Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

Hello Tom and others, Thank you, Tom, for the nib drawing. Many thanks too for the continued nib photos which are truly remarkable. My humble contribution is the quartet of favorites below. All are from the late 1970s: two-tone, 14C nibs. Bottom to top: EF, F, M, B. They are among my favorite writers.

fpn_1510997911__barrys_quartet.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now that I've discovered 149s I'm obsessed! Eeeek. Would it be crazy to have a 149 in each of the different nib sizes? It would, right???

Now that I've discovered 149s I'm obsessed! Eeeek. Would it be crazy to have a 149 in each of the different nib sizes? It would, right???

~ yeepers:

Distinguished 149 expert Barry Gabay generously posted images of four of his favorite writers on the preceding page — EF, F, M and B.

Those are not his only 149s. Knowledgable Bay Area Montblanc expert zaddick has numerous 149s in his stable at any one moment.

“Crazy”?

Did you think that we were level-headed, prudent, “less is more” types?

A 149 in each size, comparable to what Barry has shown, sounds terrific!

Then again, this forum and this thread isn't exactly known for its restraint.

My avatar is labelled EEF to OBBB for good reason — I like all sizes.

We may be ‘lolo’ but we're happy!

Your spirit brightens this thread, stirring thoughts of adding new 149s!

Tom K.

You asked that question in here? :rolleyes:

Why no, not at all. In fact, we all aspire to have that line on our desks some day... what would be crazy would be wanting one of each nib size in each finish. That would be crazy.

:P

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I have five 149s, ranging from EF to OBBB, but that relegates me to amateur insanity status compared to some others. :rolleyes:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

No, it's not crazy because it's a 149 :)

Quick poll.....all 149s or mix it up with other pens?

Variety is the spice of life. To have only one model of pen would be to miss the joys of discovery. However, feel free to think of 149s like you favorite food - no reason not to overdose on what you like best.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Does the 149 come in an EEF?

Stock - no. But it can be ordered through the bespoke program or you can have one ground.

Nope. I am one hard to find size away. OF is the only one I don't have and I don't know when they stopped making it, maybe in the 1960s or 1970s. OF and BBB are the hardest to find and are no longer available new.

You can also collect all the various nib types, feeds, body types, specialty nibs (anniversary, different buildings or events, etc). This is without even going into the skeleton, solid gold, and solid platinum 149 pens.

So if you mean the 9 production nib sizes currently available in plain, black resin 149 pens, then this can seem almost reasonable. :)

Edited by zaddick

Here's how I've been enjoying my 146 Sterling Silver Solitaire EF today.

fpn_1511081838__mb_solitaire_1.jpg

fpn_1511081868__mb_solitaire_2.jpg

fpn_1511081897__mb_solitaire_3.jpg

fpn_1511081958__mb_solitaire_4.jpg

fpn_1511081990__mb_solitaire_5_and_burgu

Like a fine red wine, MB Burgundy Red, one of my favorite inks these days.

Edited by max dog

Quick poll.....all 149s or mix it up with other pens?

I'm a "mix it up" guy... of my very modest 20 MB collection, half are 146 and 149 sized pens. Enjoy the quest!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Here's how I've been enjoying my 146 Sterling Silver Solitaire EF today.

Like a fine red wine, MB Burgundy Red, one of my favorite inks these days.

fpn_1511105073__burgundy.jpg

fpn_1511105073__burgundy.jpg

Thank you Tom for the kind and encouraging words and awesome drawing. :) :)

Edited by max dog

Don't hate me because one of the nibs isn't a MB! But aren't they both just lovely?? :D

Ah, the 1.5 is lovely!

~ What a pair!

Yours truly has never held a Pelikan Italic nib.

It's gorgeous! After straining my eyes, I wasn't able to determine what color the pen barrel might be.

Doesn't matter. It's a beauty, with ink on the nib, showing recent use. That's especially nice to see.

The Montblanc nib is a great contrast on the dried starfish.

Thank you for posting such a cool image!

The starfish makes me think of home. (I'm from the Hanalei side of the North Shore of Kauai...a small community near Ke’e Beach called Haena)

Tom K.