Enjoying Montblanc Pens — Broad, Oblique, Extra Fine, Le & Bespoke

Tom Kellie

~ venemo:

Good luck on your upcoming electronics exam!

Thank you so much for your kind comment. It's great to know that you like the thread.

Your two images thrill me, as it's wonderful to see a Montblanc fountain pen used for university homework and exam preparation.

Such an ‘action shot’ of a beautiful nib in use is what I especially like.

The engraved markings on your Noblesse B remind me of the F-holes in stringed instruments in the violin family.

Such a nice post and excellent images!

Tom K.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Ghost Plane

• zaddick

• thygreyt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Happy Birthday, sir. It is always a great pleasure to read your interesting posts, Tom. They are even more special today because they include not only your ideas & opinions, but your beautiful photographs of some extraordinary nibs, and your lovely art. Thank you once again from an old retired overseas teacher to one who remains youthful & in the game. Many happy returns. Best wishes, Barry

fpn_1510558745__gabay.jpg

The 129, 139, 149, Dumas, Hemingway, and any limited editions based on the 149 platform (many LE pens are based on the 146 size) including a lot of skeleton pens and 149 special editions are the only pens with the #9 size nib.

The 129 nibs and many of the 139 nibs were labeled with the size of "250" before the nubs started to be marked L139 and the 149. The special edition pens do not have such a 149 marking.

I don't know how far back MB was making the 03B size. I have never seen a 129 or 139 nib in that width myself, but I have only seen a few 129s and maybe 25 139s so that is hardly an exhaustive sample. So it is possible the size was not available before the 1950s.

~ zaddick:

A very hearty thanks to you for posting the above summary of #9 nibs and OBBB nibs.

What you've very kindly written is exactly what I've sought in various sections of Fountain Pen Network, including here in the Montblanc section.

If I understand you, among relatively recent pens — non-vintage — it's the 149 in all of its versions, most Skeletons, the Hemingway and the Dumas which utilize the #9 nib.

In other words, no other Limited or Special Edition pens honoring writers, patrons of arts or assorted celebrities.

That's significant to me as I'm interested to know which pens might be capable of receiving an OBBB nib, were one to purchase that years after the original release.

My original question remains:

Have you or has anyone else seen, handled or read about any Hemingway or any Dumas which was retrofitted with an OBBB nib?

I've seen photos of several lovely Skeletons with OBBB nibs, and a variety of 149s. What I've yet to see or read about is any actual Hemingway or Dumas OBBB.

Are they out there...somewhere?

Again, zaddick, much appreciation for the lucid explanation above, which clarifies these questions.

Tom K.

fpn_1510573585__golden_dragon.png

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/218407-montblanc-139/

~ The comment above mentions the Year of the Dragon 2000 pen as also being based on the 139.

Is that the case? Is it indeed comparable in nib size to the Hemingway and Dumas pens?

Tom K.

Damn it. I forgot about that pen. Yes, it is basically the Hemingway shape with a #9 nib.

My memory is moving from an EF to an O3B - precise and sharp to broad and fanciful. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Damn it. I forgot about that pen. Yes, it is basically the Hemingway shape with a #9 nib.

My memory is moving from an EF to an O3B - precise and sharp to broad and fanciful. :)

~ zaddick:

Thank you for the confirmation.

For those reading this thread, it's helpful to know which pens are #9 nibs, in case anyone has dreams of OBBB and wants to consider the possibilities.

Like you, my thoughts shift...one moment Bespoke EEF...the next moment OBBB leaning toward Bespoke Signature.

BTW: I love your handwritten post to celebrate yeepers slipping into the 149 Community.

Tom K.

Nice nib and beautiful writing. Welcome to 149 club!

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Beautiful camellias.

Have we introduced yeepers to MB inks yet? (Enabler mode)

:D I'd like to try a few of them but trying to find a good source for them without going overseas. Any recommendations for favorite colors??

Personally, Shakespeare red, UNICEF blue, lucky orange, corn poppy red, exupéry (that one really surprised me in person).

The psychedelic purple, from the internet pictures I've seen looks like it's going to be wonderful as well.

~ The recent discussion about #9 nibs on 149s, Skeletons, Year of the Dragon 2000, Hemingway and Dumas pens caused me to seek photos contrasting larger and smaller WE nibs.

From a 2009 thread, here are images taken by Ghost Plane's friend, Bryant of Chatterley Luxuries, showing a Dumas beside a Schiller.

The scale differential between the respective nibs is striking. The #9 Dumas nib is impressive adjacent to the lovely but smaller Schiller.

Bryant's images are such high quality examples of pen and nib photography that I'll add a couple of his close-ups of the Schiller.

Tom K.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/90103-pictures-of-the-montblanc-schiller/

fpn_1510764621__two_pens.png

Dumas vs Schiller

fpn_1510764780__crossbow.png

William Tell's Crossbow on the Schiller Nib

fpn_1510764927__close-up_schiller.png

Schiller Amber Cap Close-up

I'd like to try a few of them but trying to find a good source for them without going overseas. Any recommendations for favorite colors??

fpn_1510767241__burgundy_red.jpg