Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

Montblanc Sterling Silver 1266 with a White Gold OBBB Nib

~ The annual Summer reading box which arrived from the United States carried both books and pens.

Not ‘pen’ but ‘pens’ in the plural, as another pen was packed with the Danish-made Coral Red Simplo “4” EF.

**********************************************************************************************************

Nearly four years ago I was a guest at a Montblanc dinner in a Beijing hotel, at which senior Montblanc executives were present.

The discussion veered toward long-ago mix-ups, both legendary and genuine. Having limited knowledge of older models, the discussion meant little to me.

Among several examples they brought up, one was a model where the number on the cap lacked a digit to distinguish it from another model.

Such an arcane point would have been lost from memory had not I heard “OBBB” mentioned.

“What?” It seemed that both OBB and OBBB pens of that model had been shipped with a cap which was otherwise fine, but ought to have had a 4-digit number instead of the 3-digit number it had.

After hesitantly asking for further details, I was told about a pen originally released around 1970 called the 121. A version with a sterling silver overlay was marketed as the 1266.

As I’d never heard of it, I was eager to learn more. One kind individual explained that the 1266 had a Rhodium-plated Sterling Silver overlay and a relatively colorless ink window. The nib was 18K white gold marked with 750.

The pen was chased, had the 925 silver hallmark on the clip, the cap, the barrel and the piston knob. Best of all, a small number of OBBBs had been made, which were admired for their crispness of stroke and smoothness of ink flow.

The downside was that it was a model long out of production, only occasionally appearing on the market, with OBBBs as rare as in other older models.

After hearing that, I returned home with the a 1266 OBBB spinning through my idle daydreams.

Kind friends and former students facilitate nearly all of my overseas fountain pen or ink purchases.

Accordingly I sent an e-mail to several individuals describing the pen, asking them to let me know if they ever learned of one offered for sale.

The years passed by and I forgot about the 1266 OBBB, as other OBBBs came to my writing desk as well as various outstanding Montblanc pens in other nib sizes.

Less than two months ago an e-mail arrived with the news that a 1266 OBBB was available. The pen was in excellent working order, had a colorless ink window, and the cap had 126 instead of 1266, which underscored authenticity rather than indicating a marriage of parts from different models.

My friend had dip-tested the nib. The image of the nib’s writing was sufficient to convince me that it would be a welcome addition to my writing desk.

The image series below present the pen’s many distinctive features. All is as originally described to me without any flaws when writing.

Of the five OBBBs on my writing desk, it’s by far the smoothest writer. The crispness with which it lays down strokes or curves is a pleasing quality.

The pen is small enough to be moderately discreet in a public setting, enabling me to write with an OBBB nib when a larger pen might not be ideal.

Despite the pen’s modest scale, its weight is such that it’s comfortable to hold. The piston operation is smooth and the cap goes on without any effort.

Had I not heard it discussed years ago, with OBBB mentioned, I’d never have sought it. I’m delighted to have it on my writing desk for use this Summer.

Tom K.

fpn_1529695280__obbb_carrier.jpg

OBBB Carrier

fpn_1529695336__pen_tube.jpg

Pen Tube

fpn_1529696306__the_initial_glimpse.jpg

The Initial Glimpse

fpn_1529696348__chased_sterling_silver.j

Chased Sterling Silver

fpn_1529696385__a_silver_obbb.jpg

A Silver OBBB

fpn_1529696426__emblematic.jpg

Emblematic

fpn_1529696466__uncapped.jpg

Uncapped

fpn_1529696526__white_gold_lightning.jpg

White Gold Lightning

fpn_1529696565__inkster.jpg

Inkster

fpn_1529696601__white_gold_scalpel.jpg

Scalpel in White Gold

fpn_1529696642__silver_hallmark_and_ink_

Silver Hallmark and Ink Window

fpn_1529696717__one_of_four_silver_hallm

One of Four Silver Hallmarks

fpn_1529696761__dark_stars.jpg

Dark Stars

fpn_1529696805__predator_when_inked.jpg

Predator When Inked

fpn_1529696847__geometric_elegance.jpg

Geometric Elegance

fpn_1529697583__piston_knob.jpg

Piston Knob

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

fpn_1529697622__cap.jpg

Cap

fpn_1529697655__cap_band.jpg

Cap Band

fpn_1529697690__montblanc_duck.jpg

Montblanc Duck

fpn_1529697733__writers_rapier.jpg

Writer's Rapier

fpn_1529697778__cross_purposes.jpg

Cross Purposes

fpn_1529697818__germany.jpg

Germany

fpn_1529697850__colossus.jpg

Colossus

fpn_1529697883__obbb_jazz.jpg

OBBB Jazz

fpn_1529697919__its_dlovely.jpg

It's D'Lovely

fpn_1529697962__obbb_nib_feed_cap_snow_s

OBBB Nib, Feed, Cap Snow Star

fpn_1529698017__montblanc_hallmarked_in_

Montblanc Hallmarked in Sterling Silver

fpn_1529698075__matching_pattern.jpg

Matching Pattern

fpn_1529698110__nebula.jpg

Nebula

fpn_1529698140__ag_obbb.jpg

Ag OBBB

fpn_1529698173__silvershine.jpg

Silvershine

fpn_1529698205__translucent_ink_window.j

Translucent Ink Window

fpn_1529698244__1266_handwriting_sample.

After 3 months waiting, I finally received my WE Antoine Saint-Exupéry back with a beautiful OBB nib! Originally, I got this pen from the local MB Boutique with a medium nib, it was a great writer, but after giving it a great deal of thought I decided to get something a little bit more special and personal. This is the first time that I decide to get advantage of the free nib exchange service that Montblanc offers for a few weeks after purchasing the pen. My only other referent to wider Montblanc nibs is a WE Edgar A Poe that I bought second hand and it had an oblique broad nib, but it seems it was grinded by an independent nibmaster, so I wanted to get an original MB oblique double broad, and I was impressed with the results. Im including a few pictures that show the new shape of the nib and a writing sample.

One of those pictures is actually a little blurry, however I wanted to still post it, as you know, this nib shows the star that Saint-Exupéry draw in Le Petit Prince, and with the ink that I had (MB Elixir Colorist Pourpre) the star kept the burgundy color of the ink. I hope you like them.

IMG_0811.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

IMG_0814.jpg

Beautiful!!!

I like coral pens, but the nib on that 1266 is a stunner. This summer box from the states should be called the box of wonders! Treasure from a bygone era.

Congratulations again on twould great finds. Put me at the front of the line should you want to rehome that 1266.

And get some of these photos onto the broadside thread please and thank you. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I'm quietly celebrating the Donna Leon novel along with that O3B wonder. :wub: Love those books and many more to go over many summers. :bunny01:

I like coral pens, but the nib on that 1266 is a stunner. This summer box from the states should be called the box of wonders! Treasure from a bygone era.

Congratulations again on twould great finds. Put me at the front of the line should you want to rehome that 1266.

~ zaddick:

I'm so pleased that you like the OBBB nib.

It's a writer's writer.

I'll definitely post a few select images in your wonderful “Welcome to the Broad Side” thread.

This Summer's annual box of wonders was especially lovely.

Tom K.

I'm quietly celebrating the Donna Leon novel along with that O3B wonder. :wub: Love those books and many more to go over many summers. :bunny01:

~ Ghost Plane:

You noticed.

Donna Leon's novels are an annual joy. I've read all of them twice.

After multiple stays in Venice, Italy, I find her insightful, compassionate writing takes me back.

Plus, the Italian cookery mentioned in every book is a joy in and of itself.

For a number of years I've enjoyed reading a high proportion of books by women who are authors from various nations.

That's broadened my narrow perspectives.

I've even looked at the WE Woolf fountain pen, feeling that it fills a gap. The Marilyn Monroe also does, but somehow it doesn't suit my writing desk.

BTW: Nebula Award winning science fiction novelist Jack McDevitt is a long-time friend.

The OBBB nib on the 1266...it's as good as it gets. Almost like the offspring of an OBBB and a Cursive Italic.

Yubi and I are feeling blessed this Summer, and wish you health and happiness!

Tom K.

It looks lovely and crisp.

~ Uncial:

The crispness was apparent from the moment it was first inked.

Although it wasn't originally marketed as such, there's a whiff of Cursive Italic when writing with it.

It's an extraordinary writer for its uncanny combination of smoothness and sensitive feedback.

Not a wet writer, it lays down ink that's just enough yet never too much.

Experimenting with it to see how small it might legibly write, it turns out to be a delightfully versatile nib.

Once again Montblanc quality has surprised me.

Tom K.

Tom--

Thanks so much for the lovely pictures of your 1266 OBBB. I'm very happy to hear that the 126 designation on the cap is authentic, since mine is labeled identically. I had thought when I bought it that it was a marriage, but the fit and finish were so perfect that I should have known it was simply an error. Everything you have said about your pen applies to mine as well, even though it only has an OBB nib. We are certainly privileged to write with these rare prizes.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Tom--

Thanks so much for the lovely pictures of your 1266 OBBB. I'm very happy to hear that the 126 designation on the cap is authentic, since mine is labeled identically. I had thought when I bought it that it was a marriage, but the fit and finish were so perfect that I should have known it was simply an error. Everything you have said about your pen applies to mine as well, even though it only has an OBB nib. We are certainly privileged to write with these rare prizes.

~ Jay:

You have a 1266 OBB?

Great! You must surely have experienced the superb writing quality of the nib.

We’re indeed privileged to own these exceptional designs, especially with the larger nibs.

Yes. The 126 on the cap ring isn’t a marriage, but rather a long ago oversight which was largely restricted to what were regarded as being the rarer nib sizes.

Also the somewhat colorless ink window indicates the real McCoy, as opposed to yellow-tinged ink windows used in other models in the line, without the rhodium-plated sterling silver overlay.

The 1266 on my desk was sold in 1970, meaning that it's a couple of years away from the half century mark.

Relative to far more venerable Montblancs often presented in the FPN Montblanc Forum, it's not vintage, but it is an older model.

The quality of the chased sterling silver overlay, the simplicity of the geometry, the excellent piston knob, the two Montblanc snow stars, the snazzy oval feed — it's a stunning pen.

That an OBB and an OBBB nib were crafted back then for such discreetly elegant pens reflects an openness to nibs of character.

Thank you for letting me know that you, too, share in the pleasure of a 1266.

Tom K.

"Predator When Inked"

YES!!!

Beautiful turn of phrase highlighting a stunner of a pen

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

fpn_1529773301__20180621_130919.jpg

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

"Predator When Inked"

YES!!!

Beautiful turn of phrase highlighting a stunner of a pen

~ Shannon:

Ha Ha! Thank you for your nice comment!

It's truly a remarkable writer, with a nib that's unlike anything I've ever used.

The sleekly elegant design is both classical and refreshingly modern in an uncluttered style.

I love it, so feel glad to share its beauty through images in the Montblanc Forum.

Tom K.

fpn_1529773301__20180621_130919.jpg

~ Shannon:

That's an especially nice post, both for the handwriting and for the ink. Thank you so much for posting it here.

I've never found any Pelikan ink where I work and live, but two weeks ago finally obtained a 30 ml. bottle of Pelikan 4001 Königsblau/Royal Blue.

Your Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black looks great in the handwriting sample. It shades nicely, which I especially admire.

The 145 B nib is a winner! It's no secret that I'm a big fan of the Classique 145 size as a daily writer.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/267215-a-minor-collection-of-144145classique-sized-pens/page-1

da vinci's thread, “A Minor Collection of 144/145/Classique-Sized Pens” is a pick-me-up every time that I revisit it.

The two Classiques on my desk are both EF nibs. They are such wonderful writers. I love using them in the classroom and during meetings.

One is yellow gold and the other is a 90th Anniversary red gold nib. If a platinum 145 arrived, I'd want a wider nib for taking notes.

Your 145 B is an inspiration. That you like it shows in the handwriting sample.

BTW: I love the sketch of a vine in the upper left-hand corner. I may have to try that, as it's an effective design.

Happy writing with your 145 B!

Tom K.

~ zaddick:

It's the first and only 750 white gold nib on my writing desk.

Several local friends have commented on the nib, liking the overall look.

Writing with white gold is a pleasing sensation.

It's discreet, as is the pen, due to its size and the chased sterling silver overlay.

The more its used as a writer, the more I like it.

I understand why jmccarty3 likes his 1266 OBB nib pen.

It may not be as well known as other esteemed older models, but the 1266 is a terrific exemplar of Montblanc quality from nearly half a century ago, when I was in high school.

BTW: I haven't forgotten about posting photos in the “Welcome to the Broad Side” thread. I'm waiting for certain local “foreign” Internet issues to be resolved.

Tom K.

Wonderful pen!

First generation pen (see nib unit and metal breather hole).

Love how every part shows a hallmark :-)

But not a white gold nib; it‘s a rhodium plated yellow gold nib.

Also the sterling silver body and cap is completely rhodium plated. Some pens show wear to the plating.

Cheers

Michael

Wonderful pen!

First generation pen (see nib unit and metal breather hole).

Love how every part shows a hallmark :-)

But not a white gold nib; it‘s a rhodium plated yellow gold nib.

Also the sterling silver body and cap is completely rhodium plated. Some pens show wear to the plating.

~ Michael R.:

Thank you so much for your very kind remarks.

It's truly a remarkable pen which writes very well.

Like jmccarty3, who has a 1266 OBB, I've enjoyed the smooth writing.

For a relatively small pen, the weight is nicely balanced. It doesn't feel flimsy or lightweight.

It's a pleasure to use, providing strokes of distinction. There'll be notes written with it and posted in FPN in the future.

Tom K.

After 3 months waiting, I finally received my WE Antoine Saint-Exupéry back with a beautiful OBB nib! Originally, I got this pen from the local MB Boutique with a medium nib, it was a great writer, but after giving it a great deal of thought I decided to get something a little bit more special and personal. This is the first time that I decide to get advantage of the free nib exchange service that Montblanc offers for a few weeks after purchasing the pen. My only other referent to wider Montblanc nibs is a WE Edgar A Poe that I bought second hand and it had an oblique broad nib, but it seems it was grinded by an independent nibmaster, so I wanted to get an original MB oblique double broad, and I was impressed with the results. I’m including a few pictures that show the new shape of the nib and a writing sample.

One of those pictures is actually a little blurry, however I wanted to still post it, as you know, this nib shows the star that Saint-Exupéry draw in Le Petit Prince, and with the ink that I had (MB Elixir Colorist Pourpre) the star kept the burgundy color of the ink. I hope you like them.

~ crod:

Thank you for posting the very nice images of the WE Antoine Saint-Exupéry OBB nib.

It's gorgeous. The Montblanc Elixir Colorist Pourpre ink looks lovely in the handwriting sample.

It's truly a special pen, nib and ink.

May it bring you much writing pleasure in the years to come.

Tom K.