Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all!

Well, count me amongst the convinced. OBBB it is! The question is....hypothetically, if you were going to get a second pen, what would your 2nd choice of nib size be?

fpn_1509984373__bohme_bleu_pencil.jpg

Bohème Bleu Pencil with Sleeve

For size comparison, my original Montblanc is shown, a 1980s 149 M

Well, count me amongst the convinced. OBBB it is! The question is....hypothetically, if you were going to get a second pen, what would your 2nd choice of nib size be?

fpn_1509985720__yeepers.jpg

Tom -

OB and not BB?

~ yeepers:

If I already had a 149 OBBB as a first pen, then I might enjoy using a less wide nib for certain types of writing.

In other words, a BB nib is lovely, I have two, but it's nearer in scale to an OBBB.

Your excellent question about a second pen brought to mind how enjoyable B nibs are, which contrast with their wider friends, the OBBBs.

A third pen might be an EF, in order to produce very fine lines.

Nevertheless, ignore my thoughts. There are regular Montblanc Forum posters with far more writing experience than I have.

They might have wiser, more down-to-earth views.

Again, I like your question, as it caused me to pause and think. Thank you for asking it.

Let's hope that there'll be other, contrasting replies.

Tom K.

Hi all!

I don't understand why you don't want 2 O3B nibs. They come in 3 different colors. :)

If you want a different size, I agree with Tom and suggest B or OB. Probably OB if buying new as they are more rare than B and hard to find used. If you want a B it is not too hard to find a nice used pen with one.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Tom -

Thanks for the great thoughts! I love the idea of OBBB all day long but it would be sheer silliness to have two of the exact same nib! I would like one that is different enough from the OBBB to be visually distinguishable but not aure I want to go to an EF from an OBBB. If the BB is fairly similar to the OBBB then perhaps a B or OM? Ideally I’d love an italic F or M for the second.

I don't understand why you don't want 2 O3B nibs. They come in 3 different colors. :)

If you want a different size, I agree with Tom and suggest B or OB. Probably OB I'd buying new as they are more rare than B and hard to find used. If you want a B it is not too hard to find a nice used pen with one.

I WAS kinda thinking that but thinking that might be overindulgence??

I WAS kinda thinking that but thinking that might be overindulgence??

If you are expecting advice against over indulging, you are in the wrong place! :)

I have multiples of every nib size except the discontinued OF and BBB and maybe OB. But most are vintage.

Edited by zaddick

Sorry, OF is the one 149 nib size I do not have. I'll see if I can post an OB writing sample.

Belated birthday greetings Tom, and what an excellent new thread about our enjoyable hobby. The illustrations and contributions are of a high quality.

I have a birthday this weekend, and will celebrate with a new pen.

Robin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A work in Progress!

Belated birthday greetings Tom, and what an excellent new thread about our enjoyable hobby. The illustrations and contributions are of a high quality.

I have a birthday this weekend, and will celebrate with a new pen.

Robin.

fpn_1510067615__pendantic.jpg

I went with OBBB and BB. To quote Mae West, Too much of a good thing is wonderful!

~ Ghost Plane:

“If some is good, more is better”, eh?

When it comes to the broadest nibs, I gladly second the motion.

Those two nibs are such dazzlers. Even the precious metal collars at the end of each barrel look great.

That such beauties are also outstanding daily writers enhances their worth into the priceless bracket.

Not content with a single Skeleton, your writing is done from two of the most stunning pens around.

Many, many thanks for sharing those images. They're most welcome to return anytime as such beauty inspires on each fresh encounter.

Tom K.

I have multiples of every nib size except the discontinued OF and BBB and maybe OB. But most are vintage.

Zaddick -

Do you think you might be able to post a sample of the OF vs the OB?

Sorry, OF is the one 149 nib size I do not have. I'll see if I can post an OB writing sample.

RoSpectre

Mint

• photo-134013.png?_r=1491149094
  • Member - Gold
  • gold_member.png

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:13

aksaiyo, on 19 Mar 2017 - 21:46, said:snapback.png

Using a 142 with an OF nib and Waterman Intense Black today. Very fun to write with :)

Please post a writing sample... I have an OM I love but I think OF would be ideal... I've yet to see a MB sample though!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/93236-what-mbs-are-you-using-today/page-136 (Post #2715)

***************************************************************************************************************

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/250773-meisterstuck-149-oblique-fine-nib/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/classifieds/item/47031-celluloid-montblanc-146-of-nib-14-c/

fpn_1510069064__image.png

***************************************************************************************************************

~ yeepers and zaddick:

The elusive Montblanc factory OF nib is seldom observed, i.e. about as much as a Zorilla (Ictonyx striatus) might be encountered on safari.

Both Montblanc and Pelikan Oblique Fine (OF) nibs tend to have a noticeable touch of flex.

They're treasured by sketch artists, particularly by naturalists who use them to make rapid sketches in field notebooks.

My interest in them remains high, particularly as I foolishly passed on a lovely Montblanc 3-42 G OF offered last year.

Tom K.

Tom -

Thanks for the great thoughts! I love the idea of OBBB all day long but it would be sheer silliness to have two of the exact same nib!

~ yeepers:

I completely agree.

Two of the exact same nib would be silly.

Therefore I went with three to remain down-to-earth.

Tom K.

fpn_1510071191__three_obbbs_on_indigo_si

Three OBBBs on Indigo Silk