and settling in that narrow point of the Regular section which I personally find uncomfortable. (Quite possible others won't mind this.)

Whereas the Minimalistica is essentially convex. So there's no narrow section issues there. I find the Minimalistica to be quite a nice size overall.

Buying advice:

1) Get the clip. I didn't and I regret it. It's my only clipless pen and I'll never get used to it rolling around on the table.

2) Pay extra for the Conid tool. So you can easily clean and re-grease the piston.

3) Buy all the steel #6 nibs. They're about $9 each so you're not breaking the bank. That way when you get the pen there's less of a possibility of line-width disappointment because you'll have F, M and B at your disposal. Titanium and gold can be purchased later if you want to keep costs down. Or maybe steel is all the nib you'll ever need. I find Bock nibs to be pretty good.

Edited by sketchstack