Conid Question

Lloyd

Due to the HUGE love (nearly) all Conid owners have expressed towards these pens, I've been seriously considering a Minimalistica (wide but not huge). Would you Conid-lovers strongly recommend one to someone that likes eyedropper filled pens? In other words, factoring out the great engineering of the bulkfiller system, are Conids still hyper-desirable over comparably priced eyedropper filled pen (e.g. Newtons, Edisons, Kilks, Scriptoriums,...)?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• Mew

• Doug C

• alaskazimm

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I have never understood the love of Eye Droppers, so in that I can't help. I have numerous high end pens (Nakaya, Danitro, MB, Pelikan, KOP)in addition to my Conids. Ink capacity is not a huge factor for me, but it is nice. Ability to shut off the ready to use reservoir is nice for traveling. Not ever having to worry about skipping, having the pen just write perfectly time after time, even after a long break, Priceless!

I'm not a fan of eyedroppers either, but the main thing about the Bulkfiller is you get near eyedropper capacity (2.5ml for the Minimalistica) crossed with the piston-like ease of filling and fewer concerns of making a mess.

But capacity and filling mechanism aside, for me the main thing about my Minimalistica is the comfort of the pen itself. As nice as my Edisons are, as much as I love my Pelikans, the Conid stands above them all for in-the-hand comfort and writing experience. If you find the Lamy 2000 a comfortable pen, then you would likely find the Minimalistica also comfortable.

If you find the Lamy 2000 a comfortable pen

I don't. Too narrow, I dislike the "ears", and too slippery.

Oscar Wilde

Think of the Conid like a piston filler. Its more difficult to clean than an eye dropper. The thing I really like about Conid is how easy it is to take everything apart.

Fair enough, though the Minimalistica is a little bit larger than the L2K, both in length and girth they both seemed to have similar feel in the hand, iirc. I can't directly compare right now as I sold the 2K just before I got the Conid.

I have a kingsize Conid and a Japanese eyedropper - Namiki emperor. Unlike Edison or scriptorium eyedropper a, Japanese eyedropper have a shut-off valve which serves the same function as the Conid shut-off valve. I use both, emperor a bit more than Conid.

Ink capacity is 3ml for Conid and 4ml for emperor, but the nibs are completely different. Namiki has the #50 nib, the biggest in-regular production nib at the moment, whereas Conid has a #8 nib.

If given a choice between scriptorium and newtons etc. And Conid, I would pick Conid. But between emperor and Conid, always emperor. Not even comparing the ink capacities, I find emperor nicer to use.

Shut-off valve shuts off the barrel from the section so the ink in the barrel cannot enter the section and flow through the feed to the nib. This is useful in preventing leaks due to temperature or air pressure changes.

Some vac Fillers, all conid and Japanese eyedropper employ this system.

The Minimalistica feels much better in my hand than my Lamy 2000 (although I still love my Lamy), I find the Conid exceptionally comfortable and not overly wide.

I have the half-demo version of the Minimalistica which has a clear acrylic body and a Delrin cap and piston rod knob. If I had to rate the slipperiness of the 3 materials it would be:

Acrylic -> Delrin -> Makralon (from most slippery to least slippery)

Hope this helps?

Matt

Reevers: do you mean that you find acrylic the most slippery?

MEW: I'm familiar with cutoff valves. I have a Danitrio Densho with a cutoff valve. My thought is that the CONID would be more rugged.

Edited by Lloyd

Oscar Wilde

Anyone else like to give some input? Is acrylic more slippery than Delrin? Is the Minimalistica fantastic even if one factors out the bulk filler?

Oscar Wilde

Anyone else like to give some input? Is acrylic more slippery than Delrin? Is the Minimalistica fantastic even if one factors out the bulk filler?

I think so. I'm one who likes to change inks so the capacity of the bulkfiller is actually kind of a drawback for me. None the less, the Minimalistica is one of, if not the, most comfortable pen I have.

Mine has the delrin cap and just going by feel the cap does seem slightly more slippery than the acrylic body of the pen itself. Not a great deal more, just slight difference.

I would class the acrylic as more slippery than delrin, but it is very close. It's not a slippery pen my any means.

Matt

Reevers: do you mean that you find acrylic the most slippery?

MEW: I'm familiar with cutoff valves. I have a Danitrio Densho with a cutoff valve. My thought is that the CONID would be more rugged.

Yes, it is.

I had an acrylic Minimalistica and have since sold it. I found the acrylic OK in terms of grip - its more slippery than ebonite and about the same as Delrin, but I never had an issue using it. I would also add that its a very comfortable pen, provided its not too short for you (or that you dont mind posting).

Id say the Minimalistica is a fantastic pen even if one sets aside the filling system. However, I couldnt get past the feel of the slip-on cap. The rubber o-ring and the acrylic barrel just did not feel good slipping onto one another (to me - there are clearly many who arent bothered by it). So, I passed it on.

Good luck with your purchase!

Edited by gylyf

I have a CONID regular bulkfiller flattop. I thought I wanted a minimalistica but when I saw them in person at the London show, I thought the regular was worth the extra cash, mainly because I preferred the screw on cap.

I bought a demo because I wanted an exemplar of the brand, and the ability to disassemble makes it very easy to successfully clean, although if I bought another I would be a solid Delrin pen to avoid worries over staining.

I don't find the pen at all slippy to use.

I went for the steel nib after much deliberation and it is one of the very best nibs I own, although I had the benefit of a tune up by CONID at the time I bought it.

I don't think you would regret buying a CONID. Even if you did I don't think you would have any problem selling it.

Is their acrylic susceptible to staining(I assume CONID doesn't use a process to make it extra stain-resistant like TWSBI)? Can a delrin Minimalistica be given an ink window?

Oscar Wilde

Is their acrylic susceptible to staining(I assume CONID doesn't use a process to make it extra stain-resistant like TWSBI)? Can a delrin Minimalistica be given an ink window?

I cant speak to stain treating but Francis has said in another thread that they wont add an ink window to the Minimalistica to keep down costs.