Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

Tom, as per your request. Here is a photo of my 342G, DO, my only pen with an oblique nib. When I saw this pen at the Baltimore Pen Show I was captivated by the blue cap top. I have been told that the blue top was to set the pen apart from others on a desk in terms of the nibs suitability for use with carbon paper.

fpn_1543768318__blue_top_3-42_g.jpg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ha! You may know best.

Both the OBBB and the OBB nibs are great writers.

Maybe, Maybe not but only time will tell if my prediction comes true although I am optimistic. ;)

here are 1266s available as a friend pointed me to one with an EF nib.

I did come across it but would prefer something from the 'B' family.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

fpn_1544018623__ink_house.jpg

Ink House in Hong Kong

(Image by my cousin, Sam S., a fine arts undergraduate currently on an academic exchange in Hong Kong)

Umm...I might have accidentally acquired a Platinum 149 O3B. Herbins Orange Indien on Rhodia grid for all those needle-nibbers who insist these big nibs cant write small.

Ahem! How small do you need to go?

post-6430-0-98748400-1544020272_thumb.jpeg

~ Ghost Plane:

It dazzles in the graph paper space!

That's the widest needle nib I've ever seen...and what a beauty!

It slices, dices, thrusts, parries, and effortlessly lays down ink with heedless panache.

Here's wishing your holidays filled with hours of productive writing with your Platinum 149 OBBB!

Tom K.

How come I never have an accident like that?

I suspect it might be my ability to match my ink to my eyeshadow. Or my earrings. Or some such nonsense.

~ Due to intense local interference with Internet connections, the full set of images my cousin, Sam,

made of the Ink House in Hong Kong arrived one full day after being sent.

The Ink House offers inks and fine fountain pens.

My cousin is a 4th year fine arts major at the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) in

Savannah, Georgia. SCAD has a branch campus in Hong Kong's Sham Shui Po District.

fpn_1544092948__ink_house_view.jpg

fpn_1544093013__sailor_inks.jpg

fpn_1544093055__ink_shelves.jpg

fpn_1544093112__magnifying_lens.jpg

fpn_1544093162__danitrio.jpg

fpn_1544093206__display.jpg

fpn_1544093258__several_pens.jpg

@Ghost Plane Congrats on your accident! It looks great. Where must one go to have such accidents?

@Tom Please thank your Cousin for those images, they look quite magnificent. The art of making good photos seems to run strong in your family ;)

Umm...I might have accidentally acquired a Platinum 149 O3B. Herbins Orange Indien on Rhodia grid for all those needle-nibbers who insist these big nibs cant write small.

Ahem! How small do you need to go?

Acquiring another 149 is always a happening. Big congrats!!

Edited by Zdenek

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

~ I received an inquiry about appearance of the nib face of the Montblanc 342 OF pen.

Here's a sketch posted years ago in another FPN thread, showing various Montblanc nibs.

The OF nib does indeed resemble the OF nib sketched here.

Tom K.

fpn_1544169585__drawings.jpg

I did come across it but would prefer something from the 'B' family.

~ 1nkulus:

The ‘B’ family has its admirers, doesn't it?

That's not to slight the utility of the narrowest nibs, but rather to acknowledge the pleasure of writing with wide nibs.

High quality ink shows so well from a very broad nib.

Tom K.

~ Ghost Plane:

Each time that I look at the image of the rakish Platinum 149 OBBB I feel happy.

That's an author's fountain pen. A writing instrument of the of the finest quality.

In your daily work, it’ll see plenty of work — and what else is a fountain pen for?

Tom K.

@Tom Please thank your Cousin for those images, they look quite magnificent. The art of making good photos seems to run strong in your family ;)

~ NotAWiz4rd:

Thank you so much for your very kind comment.

I told my cousin, who was so pleased.

He's busily engaged in painting in the studio of his university campus in Hong Kong, inspired by what he sees there.

Tom K.

W.O.W.

I want to go to that store!

~ Reed_thoughts:

That's the kind of store where one visits without any set schedule.

Walking around, looking, handling, dreaming...shopping heaven!

Tom K.