Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

Tom -

But are they all the same model of pen?

-Yee

Yup, all 149s as that is the only model where you can order an O3B. He is showing the three colorways still available in production.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It appears that you can special order the O3B on other models though?

It is only available on pens with a #9 nib, the cheapest of which is a 149. You have seen some of the skeletons pens with the large nibs where it is also an option. Otherwise, you would have to order a bespoke nib and they are quite expensive and not easy to order for most due to the limited number of boutiques that offer the service.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Tom -

But are they all the same model of pen?

-Yee

~ Hi, Yee!

Yes, they are all Montblanc 149s.

One is Yellow Gold, One is Platinum, and one is Red Gold.

All write extremely well in every ordinary situation.

They're my daily writers.

Tom K.

It appears that you can special order the O3B on other models though?

~ Yee:

Respected FPN members Pravda and Ghost Plane both write with Skeletons fitted with OBBB nibs.

Their pens perform very well for them.

zaddick has lucidly explained the options for OBBB nibs.

Essentially they're nib exchanges for 149 pens — free if within six weeks of purchase — or for Skeletons and a few very special Limited Editions with large #9 nibs.

Going the Bespoke route is an option for other pens, but if one were to do so, there might be more interesting specialized nibs to consider.

Thank you so much for inquiring about OBBBs, about which zaddick, Ghost Plane and Pravda are all particularly knowledgeable.

Tom K.

Some websites, particularly in Europe have them listed as options on their websites. They don't actually stock them, but if you order from one they'll instead send the pen straight to Montblanc for a nib exchange, which may be easier than sending it in yourself. I have one, and though it's the most expensive pen I own (requiring the sale of many pens) it was totally worth it. The OBBB is a great nib, with tons of effortless line variation, and I love the 149. I find mine surprisingly easy to use, and it can take college notes with the best of them, keeping pace effortlessly with anything I throw at it. There was an event a few months ago where some on the forum used one pen for a month, and the 149 was mine. I feared I would grow tired of it, but I needn't have worried; the pen was and still is my favorite.

tl;dr: It was an expensive purchase, but was one I don't regret.

"Oh deer."

The OBBB is a great nib, with tons of effortless line variation, and I love the 149. I find mine surprisingly easy to use, and it can take college notes with the best of them, keeping pace effortlessly with anything I throw at it. There was an event a few months ago where some on the forum used one pen for a month, and the 149 was mine. I feared I would grow tired of it, but I needn't have worried; the pen was and still is my favorite.

~ benbot517:

Was the “use one pen for one month” event part of Fountain Pen Network?

I've never heard of this, but it sounds interesting.

That you used your 149 OBBB and found it satisfying reaffirms how useful OBBBs are for daily writing.

The greatest surprise to me about writing with OBBBs was that they accommodated smaller handwriting.

Prior to owning an OBBB I'd mistakenly supposed that the strokes, lines and dots they'd make would be splotchy messes.

Happily, that was misinformed speculation.

Thank you for strong endorsement of your OBBB nib. It's further evidence for yeepers to consider concerning the utility of writing with an OBBB nib.

I'm especially pleased to read that yours takes college notes. I use OBBBs to write notes in courses I teach.

I'd have loved to have used an OBBB when I was a graduate student. I'm very glad to know that you're doing so!

Tom K.

If you are expecting advice against over indulging, you are in the wrong place!

Truth!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

post-126100-0-12532100-1510252105_thumb.jpg

Sharing my currently inked nibs/ink.

Red: on a 14k semiflex medium cursive italic, J.Herbin Rouge Hematite.

Green: 18kt OB nib from Gaius Maecenas, Montblanc Irish green

Blue: 18kt medium cursive italic on Unicef, Sailor Souten

Purple: 14kt medium oblique cursive italic on Montblanc Lavander purple.

Tom,

Thats right, the colors were made by going back and forth with the nibs. That way i could better show the colors and some shading. I thought of doing drops of the ink, but it just would have looked super saturated!!

As for the photo, it was taken with my phone (Google Pixel 2 XL), i didn't need to take out the DSLR for this. Thank you so much for the compliments! I've been wanting to partake on this thread of yours..!

a 14k semiflex medium cursive italic.

18kt medium cursive italic on Unicef

14kt medium oblique cursive italic.

fpn_1510292861__pyramidal.jpg

Tom K,

I have set them each for customization.

14k nib was sent to Mike Matsuyama for customization. He gave it the added flex by opening the shoulders and thinning the metal. Then he made it a wonderful cursive italic.

The Medium Cursive italic on the 18k nib (unicef) was done by Nibsmith (Dan Smith). Its amazingly smooth as it was made precisely for me (my grip, my angle, my pressure).

And the 14k oblique cursive italic was too made by Dan Smith. This is by far my favorite writer... I just like the oblique line variation to be the pretiest for my cursive writing.

Next year i also plan on adding a new customization: 14k rose gold, 90th edition nib to be made into another oblique... Not sure if another cursive italic or a stub. I'm leaning towards the former.