Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good morning, Yubi!

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

Montblanc Special Edition Meisterstück Classique M Nib “Les Splendeurs de Paris

~ The Montblanc fountain pens on my writing desk each have their own story. No two of them arrived via the same route.

Earlier this evening a package arrived from remotest southern China, between Laos and Myanmar, which had originated in Paris, France.

As ‘Les Bleus’ won a key match for France in the 2018 Russia FIFA World Cup this evening, it was especially nice to receive the package.

Most of the fountain pens used in my daily writing are 149s, therefore handling a pen with larger dimensions is second nature for me.

I’m 191 cm and 89 kg, with fairly large hands, therefore pens with girth, mass, and extended barrels are all comfortable to use.

Yet I’m also an avid user of smaller-sized Montblanc pens, including a cherished platinum Mozart EF and two Classique EFs.

Smaller, light-weight pens are especially comfortable for marking student research manuscripts, jotting marginalia in books and for note-taking in public venues.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed regular high-volume writing with the two Classique EFs, one in yellow gold and the other a 90th Anniversary pen.

They’re fitted with Montblanc converters, which have worked very well for me. Neither pen has ever experienced any technological issues, as they’re very well crafted.

The thread started by da vinci, “A Minor Collection of 144/145/Classique Sized Pens” has inspired me, as it reflects a deep love for such smaller-sized pens.

Over the past couple of years, when writing with the two Classique EFs in classrooms and in the field, I’ve thought to myself that it would be useful to have a Classique with a slightly larger nib for use as a note-taker.

What I had in mind was an M nib, as that would offer what I need for rapid notes in a variety of work-related situations.

Already writing with yellow gold and red gold Classiques, I regularly looked at the platinum Classique advertisement on the Montblanc China Web site.

Season after season, I came nearer and nearer to making the decision to order a platinum Classique M nib fountain pen, but deferred doing so as other pens of interest came along.

On 28 May, 2018 Memorexx replied to my question about the nib on his new 149. It was a Special Edition 149 Hamburg fountain pen.

His helpful reply inspired me to seek additional information about Montblanc pens honoring cities or buildings, as I’d never previously seen such pens.

A year-old thread called “G20 Summit 149” showed an image of the Elbphilharmonie 149. It also had posts mentioning a Paris pen, including links to French Web sites offering both the ballpoint and fountain pen versions.

Thanks to Cyrille’s sharing a link to a Paris pen and stationery store, I found that the Paris pen mentioned was exactly what I’d been seeking.

A Montblanc Meisterstück Special Edition called “Les Splendeurs de Paris”, it is a Classique with platinum-plated fittings, and a rhodium-plated 14K gold nib.

What makes it especially distinctive is that the nib is engraved with “Paris” but without the familiar “4810” found on many other nibs.

On the cap band silhouettes of the following Parisian landmarks are etched:

La Tour Eiffel

La Pyramide du Louvre

L’Arc de Triomphe

La Cathédrale Notre Dame

Le Sacré Coeur

It’s an M nib pen which uses standard Montblanc converters or cartridges. In short, exactly what I sought.

Paris has been the setting for many of the happiest times of my life. I’ve been very well-received by friends there, such that it’s never far from my heart.

With that background and motivation, the process of acquiring the pen began. After contacting the store, they explained that they only shipped within the European Union and a select few other places.

Neither the United States or China was an option. I therefore contacted FPN member and master photographer farmdogfan in Denmark, who readily agreed to receive the pen and reship it elsewhere.

There are carefully planned barriers set in place to make it exceedingly difficult for ordinary credit cards, from the area where I live, to purchase overseas goods.

Therefore for a couple of days it seemed unlikely that the transaction might be completed, for no more reason than interference with “foreign” transactions.

The stalemate was shattered when my long-time friend and former student at Peking University, QIU Wenhui, found a French botanical researcher who was headed for a brief trip to Paris.

Monsieur Uriel graciously agreed to purchase the pen in Paris and bring it back in his luggage. His kindness in doing so made possible the purchase and eliminated complex, drawn-out customs procedures for “foreign” parcels.

After his return from France, Monsieur Uriel passed the boxed pen to QIU Wenhui, who shipped it to a student here, who brought it to my apartment this evening.

The images below show the pen’s arrival, opening, features plus a handwriting sample. It arrived in brand new condition, well-wrapped, with a receipt discreetly included.

With the converter installed, it writes very well. It’s smooth, with a pleasing tautness about the entire pen suggestive of superb craftsmanship.

The joke was on me, as I'd purchased a converter from Montblanc China, but the pen came with a converter pre-installed. I now have a spare.

It’ll see much use in my work in the coming academic year. The pen's size and color are such that it’s unlikely to draw as much attention as larger models do.

I’m deeply grateful to all of those friends involved in this transaction.

Without their kind and capable assistance, I wouldn’t be enjoying such a distinctive tribute to Paris.

Tom K.

fpn_1530392872__splendeurs_de_paris.png

fpn_1530393133__delivery.jpg

Delivery

fpn_1530393134__within.jpg

Within

fpn_1530393228__basic_black.jpg

Basic Black

fpn_1530393238__special_edition.jpg

Special Edition

fpn_1530393307__labels.jpg

Labels

fpn_1530393374__contents.jpg

Contents

fpn_1530393482__les_splendeurs_de_paris.

Les Splendeurs de Paris

fpn_1530393526__nestled.jpg

Nestled

fpn_1530393874__black_on_black.jpg

Black on Black

fpn_1530393870__certificate.jpg

Certificate

fpn_1530393970__classique.jpg

Classique

fpn_1530393979__larc_de_triomphe.jpg

L’Arc de Triomphe

fpn_1530394067__la_cathdrale_notre_dame.

La Cathédrale Notre Dame

fpn_1530394085__paris.jpg

Paris

fpn_1530394193__classique_nibs.jpg

Classique Nibs

fpn_1530394224__trois.jpg

Trois

fpn_1530394291__paris_note.jpg

Excellent pictures Tom! Thanks so much.

p.s. Theo says "best to Yubi"

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

The jewels that sparkle the most brilliantly are rarely the largest or most famous. Enjoy your unique treasure.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I’m curious about the weights of your narrower pens, especially the 1266. Any chance you might borrow a kitchen scale?

fpn_1530522999__analytical_chemist_li_ch

Analytical Chemist LI Chuanlei

fpn_1530523049__june_2018_graduate_li_ch

June, 2018 Graduate LI Chuanlei

~ Ghost Plane:

It helps to know a research chemist.

My friend LI Chuanlei, 李传磊, from Gongqingcheng, Jiangxi Province, 共青城江西省, graciously let me use the analytical balance in his laboratory to weigh the 1266 OBBB, capped and uncapped.

Where we work, study and live it's the rainy season. An all-day torrential downpour shows no signs of diminishing. It was very nice of Chuanlei to meet me on such a day.

For purposes of comparison, four other pens were weighed, as shown in the images below.

Chuanlei has been the #1 member of the university's English Corner. An avid mountain climber, he has accomplished the very rare feat of graduating in three years. He'll begin graduate work in analytical chemistry in September at the University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing.

Of special note is that Chuanlei was with me during Zuji's final hours, caring for Zuji with compassion. He also assisted me in preparing Zuji's grave.

All of the pens shown are superb writers, although the 2000 Writers Edition Schiller Bespoke Sketch Nib is primarily used for sketches, rather than handwriting.

I've had no issues with writing using a smaller pen such as the 1266 OBBB or the recently acquired Platinum Classique “Les Splendeurs de Paris”.

Nonetheless, it bears noting that the 2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour stands out as an exceptionally comfortable writer, largely due to its mass.

The comparatively slender sterling silver 1266 OBBB is exceptionally well balanced, such that it's a pleasure in the hand, while the OBBB nib produces beautiful strokes.

Tom K.

fpn_1530524512__2001_poa_marquise_de_pom

2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour F Nib

fpn_1530524576__yellow_gold_149_bespoke_

Yellow Gold 149 Bespoke Small Signature Nib

fpn_1530524642__2000_we_schiller_bespoke

2000 Writers Edition Friedrich Schiller Bespoke Sketch Nib

fpn_1530524745__classique_platinum_les_s

Platinum Classique “Les Splendeurs de Paris” M Nib

fpn_1530524834__sterling_silver_1266_obb

Sterling Silver 1266 OBBB Nib

fpn_1530524884__uncapped_sterling_silver

Uncapped Sterling Silver 1266 OBBB Nib

Smart, generous of spirit and good looking. Does Mr. Li perhaps have an older brother or uncle who is single? Ahem! :doh: I forget myself in the glories of pens. Yes. Right. Pens. :blush:

Please thank your research assistant. This actually is turning out to be a surprising element in my hypothesis of writing comfort. Just as people speak of the triad of pen, ink and paper all contributing to the writing experience, I am slowly discovering weight, diameter and length/center of gravity seem to be the three contributing to comfort for extensive use. I have a sub-set of theory regarding ratio of nib size to these factors, which is difficult to test since I am not artistically inclined and do not sketch or use finer-nabbed pens.

Are finer nibs more comfortable or responsive for extensive lengths of times in lighter/smaller pens? I'm thinking in terms of an 8 hour workday of extensive, consistent writing as opposed to quick dabs of signatures or the occasional meeting note here and there.

For extended use over the course of a day, I find I lean toward the girth of the 149-style bodies, weights above the 32g of the 149. That's about the lightest I find comfortable for lengthy sessions and even then, I tend toward cramp near the end of the day, hence my investment in the Skeletons other than their aesthetics. I have an Ancora Neptune stub that weighs in at a whopping 80g and it's one of the pens that inspired my forays into the Skeletons/metal/overlays.

I'm curious if others report similar findings. I know we have a light pen contingent here, but I wonder if the shirt pocket/signature/quick jot contingent perhaps skews the data toward intermittent light usage and not actually filling page after page for hours on end.

GP - I think you have to add writing mechanics into the mix. A person who is a finger writer will struggle with heavier pens as they do not have the same ability to settle the nib as with arm writiers. I am more of a finger writer in my cramped quarters at work and home so lots of weight will eventually becoem tiresome as I will be wrestling the pen around. some can be mitigated with grip location, but not all.

I postulate many of the more intense finger writiers and "death grippers" prefer smaller pens with tiny nib points as it is easier to manage the writing process, especially for printing. I personally prefer broader nibs as the increased ink flow makes for a smoother process in cursive writing.

The aspect of flow is also interesting as I find i can live witha relatively wet nib as long as I can write in cursive. If I print i do prefer less flow as I have to write slower and ink can puddle a bit.

I think it may be dificult to narrow to just weight, girth and balance although I agreee these are very important.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Good point! Another variable or two to toss in the mix.

At least I'm narrowing down my parameters when contemplating adding to the family.

fpn_1530522999__analytical_chemist_li_ch

Analytical Chemist LI Chuanlei

fpn_1530523049__june_2018_graduate_li_ch

June, 2018 Graduate LI Chuanlei

~ Ghost Plane:

It helps to know a research chemist.

My friend LI Chuanlei, 李传磊, from Gongqingcheng, Jiangxi Province, 共青城江西省, graciously let me use the analytical balance in his laboratory to weigh the 1266 OBBB, capped and uncapped.

Where we work, study and live it's the rainy season. An all-day torrential downpour shows no signs of diminishing. It was very nice of Chuanlei to meet me on such a day.

For purposes of comparison, four other pens were weighed, as shown in the images below.

Chuanlei has been the #1 member of the university's English Corner. An avid mountain climber, he has accomplished the very rare feat of graduating in three years. He'll begin graduate work in analytical chemistry in September at the University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing.

Of special note is that Chuanlei was with me during Zuji's final hours, caring for Zuji with compassion. He also assisted me in preparing Zuji's grave.

All of the pens shown are superb writers, although the 2000 Writers Edition Schiller Bespoke Sketch Nib is primarily used for sketches, rather than handwriting.

I've had no issues with writing using a smaller pen such as the 1266 OBBB or the recently acquired Platinum Classique “Les Splendeurs de Paris”.

Nonetheless, it bears noting that the 2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour stands out as an exceptionally comfortable writer, largely due to its mass.

The comparatively slender sterling silver 1266 OBBB is exceptionally well balanced, such that it's a pleasure in the hand, while the OBBB nib produces beautiful strokes.

Tom K.

fpn_1530524512__2001_poa_marquise_de_pom

2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour F Nib

fpn_1530524576__yellow_gold_149_bespoke_

Yellow Gold 149 Bespoke Small Signature Nib

fpn_1530524642__2000_we_schiller_bespoke

2000 Writers Edition Friedrich Schiller Bespoke Sketch Nib

fpn_1530524745__classique_platinum_les_s

Platinum Classique “Les Splendeurs de Paris” M Nib

fpn_1530524834__sterling_silver_1266_obb

Sterling Silver 1266 OBBB Nib

fpn_1530524884__uncapped_sterling_silver

Uncapped Sterling Silver 1266 OBBB Nib

I do not like to say that, but... They should be taught how to behave to an analytical balance. I had worked in chemical lab more than fourty years and I had not ever seen a balance in such a sloppy condition.... Florenz Sartorius would cry...

Edited by Zdenek

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

I am so glad Mr. Li was so supportive of you in Zuji's last hours, and after. You have a wonderful friend.

I love my MBs, but they don't move me like Zuji and Yubi!

Edited by empliau

I am so glad Mr. Li was so supportive of you in Zuji's last hours, and after. You have a wonderful friend.

I love my MBs, but they don't move me like Zuji and Yubi!

Amen!

I’m inclined to cut the scales a little slack. Students can be filthy creatures until they learn the cost of equipment. I cleaned many a bench behind the party animals in order to get my own work done.

I do not like to say that, but... They should be taught how to behave to an analytical balance. I had worked in chemical lab more than fourty years and I had not ever seen a balance in such a sloppy condition.... Florenz Sartorius would cry...

Based on how clean the faceplate is, I would say the inside of the analytical balance was exposed to corrosive samples (ie. acidic or caustic) which caused rust spots. It doesn't appear to be a case of sloppy housecleaning. If it was, you would see clutter and sample powder around the analytical balance work area. As long as the chemist verifies every calendar quarter with a set of Type 1 ASTM weights, it shouldn't be a problem. We had an analytical balance that was specifically set up to handle the nasty crappy samples. And it was meticulously cleaned at the end of each shift. Still developed all kinds of rust inside just like the photos.

All the Best.

Edited by JungleJim

Based on how clean the faceplate is, I would say the inside of the analytical balance was exposed to corrosive samples (ie. acidic or caustic) which caused rust spots. It doesn't appear to be a case of sloppy housecleaning. If it was, you would see clutter and sample powder around the analytical balance work area. As long as the chemist verifies every calendar quarter with a set of Type 1 ASTM weights, it shouldn't be a problem. We had an analytical balance that was specifically set up to handle the nasty crappy samples. And it was meticulously cleaned at the end of each shift. Still developed all kinds of rust inside just like the photos.

All the Best.

I accept and understand, ... but it is a part and joy of the chemistry profession to find a suitable manipulation technique to load the environmet minimally.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill