• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The # is nib size which is also part of the model number along with the tier or pen (usually 2) and filling system, for example 212 or 216.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The # is nib size which is also part of the model number along with the tier or pen (usually 2) and filling system, for example 212 or 216.

~ zaddick:

That's why this particular image was posted.

It illustrates the difference in size between the #2 and #4 Danish-made nibs of that era, more than half a century ago.

Thank you for your lucid explanation.

Tom K.

~ zaddick:

That's why this particular image was posted.

It illustrates the difference in size between the #2 and #4 Danish-made nibs of that era, more than half a century ago.

Thank you for your lucid explanation.

Tom K.

Yes there is a real size difference between #2 and #4

Edited by Cyrille

Really nice nibs and photo. What is the number inside the MB star on the nib? The size of the nib? Model of the pen? Other?

~ Cyrille:

Thank you. Both nibs are superb writers as EF points.

Despite their age of well over half a century, they perform with style and reliability.

The simplicity of the number within the outline of Montblanc's snow star is appealing.

They are both Danish-made Coral Red Montblancs, a #212 on the left and a Simplo #4 on the right.

I'm so pleased that you like it.

BTW: Congratulations to Belgium's outstanding team in the 2018 Russia FIFA World Cup!

Tom K.

~ zaddick:

Thank you for this helpful clarification.

farmdogfan had earlier explained this to me.

It's a useful size classification system.

Tom K.

Scratches, Micro-scratches, Scrapes and Marks on My Original Montblanc Fountain Pen

~ Earlier today zaddick opened a new thread called “A Life Well-Lived — Montblanc In Action”, showcasing marks on Montblanc fountain pens used as writers.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/337717-a-life-well-lived-montblancs-in-action/

It's an excellent idea, as many Montblanc fountain pens are workhorses rather than carefully preserved collectibles.

I posted a few images of my first Montblanc fountain pen, a late 1980s 149 M nib, which was received as a gift from a friend.

Here are more images of that trusty writer, showing evidence of use, none of which affect its excellent writing ability.

Tom K.

fpn_1530933389__what_are_a_few_scratches

What Are a Few Scratches Between Friends?

fpn_1530941650__battle_scars.jpg

Battle Scars

fpn_1530941041__after_decades_of_use.jpg

After Decades of Use

fpn_1530941083__clip_band.jpg

Clip Band

fpn_1530941133__germany.jpg

GERMANY

fpn_1530941190__clip.jpg

Clip

fpn_1530941227__ink_window.jpg

Ink Window

fpn_1530941277__no_149.jpg

No. 149

fpn_1530941331__feed.jpg

Feed

Edited by Tom Kellie

A Few Hand-held Close-up Images of the 2000 Writers Edition Schiller Bespoke Sketch Nib

fpn_1530943946__2000_we_schiller_bespoke

2000 Writers Edition Schiller Bespoke Sketch Nib

fpn_1530944226__clip_junction.jpg

Clip Junction

fpn_1530944270__piston_knob_decoration.j

Piston Knob Decorative Band

fpn_1530944322__pelargonium_bloom_and_be

Pelargonium Bloom and Bespoke Sketch Nib

~ Cyrille:

Thank you. Both nibs are superb writers as EF points.

Despite their age of well over half a century, they perform with style and reliability.

The simplicity of the number within the outline of Montblanc's snow star is appealing.

They are both Danish-made Coral Red Montblancs, a #212 on the left and a Simplo #4 on the right.

I'm so pleased that you like it.

BTW: Congratulations to Belgium's outstanding team in the 2018 Russia FIFA World Cup!

Tom K.

Thank you Tom. I live in Belgium but I'm French. Tuesday evening will be a very difficult moment...

Thank you Tom. I live in Belgium but I'm French. Tuesday evening will be a very difficult moment...

fpn_1530965973__versus.png

~ Cyrille:

Oh, my!

That's a no-lose and a no-win situation.

I’ll be thinking of you during the match.

Beer or Wine.

Both?

Tom K.

I hereby loan you the US colors so you can slink away in defeat with none the wiser. :P

fpn_1530965973__versus.png

~ Cyrille:

Oh, my!

That's a no-lose and a no-win situation.

I’ll be thinking of you during the match.

Beer or Wine.

Both?

Tom K.

Thanks Tom :) I don't like beer and drink very little wine :) Some rosé wine during summer and sometime white wine during the year, not really fan of red wine and alcohol in general.

Tom, I am still admiring the Paris FP; and now the Danish pens as well. You have assembled quite the collection!

Congratulations on completing a school year and for your personal progress with a residency permit. The Cabernet seems well deserved. :)

I have just finished a very good book called Cork (bleep). It is making me rethink the wine world and my intersection with it in terms of price points. It seem many California wines, under $20/bottle, are heavily engineered — leaving one to wonder if it is really wine.

Thanks Tom :) I don't like beer and drink very little wine :) Some rosé wine during summer and sometime white wine during the year, not really fan of red wine and alcohol in general.

~ Cyrille:

Oops! I chose the wrong symbols.

Poor thinking. Sorry about that.

At home I'm all tea with honey, lemon and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Occasional fruit juice, depending on the season.

The bottle of Chilean Leopard Cabernet Sauvignon in my house is the first alcohol of any kind in nearly one year.

What alternative gentle symbols of France and Belgium?

Maybe macarons vs chocolates?

Or Poodles vs Brussels Griffons?

In any case, the France vs Belgium match should be a classic.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Tom, I am still admiring the Paris FP; and now the Danish pens as well. You have assembled quite the collection!

Congratulations on completing a school year and for your personal progress with a residency permit. The Cabernet seems well deserved. :)

I have just finished a very good book called Cork (bleep). It is making me rethink the wine world and my intersection with it in terms of price points. It seem many California wines, under $20/bottle, are heavily engineered — leaving one to wonder if it is really wine.

~ Toll:

Thank you for your very kind remarks about the pens.

What Cyrille recently posted is also true about me: I write with pens I like, rather than collecting any particular series.

The assortment of Montblanc fountain pens on my writing desk bring good cheer to writing tasks.

Where I work and live there are a number of formidable barriers for “foreigners”, including obstacles to annual contract renewals.

That this contract was endorsed by various levels of officialdom exceeded my expectations. Hence a little something to celebrate.

The Chilean Leopard (my research area is leopards, which thrive in the forested mountains north of where I work) Cabernet Sauvignon is soft and mild.

My happiest memories of California wines are of (red) Zinfandels from Ridge and Ravenswood. They had both style and character.

Although decades have passed since I last enjoyed California sunshine, memories of fine Zinfandel still bring a smile.

Tom K.

Tom, are you a wildlife ecologist? I am a wildlife biologist by training — now doing policy work in DC — it was a former boss in a wildlife agency, upon one of my promotions, suggested I needed a fountain pen. That was 25 years ago — the first pen was a Cross Townsend — and the rest is history.