• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will indeed have twin Twains when mine gets back. Some pens I love so much that I rather have two. I see a lot of potential in the Mark Twain design & Thomas Mann for that matter .. my first Twain came with a chipped snowcap and so I am hoping for MB to replace it when doing the nib exchange to EF.

~ nishant:

I'm interested to know about your pairs of pens you love.

I hope that the chipped snow star is repaired during the EF nib exchange.

When someone mentions pens that they admire, e.g. the Twain and the Mann, it motivates me to consider them.

Thank you for telling us. May the Twain EF nib be a valued writer on your desk.

Tom K.

Just picked up my nib exchange :)

~ Memorexx:

Thank you for the handwriting sample with Swan Illusion ink.

Your BB nib writes such beautiful lines.

The expressive quality of the writing is pleasing to the eye.

May I please ask what nib that might be?

I'm inexperienced with regard to the full range of Montblanc nibs.

Is that a rope design across the top of the nib?

Tom K.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all (especially Tom for starting this thread) for all the knowledge you’ve been gracious enough to share. I was into fountain pens ~12 years ago (primarily MB) and stepped away from them a few years ago (they weren’t widely used at work and it was just easier to grab a random pen for notes). Over the last couple months I’ve been dusting off my collection (so to speak - I made sure to clean and properly store them :-)) and read through this whole thread over the last week or so. I greatly enjoyed it, and wanted to convey my gratitude.

I’m hoping to participate as well, though I’ve of course still got a long way to go before understanding all the MB ins and outs to the same degree as all of you.

Thanks again!

P.S. Tom, I’ve got two cockapoos (one completely calm and one that is very active - both very loving) and love seeing the pictures of Yubi!

~ tpsfp:

Yubi sends his tail-wagging best wishes to your cockapoos!

He's an extraordinarily affectionate puppy. With him in the home, there's never any feeling of loneliness.

You're most heartily welcomed to Fountain Pen Network, to the Montblanc Forum, and to this thread.

Whichever Montblanc fountain pens are on your writing desk, I hope that they provide much enjoyment to you.

If you ever feel comfortable in doing so, an image or two of your favorite Montblanc pens would be a delight to see.

Thank you for your kind, thoughtful words.

Tom K.

1973 — Those Were the Days

OBBB and OF Nibs as Standard Options

fpn_1527427041__dd.png

fpn_1527427243__cc.png

fpn_1527427277__bb.png

fpn_1527427310__aa.png

Edited by Tom Kellie

~ Several fountain pen friends in Asia have mentioned seeing fountain pens from more than forty years ago with OF, OBB and OBBB nibs of outstanding quality.

They described butter-smooth OBB nibs and OF nibs which were springy. That OBBB nibs were an option for more than 149s was an especially appealing reality.

A couple of years ago I read that jmccarty3 had a 1266 with a OBB nib which he liked, and _InkyFingers also mentioned a 1266.

Such older pens have a special charm. Although my writing hand is fairly large and I'm accustomed to writing with larger pens, smaller pens are also comfortable for me.

The more discreet look of certain older models has its value, even if it's in a sterling silver overlay like the 1266. Such a sleekly elegant design.

In my dreams: “Montblanc Announces OBBBs for the Masses!”.

Tom K.

~ Memorexx:

Thank you for the handwriting sample with Swan Illusion ink.

Your BB nib writes such beautiful lines.

The expressive quality of the writing is pleasing to the eye.

May I please ask what nib that might be?

I'm inexperienced with regard to the full range of Montblanc nibs.

Is that a rope design across the top of the nib?

Tom K.

Hi Tom,

of course :) It's a special Edition. 149 Meisterstück Hamburg Edition. The rope symbolizes our harbor and under the rope is a castle. The "Hamburg".

This edition is only available in the Hamburg Montblanc Boutique.

It's basically a platinum version Pen with a special nib design. We have the Elphilharmonie version here as well. thats a rose gold version with a special nib and a big engraving in the cap

In my dreams: “Montblanc Announces OBBBs for the Masses!”.

Tom K.

A dream of Mao Tse Tung was: "We are obliged to organize Masses." :)

fpn_1527427277__bb.png

Tom, what is the nib U?

Edited by Zdenek

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Tom, what is the nib U?

~ Zdenek:

I've asked three friends, none of whom knew.

Most Montblanc collectors I know either collect rather old pens, or, the most recent models.

Somehere I've seen “U nib” explained, but I neglected to note down the information.

My careless mistake.

Interesting that “U nibs” were offered for the smaller models, but not for the 146 or 149.

Hmm...

“U nib” = Unexplained? Unusual? Unfinished? Unique? Unexceptional? Ugly? University Student? Useless?

As it's likely an abbreviation for a nib term in Deutsch, my clumsy guesses in English are unlikely to be of any use.

If you or anyone else finds out, please post the information in this thread. Thank you.

Tom K.

Hi Tom,

of course :) It's a special Edition. 149 Meisterstück Hamburg Edition. The rope symbolizes our harbor and under the rope is a castle. The "Hamburg".

This edition is only available in the Hamburg Montblanc Boutique.

It's basically a platinum version Pen with a special nib design. We have the Elphilharmonie version here as well. thats a rose gold version with a special nib and a big engraving in the cap

~ Memorexx:

Thank you so much for explaining the background of your very special BB nib.

If it's ever convenient and comfortable for you, may I please ask for a photo of the full “Hamburg Special Edition” nib?

It would be a treasure to have such an image in this thread, as that's a nib which is seldom seen.

*********************************************************************************************

After reading the information which you kindly shared, I looked for further recent examples of Montblanc pens commemorating features of cities.

This is a topic far from my experience, therefore I've been ineffective in uncovering much of interest.

Following are a few models about which I've known little or nothing.

1. Montblanc Meisterstück Les Splendeurs de Paris

2. Montblanc Meisterstück 149 Elbphilharmonie

3. Montblanc Meisterstück 149 Hamburg

4. Montblanc Meisterstück 149 Fall of the Berlin Wall

5. Montblanc Meisterstück 149 Teatro Alla Scala

The first pen appears to be a cartridge/converter of Classique-size.

The fourth pen is red gold.

I appreciate your describing your nib, Memorexx, as it opened the door to knowing about these other special edition pens.

Tom K.

~ Axis:

Is that the Johannes Kepler High Pede Serpentari Limited Edition 39?

If so, it's a great honor to see it posted here.

Thank you very much for sharing it. The exquisite craftsmanship exceeds any pen that I've ever seen.

The image showing the side view of the sapphire is especially impressive.

As one who has loved astronomy for over half a century, your pen has my highest admiration.

Tom K.

~ Zdenek:

I've asked three friends, none of whom knew.

Most Montblanc collectors I know either collect rather old pens, or, the most recent models.

Somehere I've seen “U nib” explained, but I neglected to note down the information.

My careless mistake.

Interesting that “U nibs” were offered for the smaller models, but not for the 146 or 149.

Hmm...

“U nib” = Unexplained? Unusual? Unfinished? Unique? Unexceptional? Ugly? University Student? Useless?

As it's likely an abbreviation for a nib term in Deutsch, my clumsy guesses in English are unlikely to be of any use.

If you or anyone else finds out, please post the information in this thread. Thank you.

Tom K.

Me too have read a notice on U nib. I don't remember where.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

~ Memorexx:

If it's ever convenient and comfortable for you, may I please ask for a photo of the full “Hamburg Special Edition” nib?

It would be a treasure to have such an image in this thread, as that's a nib which is seldom seen.

*********************************************************************************************

After reading the information which you kindly shared, I looked for further recent examples of Montblanc pens commemorating features of cities.

This is a topic far from my experience, therefore I've been ineffective in uncovering much of interest.

I appreciate your describing your nib, Memorexx, as it opened the door to knowing about these other special edition pens.

Tom K.

Tom,

There is at least another one in more: Meisterstück Special Edition 149 Taipei 101

~ Memorexx:

Tom K.

here you go :)

I don't have the Elphi pen though. The nib is really nice of that pen, but the cap engraving is kind of ugly

Here is a link of the Elbphi pen

http://www.montblanc-schreibartikel.de/index.php?a=2391

oh and the Berlin pen was only available in the Berlin store.

It's not made anymore...you cant even get a nib exchange. They somehow lost the stamp for the nib design.

Thats what my guy at the boutique told me.

post-122110-0-22514600-1527526381_thumb.jpg

Edited by Memorexx

here you go :)

I don't have the Elphi pen though. The nib is really nice of that pen, but the cap engraving is kind of ugly

oh and the Berlin pen was only available in the Berlin store.

It's not made anymore...you cant even get a nib exchange. They somehow lost the stamp for the nib design.

Thats what my guy at the boutique told me.

fpn_1527528783__stadt_hamburg.jpg

~ Axis:

Is that the Johannes Kepler High Pede Serpentari Limited Edition 39?

If so, it's a great honor to see it posted here.

Thank you very much for sharing it. The exquisite craftsmanship exceeds any pen that I've ever seen.

The image showing the side view of the sapphire is especially impressive.

As one who has loved astronomy for over half a century, your pen has my highest admiration.

Tom K.

You are 100% correct - that is the Kepler 39 nib.

And I am happy I was right that the side view would be of special interest :)