New Pelikan M200 Brown-Marble Fountain Pen

Fritz Schimpf

I use a tracking site/service here, too. They used to send emails but stopped, too. Now I need to poll their site semi-regularly :-/

Understand, but you wonder why they seem to offer the service, and then not follow through with it.

Regards

Jeff

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jkingrph

• Runnin_Ute

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Feel good Propaganda is cheaper than something that works.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Looks like it will arrive before Christmas. UPS tracking updates suddenly are working and it shows as out for delivery. I got absolutely no notices of anything between Chicago and here and only learned it was in the Dallas area center by manually checking.

Regards

Jeff

Went back to tracking site and it arrived at Coppell, Tx distribution center this morning. Seven days from Chicago, must have been a slow freight.

I have found customs only scans the package when it enters the queue, not when it arrives and leaves. So your seven days were probably spent in Chicago customs.

I was going to order from LCdeC but went with Fritz Schimpf which had the same price with shipping and was already in stock. Took just under two weeks going through NY so a little slower than the typical time from Germany of ~10 days.

Edited by MarkTrain

I have found customs only scans the package when it enters the queue, not when it arrives and leaves. So your seven days were probably spent in Chicago customs.

I was going to order from LCdeC but went with Fritz Schimpf which had the same price with shipping and was already in stock. Took just under two weeks going through NY so a little slower than the typical time from Germany of ~10 days.

If I should order a pen again this time of year I may give Fritz Schimpf a try, I had this same issue from the Netherlands last year only much worse, it stayed in customs almost 3 weeks.

I did get a surprise today, it arrived early. Apparently the post office is sending some carriers out with only packages as that is all this young man had. I had never before seen him or his vehicle on this route. Our regular mail arrived near the usual time, about 3 hours after the packages.

Regards

Jeff

I did get a surprise today, it arrived early. Apparently the post office is sending some carriers out with only packages as that is all this young man had. I had never before seen him or his vehicle on this route. Our regular mail arrived near the usual time, about 3 hours after the packages.

Yes, a carrier showed up at 8, Monday morning. Saved me having to worry about being home later in the day to sign for it. This appears to be something new. They also now have carriers delivering on Sunday for Amazon.

I'd be willing to bet that any EF nib you get will write closer to a M, with a dry ink maybe an F. And that any line it produces will be dull and characterless on a par with a felt-tip. It's not as though Pelikan does much grooming to the nib point once the tipping is attached. Maybe they actually do fine tune their higher end nibs, I don't know. They certainly don't the 200s as far as I've seen.

Maybe you will like it. I just pegged you as appreciating what nibs were before irridium blobbed nibs became the norm. How far back do you have to go to get an actual good Pelikan nib? The 50s?

I have Pelikan 200s from the late 1990s and early 2000s that certainly have no blobbing and write as I expect a finer nib to write. My EF writes the same line as my vintage accountant fine pens that my late father used in his accounting practice in the 1940s.

Edited by Mary P

Mary Plante

My M200 Cognac - a fine, which I ordered from amazon but came from a Japanese seller, is quite fine. My perception is that this one has been at the narrow end of the fine range.

Is that because it was initially intended by Pelikan for the Japanese market or just luck of the draw? Who knows.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My M200 Cognac - a fine, which I ordered from amazon but came from a Japanese seller, is quite fine. My perception is that this one has been at the narrow end of the fine range.

Is that because it was initially intended by Pelikan for the Japanese market or just luck of the draw? Who knows.

I've been thinking the same. Pelikan has a huge customer base in Asia and their somewhat broad nibs really don't fit in with Asian writing styles.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I've been thinking the same. Pelikan has a huge customer base in Asia and their somewhat broad nibs really don't fit in with Asian writing styles.

I was surprised how fine it was. Hence the thought.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

My 200's EF is nice and a good EF.....in I have a couple '90's F nibs....in steel and gold nibbed Celebry pens. Those are the classic 200 width nibs, like the '90's M400 also....which I have in in M, like my W.German 200's OM....1/2 or more nib width narrower than modern.

My modern 200's nibs Amethyst and 215 seem to be the M's they are marked....semi or vintage nib widths.

A few years ago I had bought a modern cheap Reform set of pens, 2 x 1745, P120 & P-125.....three were nice normal narrow regular flex F's. One was EF.....none marked. I gave my godson all but the EF, which I kept for editing. The brown marbled 200 matches the EF line of the Reform.

My MB 322 nail is not comfortable and my Geha 790 EF is a maxi....and being a tad heavy handed still, it will write like an F unless I worry about it. I needed an excuse to buy a new pen.....the 1745 was suddenly, with out warning...too thin. :yikes: :P...........It does lack the balance of a 200/400.

Fritz Schimpf, did go through 8 EF nibs to pick the thinnest. :)

I'm not normally got to be on the skinny side of tolerance or Pilot because Sailor is a fat Japanese nib type...........I am satisfied....with a good editing EF.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.