New Pelikan M200 Brown-Marble Fountain Pen

Fritz Schimpf

Well, Dr Codfish, I've had my DeWalt bandsaw for about 20 years, so I've just about saved up for a new Pelikano Junior :-)

Most of the rest of my tools are antiques - Stanley and Record and Peugeot planes, a Unimat SL lathe, an anonyous milling table and a just acquired Peugeot combination that seems to include a circular saw, grinding wheel, and a few other useful things ... the latter cost 3 euros including its four stout wooden boxes as "we really want to get rid of it", and most of the planes cost a euro and a few hours of elbow grease and grinding. Alas, antiques come in interesting colours like black and grey. Maybe I should get some fluorescent paint and liven them up :-)

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jkingrph

• Runnin_Ute

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mmmm this is very nice, but must remind myself I need to sell some pens not buy more.

Must admit if I don't like the modern nibs, I just swap with one of my more vintage gold ones.

Which reminds me I must have some spare steel nibs somewhere just need to find them.

Andy

Here is a nice pic of the M200 along with its brethren. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbxhv84nIa5/?tagged=pelikan

Looks a lot like the Bayou minus the blue swirling.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

My M200 Brown-Marble arrived today. Absolutely stunning. The publicity pictures don't do it justice (I tried to take some pics and they are no better) The cap and blind cap are VERY, VERY dark brown. Probably the best looking M200 I have seen.

Peter

Gaaahhh, this is giving me envy and decision problems. I had it in my mind I would hold off and save for an M600 for my first (and likely only) Pelikan later down the road - but this looks so nice and at 1/3 the price...

~AK

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

I find the 200's regular flex springy nib to give a good ride................well some day you can buy a 200's nib for your 600. :P

It depends on what pens you now have........if you have only nails or semi-nails, you will need to lighten your Hand with the 200....not so with the semi-nail 600.

The 200 writes with a nice clean line....is still in size marked........where as the modern 400/600/800 are wider than vintage or semi-vintage.

The 600 is a well balanced posted pen, light and nimble with wider than standard width barrel that is not so wide as an 800....much less the huge 1000.

I like the 600's and there are so many beautiful ones.

You have to realize you spoke blasphemy :yikes: :angry: ...........one Pelikan :wacko: ... :lticaptd:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Gaaahhh, this is giving me envy and decision problems. I had it in my mind I would hold off and save for an M600 for my first (and likely only) Pelikan later down the road - but this looks so nice and at 1/3 the price...

~AK

M200 is the gateway pen for many of the accumulations and collections here. :lol:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Ordered my M200 Brown marble this morning. Looking forward to it's arrival. It will be M200 number three. The others are a blue marble old style and the Cognac.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Yay! My brown marble pen arrived today with my first Pelikan M400 (red stripes)!!! Im so in awwwww with them. Btw, this is my first post 😊

Cheers

Carolina

Sniffffff! Mine is not yet underway :crybaby: ...and I'm in Germany. :doh:

Red Stripped 400 along with the blue stripped ones are sharp looking pens. :thumbup:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sniffffff! Mine is not yet underway :crybaby: ...and I'm in Germany. :doh:

Red Stripped 400 along with the blue stripped ones are sharp looking pens. :thumbup:

I ordered mine from LCDC and hope it ships soon, so it does not get held up in Chicago customs which is horrible during the holidays.

I like all the striped pens except for the pink and white.

Regards

Jeff

I bought my M200 very recently. As It was ordered with a Fine nib and I was not sure how fine it will get, I ordered another XF nib unite.

Then it was very disappointing to find out both nib tips write the same "Pelikan Fine" size. :gaah:

Edited by Cjayant

Yay! My brown marble pen arrived today with my first Pelikan M400 (red stripes)!!! Im so in awwwww with them. Btw, this is my first post

Cheers

Carolina

Welcome SpringFairy! Very nice combo!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I bought my M200 very recently. As It was ordered with a Fine nib and I was not sure how fine it will get, I ordered another XF nib unite.

It was a very disappointing to find about both nib tips write the same "Pelikan Fine" size. :gaah:

I had the same experience only backwards - I bought my M200 with an ef nib then bought the nib unit alone for an f. Both nibs are pretty much identical. Not a big deal though as I'm guessing the extra nib will come in handy some day - or I may end up selling it.

TheRealMikeDr. :lol: I don't regret either. one day I'll buy an M400 with an italic cursive so I have a fine nib to change fo fine.

Cjayant,

I advise '50-65 semi-flex nib....in they are stubs already, and the semi-flex gives it good flair. Those then are line variation on demand, as a good poster stated.

Though with a modern nib making it a stub or CI will better a fat and blobby modern nib, giving you 100% always line variation....and a nib as wide as you wish. I had my fat and blobby BB made into a 1.0 stub...............near as good as my '54 semi-flex B. :)

In the semi-vintage regular flex makes a real clean line...even if I don't see why; you could stub or CI them. I don't see why, in you could buy a vintage stub nib easy enough.

I defiantly don't see doing that to a semi/maxi-semi-flex vintage nib.

Don't waste money buying or making a modern nib into oblique.....even semi-vintage in oblique is not worth buying, unless one is left eye dominate or a left hander. There is not enough line variation.

'50-65 era obliques are :notworthy1: :thumbup: :puddle: :drool: .

I have 16....some are 30 degree grinds instead of 15....could be they were made steeper in the fabled Corner Pen Shoppe's Back Room.

I have both 15&30 degree grinds in OBB, OB, OM and OF.....not all Pelikans of course. Three of my four Pelikan obliques are 15 degrees, one a pure signature pen, 500 with an OBBB maxi-semi-flex nib is 30 degrees. That one I think is factory....in that is a pure signature nib.