New Pelikan M200 Brown-Marble Fountain Pen

Fritz Schimpf

Brown Marble came. Here it is with all the other little marbles in the flock (well, almost :D )

fpn_1512155179__all_the_marbles.jpg

I love this pic. You don't see the post-97 gray marbled very much.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jkingrph

• Runnin_Ute

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to realize you spoke blasphemy :yikes: :angry: ...........one Pelikan :wacko: ... :lticaptd:

Forgive me, Father Bo Bo, for I have sinned...

Guess Ill have to find another way to feed the kids if I end up getting one of these after Christmas...from the sound of things that M200/205 is basically a promise of a future Pelikan flock.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Oh and BillH - quite a collection.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

Thank you AK... one by one... they just keep showing up.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

AK-47 it all depends on what you want the nib to do.

Modern 400/600 can be had second hand for a 'butter smooth' nib..............IMO a fat and blobby characterless semi-nail.....made that way so the Ball Point Barbarian who refused to learn to hold a fountain pen like one, could write with the thicker tip....made stiffer so he'd have a harder time turning the nib into a pretzel..............that and 'butter smooth' took over for 'noobies' at All Costs.

Can be made into a stub or CI to give the nib a bit of character. I had my 605's BB made into a 1.0 stub, which is just as butter smooth as it had been as a blob.

...........the 200 is much more the vintage/semi-vintage width or 1/2 or more of a width narrower than modern. A 200 won't slip off of slick paper like butter smooth.

Semi-vintage '82-97, I rate the gold of a 400 as even with the steel 200's...exactly even with my gold and steel Celebry's. Has a nice springy ride, a clean line....besides being within proper width tolerance.

For shading inks I prefer this era over the semi-flex which is a wetter nib due to ease of tine spread.

So if you want a 'big' wet line, the modern or the semi-flex can do that.

Semi&maxi-semi-flex will give you line variation ....on Demand. More care has to be taken with the ink and paper to make the wetter nib shade.

Semi-flex/Maxi-semi-flex era....not going into the '30/40's.......1950-65.....140, 400&400NN. (for later. :P ..100n and Ibis also made to '54)

If you mash a Regular flex 3 X a light down stroke, semi-flex takes half of that, Maxi-semi-flex half of that or 1/4th the pressure needed to mash a regular flex to 3 X. All three are in the 3 X tine spread set.

Going price on German Ebay if you Hunt...is @ E100...give or take and how hard you Hunt. Saw 400's going for E90 once or twice; with in the last few months when I was Hunting for someone else.....but I have enough of them....could be E120 can get you a 400nn could be a E100 and tortoise no more expensive than green stripped.................I'd not pay more that some wish.....I see no reason for paying 140-180 for something you can find for 110-120 max if you take a week or two and Hunt!

Hunting is half the fun....especially when you can't afford "Buy Now Idiot", wanting it yesterday at all costs....and buy now is at All Costs.

Seller has to take Paypal and ship to America....some folks in Europe being more ecological decided to take their ire out at the American voter by not doing business with them.

A bank wire transfer in the EU is as cheap as US checks, but from the States to Europe it will cost you $35....Pay Pal, is the only way to go, and there are folks who refuse to pay the fee, so cheap them selves out of business.

Same goes for the semi-vintage era.

So you can have vintage and or semi-vintage two pens, perhaps one a tortoise, for E200-230 or a modern used one for less than half new price.

Semi-flex OB.....and a nice semi-flex F that gives you a bit of expression in your writing.

Oblique '50-65, German pens are the only ones who going to do anything for you....in line variation....in beside being semi or maxi they are going to be stubs.

Outside Osmia, it is pure luck if you get a semi-flex or a maxi-semi-flex. :(

Pelikan and it's nibs are not simple nails like Parker....OK the P-75 is a semi-nail.

Well, English made Parker made semi-flex also....but not stub, just semi-flex with that American Bump Under. I've an English P-45 in Regular Flex also...but that is not US made.

Please read my signature.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I was hoping that mine would ship before now from LCdC, but it looks now if it ships anytime soon it will be caught up in the holiday customs madhouse.

Regards

Jeff

I was hoping that mine would ship before now from LCdC, but it looks now if it ships anytime soon it will be caught up in the holiday customs madhouse.

Noooo ... not the holidays customs madhouse!!! I have a Peli being mailed out this morning from Italy.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Noooo ... not the holidays customs madhouse!!! I have a Peli being mailed out this morning from Italy.

That's the one, I had one held up in Chicago last year for about 3 weeks. Tracking showed no activity and local postmaster thought it was lost until it finally showed up here, again had dropped off tracking network.

Regards

Jeff

I just had a pen go from Arkansas to Kansas City in one day...sat in Kansas City for two days, decided to hang out at the beach in Miami for two days before returning to Kansas City for 4 days..............It landed in Frankfurt and took 5 days to go sixty miles. :doh:

That last part I'd not expected.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Yes, I have had items come from eastern Oklahoma to E Texas and take well over a week. The hands down best shipping I have seen has been from Iguanasell in Madrid, Spain. They use international ups, and I have gotten next day delivery, by comparison domestic ups ad less than 1/10 the distance can take 5-6 days, sometimes longer.

I got an e mail about two hours after posting this that it had just shipped, so with a little luck I may see it before Christmas.

Edited by jkingrph

Regards

Jeff

IguanaSell is amazing. I can order a pen from them and have it in my hands in 48 hours, despite it having to cross the Atlantic. I'm in the same state as GouletPens and sometimes their shipping takes longer. I don't know how IguanaSell is so fast, but it's astounding.

Mine is probably caught in same. Received email from The Writing Desk this morning saying it was sent today (12/8).

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thank you AK... one by one... they just keep showing up.

Well, you can always try to get away with the line "Can I keep them? They just followed me home...."

[No, it didn't work for me either. :blush: My husband despairs.... ]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth just tell your husband it's cheaper than drinking on Saturday night.

You have given that liver beating up.....right? What ever you do, don't replace Saturday night out with Age Dried Beef..............sigh, the pens I've missed finding out where the beef was.

Received my M200 Brown Marbled from Indy-Pen-Dance today. Was not expecting a translucent barrel or this much glitter. Interesting.

That's the one, I had one held up in Chicago last year for about 3 weeks. Tracking showed no activity and local postmaster thought it was lost until it finally showed up here, again had dropped off tracking network.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one this is happening to. I'm waiting for a white M605 from Germany which has been traveling the US for 10 days from NYC to CA, and recently dropped off the tracking system. I'll go with Iguana Sell next time. Edited by Calabria

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I receivend mine to-day. A really nice colour. :wub: I was quite surprised by its transparency. When held against the light I can see the piston through the marbled part of the barrel.

Are all new models of the M200 of this kind, or just the brown one?

The older models I own (gray and blue) are opaque.

There are only two thing that shocked me:

1. The packaging. I got it in an uncushioned envelope. (Gladly it came undamaged.)

2. The fact that two days after my order the price dropped by 15€. :wacko:

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

I'm glad that I'm not the only one this is happening to. I'm waiting for a white M605 from Germany which has been traveling the US for 10 days from NYC to CA, and recently dropped off the tracking system. I'll go with Iguana Sell next time.

Sorry to hear about your long wait, Calabria. Yes, better to go with the lightning fast Iguana Sell! I had a return shipping nightmare with the Netherlands (likely won't get my money back from La C du C despite having insurance and it was a very expensive pen). I didn't think shipping from Germany was as long as the Netherlands post.

I got an email Dec 8 that mine had shipped. Tracking shows at Post NL on that date, Dec 9 ready for international transport, and nothing after that. So it looks like I have the fun of international post from the Netherlands this holiday season. I think twice bitten and I shall not order there this time of year again.

Regards

Jeff

Checking the tracking, mine left Heathrow on Friday morning (12/8), and the next tracking update was last night in Los Angeles (12/12) "Processed through Facility ISC Los Angeles CA (USPS)" Not sure if that is an arrival, or what. Guess we will see.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain