New Pelikan M200 Brown-Marble Fountain Pen

Fritz Schimpf

I like the look of this one but really am getting tired of the number of brown pens coming out of Hannover. I see the classic line as a missed opportunity for Pelikan to really do something fun and innovative. Still, this one should sell well, particularly at it's price point.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jkingrph

• Runnin_Ute

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it's a stunner. Pity I can't write comfortably with the M200s, as the grip is just a little too thin for me compared to the M400.

I think it's a nice addition to the M200 line and fills a gap for those who can't get the M400 tortoise, but like brown. I'm guessing we have the Renaissance Brown to thank for all the brown pens coming out; it must have done well. Now when will they release an M600 like the m800 Ocean Swirl, Stresseman, or white barrel with less feminine (for lack of a better word) colors? Here's to hoping it's in the cards next year.

Really?

Another brown pen, this from someone who generally likes brown... pens, ink etc. Oregano has expressed my thoughts (FRUSTRATION!) more succinctly than I could have. Come on Meine Brüder where is the M600 Tortoise? The marketing department reminds me of the blind man tossing darts at the target.

Would love to see a similar one in black and red swirl!

Ooh, wouldn't that be sweet!

Back to this new brown swirl, it looks pretty swell; especially glad it's an M200, with a commensurate - read 'affordable' - price and that it's not an LE, so I don't have to rush out right away to get one or risk losing out.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

OOOh, I like it.

I like the price point too!

So, I'll definitely maybe add one to the collection at some point :P !

Nib? Most def the skinny B!

Me three. But at that price point I'm already thinking about a vintage nib unit to add to it....

I don't expect the 200's EF to be Japanese thin. I do expect it to be semi-vintage/vintage thin.

I do have a couple vintage/semi-vintage EF's that I don't use as EF in one is maxi-semi-flex the other semi-flex....in I still have a slightly heavy hand...it does tend to write to an F..

The one I do use a regular flex 1745.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

This is sweet! Just yesterday I was telling my friend to keep an eye out for an M200 brown tortoise but I think this is as close as I'll get!

I do hope the cap, blind cap and section are dark brown though.

Edited by Tresconik

Pelikan 400/200 are very comfortable to write with.

600 is a little bit too large for me.

800/1000 are not for me at all.

I'm very happy I don't have to pay so much.

I'll get one with EF nib.

I hope next one will be M200 Gray Marble.

Being relatively satisfied with the 200's nibs I have....I do have Semi-flex OM (2) (either the nib was changed out of one or I got a real skinny OB in it. :( (Nibs of that era were not marked, the pen was.) Could be a skinny OB and a fat OM.... :unsure: There is a slight hair of difference.

I have a nice marked semi-flex B on a transition '54.... from my 500 I could use it's OBBB :P ...and the 140's nib will fit in OB or OF.....and at home no one would know how dorky that would look. The nibs are too small to balance the pens looks. They write just as good.

My 400nn OF maxi...is friction fit. Even though someone who might know said it was a problem with the ring being stuck in the throat. I've not taken it apart since then to find out if he was right or not. The pen works fine as is...out side of not being able to use that nib in other Pelikans.....as planed.

I would see no reason to use my '90's or other 200's nibs in it.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It's a beautiful pen. I think I know what I want for Christmas....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Really?

Another brown pen, this from someone who generally likes brown... pens, ink etc. Oregano has expressed my thoughts (FRUSTRATION!) more succinctly than I could have. Come on Meine Brüder where is the M600 Tortoise? The marketing department reminds me of the blind man tossing darts at the target.

Genau! Braun = Blah. Honestly though, it's all in line with the irrational but common German fear of change.

Genau! Braun = Blah. Honestly though, it's all in line with the irrational but common German fear of change.

I often wondered why there were and are so few colored vintage pens made and used in Germany...when they were exported. Black and Gold Cubed!!!! :gaah: :doh:

I had the thought the workers feared having a better pen than the boss....perhaps why Osmia had no brand showing caps and clips...to go with their diamond cap, and Osmia stylishly on the the clip.

The worker who stood out with a fancy looking pen...got fired, for being out of uniform and out of step?

When I got to Germany in '64, I was amazed how uniformed the workers were...certain workers had certain 'uniform' hats and so on. It's not so now in hats are not worn as much as then.

T(he US had been that way a Generation or so before.)

I don't expect the 200's EF to be Japanese thin. I do expect it to be semi-vintage/vintage thin.

I do have a couple vintage/semi-vintage EF's that I don't use as EF in one is maxi-semi-flex the other semi-flex....in I still have a slightly heavy hand...it does tend to write to an F..

I've got five modern (after 2010) m2xx with EF nib. Two of them I feel are something between F and EF, other two are really thin, so I'm satisfied in my search of thinness.

Last one is even thin and flex, to me, like the old pelikan steno. Perfect for proof editing.

So yes, you can go quite thin with a modern m200 EF, asking for it.

Chiara

The odd thing is that Pelikan seems to have a dumbbell-shaped product strategy. There are the way-out pens like the Pink and White Transparent, and then there are the safe pens like Stresemann and any-colour-you-like-as-long-as-it's-brown, but there's not a lot in between.

Personally I'd love it if they revisited the lovely ruby red... or did zigzags instead of just stripes :-)

Edited by amk

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

They use to make red and vivid blue stripped 400's and others....a decade or so ago. I guess way back then they did not sell enough. Folks on internet and FPN are more aware than in olden days.

There is the used market for the red or blue stripped ones....I do have enough real nibs now that I could swap out the modern blobby, stiffer nibs. Just what I needed another pen to save for. Even used when I see them :drool: .

What I really regret was those late '90's red stripped 600s, back when I was a one pen man....and that locked up in my wife's jewelry jail. I'd not understood at all.....spending 'all that' on a fountain pen...even if pretty.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

Sure, but they don't have to produce pens in tie dye colors to have great sales. I can image a re-issue of the green tortoise, or mother of pearl either of which would sell well. As for getting out on the thin ice of the comfort zone, I believe a yellow or gold stripe (or swirl for the 200 line) while certainly 'something different' would sell well. I realize that a yellow stripe pen would probably not be the first choice for business use but really, a fountain pen quit being a common site in the business world 50 years ago.

Tu-tone swirls in the classic series would appeal to people prone to collecting, especially if they were LE offerings. I mean think of it: brown and mocha, brown and tan, brown and café cream. Seriously, who would not like a black and red swirl, green and blue, white and black? I admit this would make people resistant to change break out in hives, but in the classic series it would not exactly count as foundational change. ... Dream on DrC.

I'm with DrCodfish. The M200 line could use some diversity as it's more entry level in a way, and not quite as "serious" as the Souverän line. A yellow with gold and brown accents M200 would be oo-la-la. I can think of many others that would be exciting yet still tasteful.

While I really like the look on this brown M200, and will probably get one, there could be exciting offerings if Pelikan decided to go that route. And I think it would bring people to the rand, though I hate thinking like that, but it would be something different, rather than more of the same.

Well, as said, I've pre-ordered....now just waiting for the end of the month....will get a choice EF out of it, in they said they'd check their stock for me. The company has been around since 1890.

One has to realize, I'm not normally an EF type, but if I'm going to use it more than my 215 or Amethyst which are M's, I did need more than just another F....I've got a 381& two Celebry pens....one is steel and one in gold in semi-vintage F.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson